Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scorecard was updated but they left out westerns doe.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks - I'll have Brad update the score card shortly.

I just got back from 4 days in NE Iowa. I saw a pile of deer and had deer within bow range almost every sit, just nothing big enough. The little bucks are chasing pretty hard but the big boys were all still laying low. I felt like I was in some great spots, I was just a touch early I think.

Hopefully I'll get back in about a week for another 3 day stretch and things will be moving a little better by then.

3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Adam, Happy Birthday. Great buck congrats again

alenhard15 likes this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving for Illinois in the the morning, great weather and wind is in the forecast. I think I have some awesome spots picked out for the weekend depending on how much they flooded the Lake for duck season. Even if it's flooded, it will narrow down some spots, I'm planning on sitting close to a big crp (non-huntable) field and using the elevated rail road tracks as a funnel. I found some crossing spots from the CRP to the public land, no one can hunt the CRP and I "believe" that is the best bedding area. I've noticed that the deer farm deer like to bed in the CRP, I figure the public deer will take the same approach, or I could be completely off-track. Hunting flat open woods is tricky finding those funnels zones.
    Fingers crossed I can tag a monster buck and doe this weekend, I'm ready to slay some deer.

5. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    The guys at THP say that the second week of November is usually better in Iowa. Good luck on your next trip!

alenhard15 likes this.
  6. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The 2nd week in November is always better everywhere - but it's also when more people come out to hunt. I was hoping to avoid people and pressure by going at the end of October. It seems like Nov 1 is the trigger for everyone to come out of the woodwork and start pounding the timber.

I believe my biggest problem is that I was focused on doe bedding and I just don't think the big bucks were in there yet - at least not during daylight. I needed to be a little bit closer to buck bedding, but with limited time to hunt and scout I wasn't sure where that was.

I have a couple spots picked out that are going to be killer all day sit locations. One is right up next to a doe bedding area on a small bench that's on the side of a massive bluff. In 2 morning sits I saw 12 deer come across that same little bench. The first morning I was too far down the hill so I repositioned my stand. The next morning every deer I saw was in bow range. I'm feeling like that spot is going to pay off once the deer are really starting to move. I just need to make sure I get in early and beat the rest of the guys to the punch.

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    wonder why my doe was left out? an oversight? or was something missing?
    we are off to a good start, but bucks should start hitting the ground at a fast pace soon!
    I'm going to head out this afternoon and sit a ground blind with my daughter, assuming it did not blow away in the storm last pm.
    I'm still perplexed why my cameras are so slow right now. Too much food I would guess. Bumper acorn crop this year and the whole ridge above me is littered with them. Unfortunately, I do not have permission to be up there. I don't think anyone does, however, I know people are most likely sneaking in from abutting properties.
    The blind is in a brush Island toward the north end of the field. it over looks a giant apple tree on the edge of the field. The field edge has several huge oaks dropping like crazy. There are a few scrapes on the edge about 50 yards from blind. I do have pics of some nice bucks cruising the edge after dark, but that's about it. Maybe i'll lay down a scent drag from the scrape down past the apple tree and past the blind.. worth a shot I guess.

10. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    butcher called on wednesday and my meat is done, i should be able to get my buck scored this weekend or early next week for submission! heading out tomorrow morning here in PA... good luck guys!

Justin and Western MA Hunter like this.
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Buck movement while hunting and on cameras has been ultra slow this fall. Apparently none of them got the memo that the rut is starting. Or maybe they're all confused about their gender? Possible whitetail #metoo movement has the bucks scared to chase? Hard to say!

12. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am having severe case of FOMO right now guys. I just cancelled my week off of vacation for next week since I already punched one of my buck tags. In Missouri I can't shoot another buck until rifle or after rifle season. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my success earlier this season but I'm just missing the hunting and getting away from work for a while. I'm sure most of you can relate to that!

alenhard15 likes this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Buy an IL tag and get after it!

alenhard15 and rednas5 like this.
  14. Jonathan Barlar

Jonathan Barlar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out Halloween with the Boss buck decoy. Had a decent 8pt come to my rattling but he wanted nothing to do with the decoy.

Went to a new farm yesterday and saw nothing.

Hopefully will be out this afternoon and Sunday morning.

Good luck!

15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect am. In an hour b4 daylight. 2 shooters on cam last night on scrape. 730 am I hear a ruckus in driveway below. Up comes a dumpster roll off truck, a van, and 2 huge ladder 1 tons. Up to the roof they went. Loud. Prob louder Bc I was so pissed. And that was the end of my sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Had an eventful evening yesterday. Watched 3 different 1.5yo bucks go at it yesterday and chase some does. I went for a sit on public this morning but it was cut short. A good friend shot a buck this morning and lost blood. I came to help track it and got back on blood. We followed it for close to 100yds and bumped him 4hrs after the shot. We ended up watching the buck swim across a fairly large river and out the other side. I'm guessing it was just a leg hit due to the deer still being alive and able to get across the river fine. In all my years of hunting, that was a first. I did pull a card while on the public this morning. These were the only bucks to show up.

Screenshot_20191102-193304_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191102-193240_Gallery.jpg

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Went out Friday night - saw a couple dink bucks and a doe.
    Went out last night - got skunked

Gonna take the next couple days off to spend some time with the kids, wash all my gear and get regrouped. I'm starting to feel a bit burned out.

19. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Seen a small 8 chasing a doe at first light then a spike cruising. Seen about a dozen does but nothing behind them. There were quite a few folks on that piece of public this morning. Not sure if they knew that the gun hunt was over yesterday.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  20. Jonathan Barlar

Jonathan Barlar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down!
    More pics later.

Attached Files: