Nock n' Roll - Team 9

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by LittleChief, Aug 26, 2019.

1. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the tree now.
    I'm off tomorrow and Monday then I'm off a shotgun blast of days through the 17th.

Good Luck, everyone!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

LittleChief and Westfinger like this.
  2. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So it was 70 degrees last night and dropped to 42 this morning. I hung a lock on over a fresh rub last night. This morning I hiked in super early got up in my stand and grabbed my harness. One problem...my tree strap was in my truck. Hoped down hiked out and back in and got up just before shooting light. My buddy is hunting just up from me and saw a doe so far but I have seen no movement which is really surprising. I’m gonna try and sit all day but I was drenched in sweat from this mornings fiasco so right now I’m pretty cold. I have tons of deer and big bucks on all my cameras but 95% of them are at night. Turns out the other couple guys who hunt this property have been putting corn out religiously all year. Nothing against baiting but it doesn’t do it for me, I like looking at sign and figuring deer out. Unfortunately it seems like the corn may have already made the deer nocturnal. My only hope is that this cold front starts the rut and gets them on their feet or it’s gonna be a long season. I’ll keep updating throughout the day.

3. marshbanks12

Dislikes Received:
    This is the best buck I have seen on camera for a camera pull update.

Attached Files:

4. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:

Westfinger and LittleChief like this.
  5. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After that storm blew through yesterday and last night I HAD to get out this morning...temps dropped almost 20 degrees from 2am-7am this morning...wsw wind 10-18 miles per hour...it was actually pretty calm...the ten pointer cane in from the north instead of the south...eating acorns on the edge of them hemlocks...I grunted, he heard...he looked around and got down wind...didn’t like it and trotted off...if only I was in my other stand...he walked right by it...I haven’t sat in it yet but I guess it’s time. Winds will be the same tomorrow but it’ll be 10-15 cooler than this morning...down to 30...fingers crossed!!

6. marshbanks12

Dislikes Received:
    Update: just had a real pretty 8 working the creek bottom. Grunted him in to about 30 yards but he was in thick brush and had no shot. He walked off after about 10 minutes

7. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll bet that got your blood pumping.

8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update guys. Glad to hear you guys are getting out and seeing some bucks.
    I bumped one on the way in this afternoon. So far this afternoon I’ve just had a few doe come by.
    Those are some great bucks MB. Definitely makes it easier to do an all day when you have some bruisers roaming around.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. marshbanks12

Dislikes Received:
    Update 2: I forgot I had overtime tonight at 6pm so I had to climb down. It was still extremely windy and nothing seemed to want to be on its feet and moving. If it was good I may have said forget work

10. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I pulled the card by my timber stand this morning. Good news is that my #1 from last year is back. He's getting older and really started to decline in rack size. He's definitely an old war horse. It would be a privilege to take a deer that old and wise.

11. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck out there WF!!!
    Knock the air out of something!

12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Just got off the phone with my son. He's still about 3 hours out. He's so excited about this hunt that he's positively giddy. Reminds me of me when I was young. Well, it reminds me of me now.

He's even more excited now that I've killed a buck with my bow because he knows I'll put him in my best spots. The little jerk. :lol:

Anyway, I was supposed to pick up two rank of firewood today from a local here but he wasn't home when I got there and hasn't answered his phone all day. I just drove back over there and the gate is locked now so I know he's been there.

You used to be able to depend on country folk but times have changed and the country folk around here now all seem to be stereotypical half a set of teeth having hillbilly rednecks who are all strung out on meth.

Depressing.

13. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  14. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    You get that close to Arkansas and things are bound to get weird.

LittleChief and Westfinger like this.
  15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Westfinger likes this.
  16. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my officers went out & sat in a ground blind within eye site of my ladder stand. He advised there were 7 doe under my stand. Apparently eating walnuts
    Headed there Monday after work

17. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been pretty dialed in on the doe these last few sits. I’m hoping that the shooter bucks will eventually show up?

Good luck guys stay after em!

foodplot19 likes this.
  18. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
  19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellows, I messed up.

I debated long and hard about whether to post this or not but it just seems like the right thing to do.

A week ago this morning I shot that 10 point. When I got down and walked up to it I notched by tag using the Missouri Hunting app and went to the truck and met my son-in-law as I said in my story.

I was on cloud nine, guys. It was my biggest bow buck and it was a hoss of a buck. We took pics. We celebrated.

After we finished processing the deer we shot bows. We threw darts and drank a few beers.. Finally I went to bed.

At 4:20 am I snapped awake and remembered that I hadn't telechecked the buck. I shook the cobwebs out of my head, grabbed my phone and got it done.

Well, yesterday morning I got a phone call from the CO for Henry County, MO. I won't say he was a D**K, but he was close. I told him exactly what had happened and then listened to a lecture from a guy younger than me on what the proper things in life to celebrate were. He told me "it's just a deer, after all. Eventually he stopped just short of accusing me of shooting the deer at night and I was very close to losing it. The fact that I notched the tag electronically (which can't be undone) an hour after I shot the buck seemed to be irrelevant. If I were trying to poach why in the hell would I notch the tag?

I was as polite as I could possibly be, though. He said I deserved a ticket and I told him "I couldn't agree with you more. I made a mistake and I'm more than willing to own up to it and pay the penalty."

Anyway, after about 30 minutes of this he said he would have to "kick it around" and he would get back to me later.

He called me this morning and said that he would be sending me a ticket for failing to check the animal in the required timeframe. I thanked him for his time and apologized for making his job more difficult.

It's probably going to cost me about $200 based on what I can find on the web. I don't care about that though.

I'm 56 years old. I've had three speeding tickets in my life and that's it. All three of those were in a 35 mph zone and my speed was in the 40s. I've always done my absolute best to follow the law and do the right thing, legally and morally.

To be honest, I am totally humiliated and it casts a shadow on the buck I killed. I now have a game violation on my record. I'm not sure I'll ever look at that rack on the wall with the same level of pride I would have had if I had just paid a little more attention to detail.

It is still going on the wall though.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  20. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Dang.

I don't know what else to say Chief.

That sucks. I wish you would've said something sooner. I have some pretty good friends in Henry County. We may have been able to make this go away.

Don't let a brain fart take away from that buck!
    He's awesome!