Team 1 - Team One Shot Wonders

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MN-IN.A.TREE likes this.
  2. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This cold snap is making things happen for me here in SW Wisconsin. Lots of fighting and lots of chasing. I got to see some cool chasing going on by what I think was a 3 year old. He sure was working all the ladies in the bean field. He cleared the field twice! Fun evening but I’m really Looking forward to the morning. 24 degrees in the AM.. hope you had a good evening to ridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not chasing here yet but that sounds awesome. I think this week will get them in gear around here. I'll be at work thinking about not being at work.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Zblevins likes this.
  4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Thursday thru Sunday. It was really slow, I saw 3 spikes and a bunch of does. On Sunday morning I saw my first actual buck, I didnt get a real good look at him because he came out right a first light at 40yrds. If I had to guess he was about 100" 8pt.

Hoping next weekend brings more chasing, nothing gets me more fired up than seeing a buck with his nose to the ground chasing does.

5. MN-IN.A.TREE

Dislikes Received:
    No chasing for me this morning. Saw a few does with nothing behind them. A couple smaller bucks heading up to a ridge top that they like to bed on. Passed on a 3 year old we have lots of pics of. A younger deer was following him and the 3 year old wasn’t pumped about it. Kept turning around and trying to run him away. He then proceeded to destroy some little trees and shrubs at 15-25 yards for 10 minutes. Fun morning. Heading back to tuck into a ground blind for the evening. 2 days ago my number one walked by it right at the end of shooting light.

Zblevins likes this.
  6. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man you guys are gettin my blood pumping. I'll be back out at the farm next week and the week after. Got all my points in and still get to hunt, what a feeling!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MN-IN.A.TREE and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  7. MN-IN.A.TREE

Dislikes Received:
    And some of the best hunting is yet to come. Be sure to give us some hunt updates even though your points are in. Day’s at work are filled with glances at the forum living vicariously through those who are out!!

JGD, Blarney22 and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  8. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha I heard that! I'll definitely still be checking in, hoping to put an arrow through another big buck. Even though it wouldn't count for the contest I'd love to break 100". Even if I don't get another buck this year has been amazing so far. Had some good sightings on the urban hunt already, shot a monster Ritchie county 6 point that's my best deer ever. After the next two weeks I'll just be wishing it was October again lol. The offseason takes far too long imo.

MN-IN.A.TREE, Ridgerunner3 and Fix like this.
  9. stephenky

stephenky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I check it out I leave for work in four days. Don't have a lot of time and been remodeling house

10. stephenky

stephenky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting in tree this morning and know I'm being still enough when a squirrel try to kiss you lol. Good luck everyone.

11. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you anchor one!

12. MN-IN.A.TREE

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. Hope you have some good hunts before heading back to work.

13. MN-IN.A.TREE

Dislikes Received:
    I’m back from my couple days of hunting. Passed on my number 3 last night from the ground blind. had two 3 year olds we have plenty of pics of that showed up to the tree this morning. picked up my bow last night when that 3rd on the hit list buck stepped out but Never clip the release. Once I clip my release... I kill. Ive never talked myself out of it after clipping my release. I’m glad I let him walk though. There are 2 better ones around, its not November, and the corn is still standing so things should start popping even more very soon.

Working for the next 6 nights so stick it to em if anyone is getting out in the near future!

Blarney22 and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello fellas, sorry for the "no report" from Kansas. I was constantly on the go trying to figure out where all the deer I had on camera have gone and I was exhausted when I got in at night. Had some great experiences but never saw a mature deer during shooting hours. I was not ready to take a doe in the locations I was hunting but had several encounters with does. Had one sniffing me at 3 yards while sitting on the ground. She never figured me out and walked away. A little later a two year old 8 pt walked out of the woods and gave me a broadside shot at 27 yds but not what I'm looking for. Shortly after that two coyotes came by at 12 yards, a pretty cool sit. I also had a young 8 pt under my stand the next day and a young doe. I never laid eyes on a mature buck during daylight. I did an observation sit one night and saw 18 deer come into a cut corn field and gather on the south end. The first 8 deer where bucks but not shooters. Just at dark two monster bodied deer walked out but it was too dark to see what they were. The next morning I went back after doing a sit elsewhere and checked out the tree line the deer had come out on the night before. It was completely torn up with scrapes and rubs. The wind shifted from south to north that day and no deer showed up on that tree line. I was pretty surprised. I spent a lot of time scouting as the mature deer I had on camera in September have completely disappeared and there were at least 6 good shooters. Moved a few cameras and walked a bunch of land and got back last night.

I have a special draw hunt here in Texas this weekend Friday through Sunday and will head back to Kansas on Tuesday of next week. Hopefully the mature deer will be moving in daylight.

Blarney22 likes this.
  15. MN-IN.A.TREE

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good time JGD. November is knocking on the door step. Should get nothing but better.

JGD likes this.
  16. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for the update, sounds like it was a cool trip

17. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck for those of you getting out this weekend. Received 3-4" snow today in my area. I cant recall every rut hunting in the snow, should be interesting.

Zblevins and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  18. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally at it again boys. Let’s see if I can’t do it right this time. ‍♂️

MN-IN.A.TREE and Zblevins like this.
  19. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed back to the farm for the next two weeks! Or until I can kill 2 more deer whichever comes first lol. Either way my ass ain't punching a time clock for the next 16 days!

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m on the second day of the special draw hunt and it’s been brutal. Rattled in 4 bucks all at the same time yesterday morning. One good deer never gave me a shot. Haven’t seen a deer since. Sat 12 hrs yesterday. Guys on other parts of the area are seeing bucks chasing does. My buddy saw two fawns. I moved to a new spot for this evening. Got tomorrow and back to Kansas on Tuesday. Good luck fellas.

MN-IN.A.TREE and Ridgerunner3 like this.