Bow Must Have's for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by h.mendell, Oct 22, 2019.

1. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey All,

Brand Newbie with a compound here. I bought a brand new fully outfitted Hoyt Klash this weekend. I do need to buy a stabilizer I believe and am wondering what everyone recommends, as well as, recommendations that made your life as a bow hunter a little better. Specs below.

Hoyt Klash
    Draw: 24
    Draw Weight: 35

The shop set me up with Hunter Gold Tip 500 Arrows. Length is 25 on them.

NMGuy likes this.
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Credit card with a high limit and an understanding/tolerant wife.
    Anyway, good luck with the new bow! Pictures of your first deer?

Countersg and NMGuy like this.
  3. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    my husband is pretty good about it. We actually went to get some stuff for his bow, and I ended up walking out with one haha. I’m hooked now though. I got my first deer with the crossbow, super little 5 pt, but it’s meat in the freezer! Stoked to get in the woods with my compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Attached Files:

k8elynne and Joe Tairei like this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the passion and the forum. As for the stabilizer, I shot with and without the make my decision and definitely like the feel with a Bee 8 inch. One thing I did have for years but have moved away from is the wrist strap.

5. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did go ahead and braid myself up a wrist strap but I’m still iffy about it. I’ve shot with a 5”, 6.4 oz stabilizer and it helped but was a hair heavy for me so I think I’m going with a 5”, 4.5 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I picked the B because you can adjust the plates at the end, which allowed me to balance out a little better. But do what you like and what makes you zero out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    h.mendell likes this.
  7. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Profile says she is female. Lol.

That doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a wife though I guess? Or nagging spouse.

Anyways. Agreed on the Credit card! Lol.

I too ditched my wrist strap. Hated the thing.

I’m fairly new too so not much help I can give you for accessory advice. I don’t know what accessories are all on my friends bows that I’ve shot. Haven’t tried enough to give a good assessment and recommendation. My black gold sight is pretty sweet though. As are my buddies spot hogs.

Luckily though, I’ve got three friends and turns out we all have the same draw length! So I can always try out their new stuff and vice versa!

Get a good release. I tried a few out and settled on a Scott Shark. It’s very touchy but a crisp trigger. Make sure to apply forward pressure till you reach full draw!

Only other advice I can give you is to buy spares for items you may leave behind; such as a release. And wear appropriate clothing for the elements you’ll be out in as a hunter. Good boots... paramount. Get good boots. And a decent first aid kit.

Oh, and practice makes perfect! Get some help from more experienced folks and get out there and try to shoot a few arrows every day that you can! Don’t overdo it and hurt yourself though!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And sorry to be that guy, but your arrows are wrong. You should be shooting 600 until at least 50lb DW. If you have issues tuning look there first.

9. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You are totally fine. That was my next question for everyone was arrow and broadhead recommendations. From everything I've seen I need a lighter setup since my draw isnt that heavy. Ive seen good things about the Easton Axis. I can honestly probably move up to 40lb draw, I just need to take it back to the shop to get it adjusted.

10. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input! Im already thinking about a different arrow rest, but ill mess with that later. Been shooting daily and cant wait to take it out! Got some dandies on the cam! Im still iffy on the wrist strap, thought I needed it but Im changing my mind the more I shoot. Just one more thing to worry about.

11. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve only used one Broadhead so far.

I put a G5 Deadmeat into a coyote.

It worked great. But I have two cons.

The blades rattle something fierce.
    And they have to be disassembled and cleaned after you use them. The grooves fill with blood, dirt, mud, etc very easily.

Muzzy, G5, and Rage seem to be some of the most common brands.

Idk what kind of area you’ll be hunting but I’d bet a fixed blade would be better for you than a mechanical.

12. h.mendell

h.mendell Newb

Dislikes Received:

From what I've read and seen, fixed blade is best since I'm low poundage. Muzzy keeps popping up so Ill look into those for sure! Area we hunt is NE Oklahoma on our property, pretty good grassland with some timber. The timber isn't real heavy though.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed blade is best no doubt. Slick tricks is where I would go if I were you. As for DW shoot what you can heavy is better but you will be fine.

14. Soman16

Soman16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t use a wrist strap either I found that for some reason it makes me inaccurate

Fix likes this.
  15. Kenneth Jasinski

Kenneth Jasinski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to bow hunting, you can start out with reasonably priced equipment and upgrade as you go. But you dont need top of the line accessories. As for stabilizer, dont go overboard, you can use the 5 inch and then add some weight to it if needed, some allow you to add some weight. As for broadheads, id 100% go with a fixed blade, cut on contact head, low poundage and short draw is not good for mechanical heads. Muzzy is a great head and has been around for ever and a ton of people swear by them, i am shooting the Magnus buzzcut. As for arrows, i think a heavier arrow setup is better for your setup, you need more kinetic energy with the low poundage. But the setup you have with a fixed blade head you should be fine. Accuracy is key. Goodluck this year!

16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the addiction!
    Stabilizer, I like the B-Stinger hunter line so I can add/remove 1 oz. weights. 6" or 8"

Wrist Strap is personal preference. Many shoot without them. I would flat out drop my bow every shot if I didn't use one, I was taught to never "grip" through out the entire shot. The main thing about a wrist release is don't have it too tight. Put a glove on your hand and adjust the wrist strap so your gloved hand can easily go through it. It should not pull or have any tension anywhere on your wrist.

For a broad head (BH) definitely go with a fixed. Regular Muzzy's are inexpensive, as far as BH go anyway, and work fine. I've been using them for years for elk and have never had an issue. I like that they come with practice blades, and replacement blades are easy to find. If there is one single thing I could recommend about a BH, it is to keep the blades RAZOR sharp! A dulled blade pushes arteries out of the way as it goes through, a sharp one cuts them. Since it's whole method to kill is hemorrhaging that is super important. I would never hunt with blades that I had shot into a target unless I had resharpened them. I sharpen or replace blades on all arrows that were in my quiver the whole last season.

Turning up your poundage is easy, no need for a shop. The limb bolts just need tightened, they are the bolts at each end of the limb where they connect to the riser. They have to be turned the same amount, keep them even. All there is to it. If you tighten the top one 3/4 of a turn, the bottom one must also be tightened 3/4 of a turn.

You made the comment that you should stay light on arrows because of your low poundage...not entirely true. Not for hunting anyway. Since you aren't pulling a lot of poundage, you will need a decent weight arrow to ensure penetration on a deer. That is also the reason to stay with fixed BH"s. A shop should be able to help out. Although Fix pointed out that they set you up with a stiffer spine arrow than you currently need, they may have done that on purpose knowing that new archers generally go up in poundage fairly quickly. I'd verify that before fully trusting they know what they're doing though.