Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys. I’m sitting in meetings 3 hrs from home. Won’t be home until after dark. Both of my daughters are running a race tomorrow am which I’m bringing them too. I will be out in afternoon for sure in NY. Maybe fill another doe tag. Hoping my mass spits turn on soon. Checking cams tomorrow mid day

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Jonathan Barlar

Jonathan Barlar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be out Sunday morning for a couple hours. Supposed to be a ENE wind which is perfect for my 2nd favorite setup. I don’t have much time to be in stand but It’s rare to get a perfect wind so I’m going for it.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Wednesday after we got 2” of rain but the wind that blew in after was 30-40mph gusts and the deer didn’t like the loud woods. I only saw one doe and she was hustling into the corn. Our 3-day early muzzleloader is in now so we’ll see how the action is next week

4. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a lone skipper tonight. Had a spike on cam the past 2 nights. Lots of does and just the spike.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Busted my butt all weekend, could have taken a doe Friday evening but didn’t want to deal with it that night, especially being the first night. I smoked my gear and 4 doe were curious about the smell and walked right to me and hung out, they hung out so long I had to throw stuff at them to try and get them to leave without busting me. I even threw a water bottle at them, kind of funny in way, took about 45 min to get them to leave.
    I scouted hard for my next hunt in a few weeks up there. I really wanted to punch a tag this weekend but it will pay off when I go back the weekend of Nov.2. I was crawling through really thick stuff looking for beds, trails and anything promising, found some stuff and may have located a big bucks travel route.
    Overall, I’d call it a success, I have some great info for my next weekend in Illinois, bonus is that the weather for that weekend is supposed to get down into the 30’s; it will be the same weekend as last year when I got my buck.
    I’m going to try and get back on my Tennessee 12 point until then, but I’m kind of banking on an Illinois buck as well.
    That’s all for me for now, good luck to everyone.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  6. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season has kicked off in GA. Looking forward to being one of very few bowhunters on most of the better public land. I did take the son of a friend of mine to the youth firearms hunt at one of the WMAs that I hunt. We had a good time even though he didn't get a shot on one. I did show him different types of trees and a variety of different acorns. He had fun so it was a success in my book.

7. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’ll finally be able to dedicate some time to the woods after next weekend. Kids birthday weekend went well. Leaving Thursday for Marathon and we get back late Monday and then I’ll be in the office for 2.5 days and then off for 14 of the next 18 days to hunt.
    Good luck everyone

Sent using Smoke Signals

S.McArthur and Western MA Hunter like this.
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck for Rednas5. Shouldn't the contest score be 150 3/8? I thought it was the total gross score. If so, the 1 2/8 abnormal point should be added in. Why short yourselves.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Greg - we'll take a look at it.

SUPER slow weekend for me. Saw a couple does Friday night and that was it. I hunted locally here in IL on Saturday night - Sunday morning at my lease in NW IL and then Sunday night in NE Iowa. Not a single deer to be found! Thankfully the weather and moon phase are looking great over the next 10 days. Hoping when I get back to Iowa next weekend I'll have better luck.

alenhard15 likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    On a positive note, the farmer left us over 1/2 acre of beans when he cut last week and the 2 food plots on our lease look amazing so we should have some awesome late-season hunting this year. That works out great for me as I'll likely spend most of November in Iowa and leave the IL farm alone. If this guy doesn't get clipped first he's the one I'm after. A big, fat 5 year old.

Attached Files:

CMTRAV and Western MA Hunter like this.
  11. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Greg! I think you're right. I just took for granted it was all added up and didn't double check that. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  12. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    going out to hang a set in the rain tonight so that i can hunt tomorrow after work! Anyone else getting out this week?

Justin likes this.
  13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was able to get the stand up, perfect tree I’m only about 12 feet off the ground, maybe 15 but the cover is great and if the deer do what they did this weekend I’ll have a 10-15 yard shot, will be hunting this tomorrow evening and then Saturday, I may do an all day sit, we will see what happens

15. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Snuck out for an afternoon hunt, thought my big fella was stepping out but it was a different buck. This buck was kind of cool, had 4or 5 on one side and a big spike with maybe 1 point. He was inside his ears and not the one I want so he got a pass.
    I’ll be out again Friday evening, big boy has been showing his face around 5:30pm so hopefully I get a shot.

Justin likes this.
  16. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a crazy busy week but the time had finally come! Headed out to MO for 5 full days in the tree. I've been seeing a few deer on their feet in PA so I'm hopeful that we will have some action. I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Santa's coming!" -Buddy the Elf

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

alenhard15 likes this.
  17. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things been slow so far. Target buck broke a tine, hoping I can get a shot at this one now. 20191022_194143.jpg

pastorbigdan and Justin like this.
  18. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys, talk to you again soon.

19. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    nice looking buck.
    all of my bucks are heavily nocturnal. not one daylight picture and nothing consistent.
    I may head to NY this afternoon where there are a couple of bucks (nocturnal) but showing every night. They are not big, but would be fine for public land NY bucks.
    I am trying to stay out of my stands that have the big boys around them usually until the time is right. I don't want to go in and educate them this early. I'll wait till the time is right to take my chances.

20. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    checked a cam on a scrape where the big boy is running around. He did't hit it, but another 8pt was there last pm at 6:05pm. A doe was there at 5:30pm. I put a bit of scent out and am going to get back up in there tonight with my climber. He isn't huge but a nice buck for this area.