Team 5 - Cinco de Arrow

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Brad Kaufmann, Aug 26, 2019.

1. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily I can hunt Sundays. I usually work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. I do most of my hunting on Sundays. The wind looks good for Tuesday morning. I'll probably hunt for a few hours then.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Happy likes this.
  2. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a doe and two little ones. I could have killed either of the fawns but mama never came close enough for a shot. Going again Tuesday morning for a few hours.

Holt likes this.
  3. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven’t been on in awhile and just caught up on last several pages of posts. Congratulations to those with early season success.

I have been out a few times but nothing to my liking as of yet. We typically run a bout a month behind most of you in regard to seasonality of the rut. Our best time period typically is November 20th-December 10th. Just starting to see a few rubs.

If all goes well, I will be hunting a spot Wednesday and/or Thursday where a decent buck travels through from bedding to a wheat field. I have been waiting on the correct wind direction as it is a tricky area to hunt. Based on forecast, I should have opportunity in a couple of days.

Hopefully, I will get some hunting in over the weekend as well. Last two weekends were family commitments/activities.

Our fawns still have some spots. Not being judgmental to those that do as I know science backs it up as being a sound practice to do so and fawns are capable of taking care of themselves, but as I mentioned, our rut is about a month later than most, and it’s too early for me to want to shoot a doe. But that transition time is quickly approaching.

KDORSETT12, Holt, Happy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Helped a buddy of mine who hunts a small 4 acre chunk of property that adjoins where I hunt trail and find a buck last night. He was sending me texts saying he saw one then he hit one and was tracking blood. It seemed like he was getting ready to quit searching so I drove over to help search. The deer actually ran into property that I hunt and hit was high so blood wasn’t great. After 10 minutes I picked up trail again and it wasn’t 50 more yards and we found him. He was so excited. It been 25 years since he shot a buck with his bow. IMG_0708.JPG
    Turns out he died about 100 yards down over hill from where I got this pic of him in early oct.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Brad Kaufmann and Holt like this.
  5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I’m going to skip hunting tonight. Weather seems pretty crappy this afternoon to this evening. Should be able to get out tomorrow evening instead. No sense being miserable and wet for 3 hours if I don’t have to.

Holt likes this.
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here for me. Weather not so great, so I'm going to put in a long day of work. Then tomorrow skip out of work alittle early. Think I'm going to hunt a different area tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happy likes this.
  7. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up seeing 5 or 6 deer. Had a 2 y/o buck bumping a doe around, not really chasing her, just annoying her. Then had 2 does chasing each other around. Then right at last light I had a doe come into the food plot and not get within range until it was too late. To make matters worse, I had a nice 10 moving in daylight at my other spot a few times last week, so I hunter there Sunday morning and evening, and guess what....we got pictures of doe's Sunday and yesterday evening at our spot close to the office. That's just how my luck has been these last couple years. But we're going out tomorrow morning, so hopefully I can get a doe or decent buck on the board for us!

8. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's that daytime walker I was talking about...we've got tons of pics of him during the summer, body size tells me he might only be 3, but he's getting an arrow in him if I get a chance!

Attached Files:

KDORSETT12, Holt and Happy like this.
  9. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted this morning until the wind picked up. Had a doe and small fawn come in. The fawn was to young for me to feel comfortable taking the doe. I did have another buck show up on camera that won't get a pass. [​IMG]

10. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some more daytime movement on my cam, buddy that hunts same property sent me this monster he got on his cam back in September , hopefully he shows himself in November ! EAF7BF63-79A8-4837-B747-89D3046B177C.jpeg 5A6075C8-CC40-40D5-8BEA-6115A1B5CC1E.jpeg 8F8CC604-954C-457F-911E-56FF0ED754D5.jpeg 589C431B-E5BA-421C-8D00-D4852B37DA39.jpeg

Happy and rbhunting1 like this.
  11. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry I haven’t posted in a while, I’ve been pretty busy. I just uploaded both deer to the scorecard. My buck didn’t score quite as much as I thought (Texas bucks are very deceiving haha) but I was able to get us 148 points with the buck and doe.

I’ve been hunting pretty hard here in Illinois. Not a ton of crazy pre rut action yet, but we have had a couple of high pressure fronts move through, and most of the corn is harvested, so I’m expecting the cameras to really start picking up some good deer.

Holt and Happy like this.
  12. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few of these will probably get a pass, but still cool to see them. I’m really interested to see what the non-typical will be next year. IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3312.JPG 8187926D-97FB-4179-9E65-C4177D31BE42.jpg
    IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG

13. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have more restraint than I do!!! Not a single one of those that I would pass on.

_andrewgiles_sio and Holt like this.
  14. cjuvinall

cjuvinall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Weather here is WI is about to take a huge turn. I'll go out tomorrow night in hopes of a doe, but next week we drop into the 30's for daytime highs. I have had several does close by, but no real chance for a kill. Anyway, I hope to put some quality hours in beginning next week.

Happy, rbhunting1, KDORSETT12 and 2 others like this.
  15. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well nothing for me tonight. Saw 3 had a button buck come by real close. Still great night to be in the woods. Looks like I won’t be able to get out again until next week.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slow evening for me also. 1 spike around 4:30 and that was it. Had a muzzle loader blast about 200 yards away. But they can only shoot does this week, so bucks should be safe.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So Kevin, when are you going to pop one of these day walkers? You definitely got some beast walking around!

18. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    It started raining about midnight and good chance of rain until late morning Saturday. We may get 6" in total. I have someone working my overtime Saturday. I'll be in the woods Saturday afternoon when the rain stops and Sunday morning. Taking my grandkids to the pumpkin patch Sunday afternoon.

19. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I head back up to Kentucky November 4th and I’ll be there until the 12th, hope to get a chance at one of them!

Happy and Holt like this.
  20. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Rain is supposed to stop early afternoon Saturday. I will be dressed and ready right before it stops. Hunting Sunday morning and going in late on Halloween so I can see my grandkids all dressed up. As a bonus it will be in the upper 20s Thursday morning and I'll be in the stand. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019