Late plot planting

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sfsapper, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, still pretty new to all of this food plot stuff. So I havent planted my fall food plots yet. The reason why is because of weather, even this past week it was in the 100's and we have not had any rain at all. So with that being said I didnt plant because I knew the plot would be scorched.

I live in central Va about 40 minutes west of richmond. It has finaly began to cool down but still sparse on the rain. This week will have 1 day in low 80's with the next 10 days mid to low 70's during the day and low 50's at night. Still no rain in the future (20% chance 2 days). My basic question is, is it too late now to put in some plots, and if not what kind of prep, care, and types do you reccomend?

Thank you in advance

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At this point being so late and weather conditions you could spend your time scouting and be more productive.

3. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty good, I have been scouting for months, this is more for feeding during fall to help keep them taken care of since the winter is supposed to be bad. But if it's too late I wont waste my seed

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Winter wheat or winter rye will grow at this point but it needs a little rain and rake and spread.

Okiebob likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree with Sota. I'm in Oklahoma and farmers are just now planting or finishing up planting winter wheat. If it were me I would go for triticale, a wheat cereal rye cross. It's a good grazer.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. Jason44680

Jason44680 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just planted winter rye yesterday in Ohio and overlayed it with Alsike clover. Looked at the long range forecast and I think I'm gonna be good to go! Calling for rain tonight so I'm excited to see if it turns out for the late season.

Okiebob likes this.
  7. Jason44680

Jason44680 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rye has started sprouting and in a days time has really shot up!! Glad I decided to go ahead and plant!

Okiebob and Sota like this.
  8. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I planted about three acres with a mixture of winter wheat, oats, and austrian winter peas on the 12th of October. It’s about 1 1/2” tall today. I live in central Ky. Wheat would do ok if you get it in the ground before the end of the month, rye and winter peas also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  9. Jason44680

Jason44680 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So glad I did the winter rye planting!! The deer were in it everyday and my son shot his first deer ever over it!

entropyfx and oldnotdead like this.