Team 7 Lung Busters

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vanfossen, Aug 26, 2019.

1. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome Bobcat!! Congrats!!

Robert Haviland likes this.
  2. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking 2 photos with all required criteria, great job on a successful hunt.

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

3. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations bobcat! Time to shoot a big ol doe now!

5. Robert Haviland

Robert Haviland Newb

Dislikes Received:
  6. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got down to the property to get stands up and check the trailcams for the first time. Looks like this guy is my #1. The date on the cam is wrong. it was actually 9/16/19. I have several other pics on the other cameras. The second pic is a deer that was there a few days ago. I can't tell if this is the same deer as the first or not. I hope so because that means he's still around. 12OCT2019_180.JPG 12OCT2019_179.JPG

Jensen and Matthew Bolt like this.
  7. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a really big buck. I’d love to see him on the ground. Good luck with him!

KCArrowSlinger likes this.
  8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys.
    Congrats on the buck, Bobcat!!
    I was going through the scorecard thread and noticed that you shorted yourself inches on the mass measurements. Every deer gets 4 mass measurements per side regardless of how many points are on the deer. You can still go back and add to the total. Just have the Team Captain tell Brad what happened.

Great buck, Bobcat!!

9. Matthew Bolt

Matthew Bolt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck bobcat.

So, it happened to me what every hunter fears of happening.... Hunted yesterday morning and had a nice 8 pt. come in on me grunting. He finally got where i could make a shot broadside IMG_7090[4811].JPG at 30 yards, I let it rip and hit him a little forward, center shoulder, but good placement vertically. The arrow got about 8" penetration and broke off inside him when he ran away. Found blood and followed the trail for about 100 yards until it stopped and couldnt find ANY more. So, by this time it has been about 3-4 hours, so we call in a tracking dog. The guy takes a while to come so its about 7,8 hours after the shot before the dog gets on the trail. And he just couldn't get on the scent...... So I'm in a position now I don't know whether to try and get another dog out there or just look for buzzards. Any advice guys?

10. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your luck man. What’s stopping you from getting another dog? Are you having to pay a lot? So you guys couldn’t even pick up the trail at all? What’s the terrain like? What happened after the shot?

11. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have felt that feeling 4x...it's a terrible one. I hate admitting to it but I understand your pain. Any creeks near by that he could have went to? Best of luck!

12. Matthew Bolt

Dislikes Received:
    I've contacted multiple trackers in the area and it being the beginning of the week they were all working and now its going on 48 hours so I don't know that many dogs can follow a trail that old. Me and the property owner went back yesterday afternoon and walked well over 5 miles on the property following all ravines, drainages and creeks, and found no sign of him, nor jumped him any where.

When I shot like I said the arrow penetrated him about 8" center shoulder. He jumped (cant recall if he donky kicked or what, but it definitely hit him enough to jump) and ran off with the arrow hanging out of him. Pretty sure tail was down. He ran almost parallel with the ridge I was hunting, but for some reason veered up hill instead of downhill toward water. But like I said I checked all waterways and drainages. Unless he went and crashed in some very thick brush that we absolutely could not walk through I would say that buck is going to live to see another day. I've been sick about it

13. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that...it's such a punch to the gut--especially because if it's not a fatal hit and they could travel and end up dying from infection. It's a difficult thing. Do what you can to remain confident and try not to be discouraged--perhaps a bigger gift is in-store!

Matthew Bolt likes this.
  14. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    So he probably has 8 inches of arrow and a fixed blade head inside of him. You most likely got one lung. Normally I would say that deer will survive, but with 8 inches of arrow in him I’d say that’s a dead deer. Especially with a broad head in there moving around. I would be looking for buzzards soon.

15. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    How much property are we talking about here? Have you used the OnX app to grid search?

16. Matthew Bolt

Dislikes Received:
    I am going daily and keeping an eye for buzzards. I assumed it was a lethal hit as well... But it's 582 acres of land. And we grid searched well over 100 acres around the area where I shot him and didn't find him or bump him.

I've talked to multiple other hunters and trackers about it, and the shot being a potential single lung, forward shot, I shouldn't have waited as long as I did for recovery. Because a lot of the times with a single lung you want to get on the trail ASAP, preferably with a dog, and push that deer and keep its blood flowing (property boundaries considered) so it doesn't go pack that wound and it heal and keep living with one lung. I have honestly never been in that situation with a forward archery shot so I did not know the best way to handle it. However, I will learn from my mistakes and keep all this in mind moving forward..

17. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

All you can do is keep moving forward! Live and learn, brother!

Matthew Bolt likes this.
  18. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone else been seeing anything or had any opportunities? I am hunting tomorrow, Friday-Sunday with my dad who I haven't hunted with for a few years. I am hoping to get him on some deer and with a little grace hopefully we can both get a couple bucks down! At this point I have about two weeks before the orange army comes out and then opportunity will diminish but hopefully this weekend I can seal the deal!

I don't have any "target bucks" and am going to be hitting a lot of public land as I haven't gotten squat on camera over the past month. With hitting public land my standards go down quite a bit due to carrying all the gear I carry and just to get on some deer is exciting. Hopefully I can get us a few points though.

Blessings!

19. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been seeing plenty of deer but just not the right ones. Starting to have some new bucks show up on camera.

Matthew Bolt likes this.
  20. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some good bucks! That one with the lame ear is great!