Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Image1571448878.180969.jpg

Here we go! Truck is loaded, alarms are set for 3:00, and I am so damn ready to be on the road at 4 tomorrow morning. I will update as much as I can when we are down there and take as many pictures as possible. We are going to bust the it asses and try to be in a tree tomorrow evening if everything works out. There is supposed to be rain starting around 11 and ending around 3:30-4:00 so it could be a great evening. Good luck in the morning everybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and have a fun time. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Might try and get out again Sunday finally. Not sure yet. Too many odds and ends screwing things up but nothings been looking good so not sure I’m missing out yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  3. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Out sitting in a tree overlooking one of our foodplots this morning. There are new scrapes all around the edge and we had a new big 10 pointer show up here this past week. I’m hoping he decides to show himself this weekend! Good luck to everyone else out hunting!

4. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out in NJ.
    20191019_150935.jpg

MIHOYT89, early in and Turro like this.
  5. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Plus 50 for team 12, doe down! She droppes in sight im gonna sit a while longer then go grab her!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    vermontwhitetail and Kfili like this.
  8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Kfili! Awesome to see that. Great way to spend a Saturday.

9. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up being a button buck, small, didnt have time to check the body size,-woulda shot it anyway!
    Super proud of my shot- i spent the afternoon setting up my new sight and got it broken in good!

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  10. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work and congrats again! Love seeing it.
    I’m hoping to give a try again tomorrow night. Weather will be warm and not best for getting action, but if works with wife/kids so I can then gonna push it. Won’t be holding back either. Had hoped to get out tonight but went to boo at the zoo, Halloween stuff at the zoo with the kids. Was a blast but not enough energy left to do anything

12. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on the deer!

I’m the rest of this morning hunt and an afternoon hunt away from my outfitter hunt being in the books...

We had a guy shoot a big buck yesterday morning but unfortunately he got on the trail too early and a poor track job later - no deer yet. But the Yotes were really active last night.

I’ve seen some deer but no bucks while on stand yet. I’ve really tried to get away from hunters and camera activity etc. (typical outfitter stuff) as humanly possible. Even though this outfitter doesn’t usually schedule October I just feel 7 guys in the woods and 3 straight hunts will let the deer know what’s going on pretty quick.

If it doesn’t happen for me oh well... We will get back on the lease and see if we can’t get it done in November.

Good luck all!

14. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Kfili likes this.
  15. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how serious everyone is about the contest, but from watching it for a few years, there is a method to the madness to win.

Everyone shoots a doe and half the team scores a buck, even if some of them are 90-100" bucks. The big ones are definitely fantastic, and I like to stay above 120", buuuut I'm not below shooting a 100" deer that gets my blood going..

Kfili, Turro and Logman like this.
  16. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The does are what add up for sure. I was on the top team two years and last year we fell just short. The consistent points of does adding up is huge, along with any bucks. The big racks are great obviously too, but if two in a team shoot 170s vs 5 guys shooting 85-125s it made a lot more difference. Filled tags add points, and also make for a lot more action and fun. I’m all for everyone having fun and sending arrows.

Kfili, vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I hate to be a let down, but I screwed up. Big time! This will be a bit lengthy.
    I showed this buck pic before, but here it is again for those who didn't see it. When I saw the brow tines and width on this buck I knew I'd love to shoot him. I never actually expected to see this buck necessarily, but on Friday evening he came in at 4:50PM! He was just feeding slowly through some really thick stuff. I'd prepared for this situation mentally numerous times. I said if a deer comes through in this thick area there's only one opening for a shot, and that's where he browsed to.

He was only about 25 feet from the base of my tree, but quartering to me, and the shot (with CB) had a steep angle to it because I was 25' up. I hit him where I had aimed. but I got poor penetration. I didn't hear it hit bone, but still poor penetration. Long story short, I found only a couple of small patches of blood over 150yrds stretch and had to rely on finding where the leaves had been disturbed and branches broken to follow his path into some impenetrable wild rose and brier. After looking for a total of about 4 hours on Sat I couldn't locate him, or my bolt, or anymore blood/sign of him. This is one of the most disappointing times in my hunting life. Getting a chance at a buck like him in my woods is a rare occasion, but blowing the chance because of poor shot choice/selection makes this encounter that much more upsetting! :sad:

I've been hunting waaaay long enough to know better than to do what I did. I should have waited to see where he was going to end up feeding to, possibly giving a better shot, but I thought I would have probably not seen him again, so I took a chance. If I had let him go on his way undisturbed, I at least would have known that he's in the area. I don't think he is now? Even at 62, I can still learn a lesson. Guys, wait for the right shot, or don't shoot!

Seeing what I did, of almost no blood loss and poor penetration, I think this buck might actually survive. Any chance I could get super lucky and at least see him during the rut? I'll be hunting the entire week of Nov 4th-9th.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  19. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Early. Hopefully it turns out to be minimal penetration and he’s ok and back for rut and another shot. It definitely happens. Tough to keep clear minded in the heat of the moment. Shake it off and relax and hopefully he’s back and you can finish him.

vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  20. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not that it will make you feel any better... But know the feeling all too well. Have had it happen to me twice in the four years. In fact - I'm still beside myself. Both were probably PB quality bucks and I just didn't execute.

Personally - I had to make some changes or get out of bow hunting all together.

- Spent more time slinging arrows at my target this summer.

- Upgraded my equipment. I don't think this is the only answer for me rather a piece to the puzzle that should help with my success rate. My bow was 10 years old that I bought used it was time for an upgrade.

- Spent more time trimming lanes this off season.

- Constantly while sitting in the stand thinking through a pre-shot routine / checks if you will. Confidence in yardage prior to deer being in bow range (pre-ranging scenarios). Consistent anchor point once I draw back. Making sure my pins are level. Settle pin. Let err eat!

Good luck in November - if it's meant to be you will get another chance at it. All you can do is keep grinding after something like that - I know how bad it hurts.

vermontwhitetail likes this.