***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Took the kids squirrel hunting yesterday and saw 1 squirrel. If I wanna deer hunting I would have seen 50 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd watch the news if it reported this kind of killing:
    On the forefront, VS shot a dandy buck last night.
    KJ is killing and spilling...blood of both deer and hogs.
    LC is personally trying to get the Kentucky buck to doe ratio at 1:1.
    Congratulations to the killers and good luck to those recovering this morning.

On a side note, Snuff just whiffed on a big nanny.

I have seen 6 deer this morning. A spike hung around for 20 minutes inside 10 yards and 2 deer busted me just before light.

Remember to aim small and miss small.

TK reporting.

3. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    8 point just came through. A trophy by my standards. Passed a 30 because of brush, and because he's headed for my brother in law.

4. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love this thread, so cool to follow along these hunts, no hunting for me this morning totally rained out. Back out next week!
    Brett-again your a killer way to put in the work and get it done, a lot of people can learn a lot from just following along your posts! I know I learned a TON last year when we got to hunt together! Keep it up man!

6. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this morning everyone!!!!

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No one would be mad if you did a post like this once a day!

Congrats to everyone that had success yesterday!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dnoodles, oldnotdead, Tony and 4 others like this.
  9. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    CNN would report it s a mass shooting and classify the compound bow as a assault weapon that should be banned

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well where do I start?

It was 18 flipping pages NOT 10. WTF

I get down and go to dinner with the family and come home and go to bed. I was tired dealing with the dog ( vet - spaded). Getting up early every day and I didn't ck the thread last night. Oh yea just a little 4 pt last night that was it

So I see me son off,he headed back to VT for college 9 hr drive and I get on to see who is out this morning and bamm. There blood all over these 18 fliplin pages.

First of Brett you're a 100% hunting and killing machine. I like it. I forget who posted about letting off a person doing 85in 55or did he say 60. There is no eff way he getting out of that ticket. I know I wouldn't even if I had a great day (retired state trooper I am).

VS congrats a great buck
    LC your a stone cold killer. Congrats on the muzzleloader kills. Congrats
    Kfili - tender meat. Nice job congrats
    KJS. Way to make it rain with blood of many animals. Congrats. I would like to be able to do that someday. Many animals at the same spot.

Mike good luck on the recovery. I hope it works out. Last time I DON'T ck the thread before I go to bed

11. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot the phone at the truck this AM Haha. I'm out. Nothing moved for me this morning, except squirrels. If I dont get rained out this afternoon I'm gonna hang and hunt in the local WMA and see what happens.

12. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doe and a fawn used the same trail. I'll be there tomorrow. They are paralleling the saddle, 15 yards down the side I'm not on. Not what I expected

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ... An arsenal of weapons...

14. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night had 4 does, 2 in range, no shots, this morning had a nice 8 come in on my morning stand at 20yrds.... no shot. I have my evening stand figured out. Anything that gives me a shot inside 30yrds is meat. Congrats to the successful, good luck to everyone else!

15. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go!

vermontwhitetail and kjstaudt86 like this.
  16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been up since noonish yesterday but I made it home and have a beer in me so I can tell a story I guess.

So yesterday I was going to take off two hours of leave and get off at 5am to meet the cold snap in the morning. But my partner and I have to take care of a bunch of young guys and gals on a squad and the streets have been off the hook lately. So I decided no way in heck I would leave my guys to hunt bc the violence has been so bad. I got off work at 7am and I drove to my hunting spot and just fell asleep in my truck. I knew I had to be there bc of the cold snap and if I didnt wake up close to my hunting lands Id never make it bc I was so exhausted. Well I set my alarm for 2pm, but at noon my phone starts ringing non stop. I think it is an emergency at work but its my oldest daughter telling me she got into a car accident. Car screwed but she is ok. I spent an hour on the phone and internet processing the bs claim and setting up repairs. I am going on 4 hrs sleep and know I have to work until 7am the next morning. Screw it, my time is limited so I know I need to get in there on a SE wind. I have a spot that works perfect for that wind. I hunted it twice last year with that wind...the first time I saw a big buck at 30 yards and didnt get a shot and the second time I killed my 2nd buck last year. But I have 0 wind working even at 1pm. I cannot enter that bedding area without some sort of cover. So I wait until 2 when the wind starts picking up. Slip in and sit in the same tree I killed my 2nd buck last year. Three years ago I started a new system for me, hunting like a madman during the pre-rut timeframe. Getting a lot of quality spots by scouting and just going for broke. Screw it. Burn a spot, move to the next. I had been hunting conservatively and scared for years because I gave the bucks more credit than they deserved. Now its moving in and killing them whenever the conditions are right. Even if it is a 60 degree day.

Within 5 minutes of being on stand I have a bunch of turkey come by and within an hour I have a doe and a fawn come by. My bow is on and hitting good. I decide to try and take the doe after she finally gives me a shot after 15 minutes. 15 yard shot and I shoot right over her back. I was aiming big and missed by hitting a tree. Terrible way for my killing season to begin with a whif. Well in this game you have to forget failure. Within 30 minutes four more does appear yet all feed out of range for awhile. I told myself that miss was for a reason and that maybe something bigger was in store for me. Well at 6pm I see a spike followed by a solid buck coming down the briar patch ravine from within this 4 acre bedding area. Then they disappear only to start re appearing every few minutes. I finally realize I am seeing four different bucks....a spike, two solid bucks going between 100-110 inches, and then the buck I ended up shooting. It takes them until 35 minutes before legal shooting light ends to get within range. The two solid bucks give me 15 yd broadside shots, but I see that better buck eating in the briar patch. I have to wait another 30 minutes to be able to get a shot at him. Right before the shot the spike is literally eating right below my treestand. I see an opening of about 2 feet and tell myself if that buck gets into that Im shooting him. Well he steps into that opening at 18 yards and he was quartering towards. I have to wait for minutes until he turns what I think is broadside. I draw and remember my error from the doe, this time I aim small, focus on my bubble level and slowly ease pressure on my thumb release. Wham, I hear his diaphram pop and see blood coming off his shoulder as he plows into the bedding area. Then quiet. I couldnt find my arrow due to it being shot into a big briar patch. I then begin finding great blood for 10 yards then dark sticky blood (liver). I get worried and back out. Hunting on federal property has its challenges and long story short I was forced to track bc of an incoming rain storm. I was given an additional 20 minutes or so to go back out into the woods and find this deer in the pitch black by myself. Well I run the few hundreds of yards into the bedding area and pick up the trail. I was really worried bc the blood trail wasn't spraying and turned from red to dark blood. But that didn't matter, I found him within 50 yards of the shot. I had clipped high one lung and then liver.

No more thanks needed guys, I got all that yesterday and hope all you guys are successful today and in the future. On to my next buck
    challenge........

***I got to work an hour late and didn't realize I had blood on my right nostril from the deer. Im sure my coworkers thought I was an idiot and I can see I look like one in my pictures!

84178.jpeg 20191019_195224.jpg

17. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    High capacity clips.... I mean quiver lol

18. tdk5525

Dislikes Received:
    Tracking a buck with a kid. 20191020_104233.jpg

19. tdk5525