Team 3 - The Gut Pile

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 26, 2019.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    since its not my money id say buy the new stand.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it crooked all the way up? I've had that problem before too and just not set it up as high. I've also got one stand where the tree leans back pretty bad. It's like being in a recliner while sitting but kinda sucks to stand up and shoot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That might be an option. It straightens out way up top. I’m gonna play with my hang on in the yard and see if I can be comfortable enough for an all day sit in it.

4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest making sure have the seat pad ha. I've got a few cheap big game stands and have thought to myself several times it'd be all right when forgot cushion in truck. It never is.

Like said idk, depending on tree could try goin lower or higher, I've had luck with them cheap hang on's in somewhat crooked trees. I also put on extra ratchet straps so that helps secure it to tree. Actually have the muddy ones you're talking about too and they're little nicer with the adjustments. But i have one now that needs moved up or down little to get over bad spot on tree.

5. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took tomorrow off and it’s looking like we’re going to be in for a pretty windy day. Planning to hunt an area in the morning, then still hunt a corn field before moving to another area. I’ve never had much luck when it’s real windy, but we will see!

wibowhntr likes this.
  6. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This property in the white square, is private property about to be logged. The area N. of this location is the only public land. The red circled area, is a proposed public land area I may choose to hunt instead. I can't setup a set and leave, nor can I setup a feed station. Some areas in red, I've scouted/hunted in the past(red dot NE corner). Should i hunt close to the property line during the logging? Setup in a tree in the open area with a feeder close on the private area? Setup around the red dot or find a new spot? What would you consider an ideal hunt scenario for this? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 minute ago
    Hoyt Razortec 65# @28"
    NAP Apache Drop-Away
    Trophy Rigde React Trio Sight
    TruGlo Deadenator XS Stabilizer
    Limbsaver Quad Limb Dampners
    G5 6-arrow quiver
    CX Piledriver PTX 250
    G5 Montecs/Slick Trick Mags

7. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    that scoreboard needs to be updated so we dont look like we're getting skunked!

8. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is a ladder stand or pop up blind options?

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to head out. Didn't have much luck this week after work getting out. Gonna grab a wuick sandwich then be heading that way. Hopefully the rain is done, looks like it is, gonna sot over the bean field again. If get something out there and have a shot it's game on.

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Checked cam when got to stand and had some good pics, lots of deer anyway. Few nice bucks. I orginally had one that i thought was one got killed during youth season but I'm not so sure after pioking at few different pics. So its actually a pleasant surprise as having at least one more big boy running around for sure. A nice 8 was on there too that would be pretty nice to shoot.

Since its pretty slow made this to compare the two. Pretty easy to see side by side it's different deer. Now getting a shot on him is differnet story ha. So far not many day time pics of bucks. Few smaller ones and thats bout it.[​IMG]

wibowhntr and Swamp Stalker like this.
  11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got skunked tonight. Was pretty weird tho didn't see but one deer on way home either. Maybe the warmer weather got em? Who knows. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Getting myself mentally prepared for the next few weeks. It's just about time to go DEEP on public land where I hunt. I normally go in about 3/4 of a mile. This year after doing some scouting, I found the sign I have been searching for,,,,2+ miles in. I'm not in the best physical condition for this journey, but I'm going to give it my all to make it happen. I think I will start this wednesdayby getting my stand in deep. I'll be hiding it in the bushes i think, and locking it just in case. I did not see signs of any other hunters when I was out there, but better safe than sorry. I'll hide my game cart at the half way point and I'll worry about my death march of getting the buck out of there when it happens. Giddyup!!

wibowhntr, jrk_indle84 and cls74 like this.
  13. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 3 vertical pin sight and sometimes the 3 pins is too much for my eye and i struggle to focus on the needed pin.
    Ive also only used my 30 yard pin once and my 40 never (while hunting)

last night i figured out how to remove pins and removed the 30 and 40, then went oh S.... i accidentally took out the 20 and 30, so i take the last remaining pin out only to then realize I was correct the first time.
    Put the 20 yard pin back in and had to re sight in.

last 3 shots all in top half of 2 inch round dot on bag target. Its either sighted in better or the experiment of only 1 pin to focus on worked

this might not be impressive to you but i am not a target shooter at all

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  14. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted hard on Friday with no luck. A combination of honey-dos and a stomach bug kept me out of the woods Saturday and Sunday.

Thursday is stand setup for the park hunt and I’m going with my current hang on. Jut couldn’t justify the purchase of a new stand for it. Low pressure deer, used to human activity, in late October has me excited.

Thinking I’ll probably take one more day off the following week to hunt before gun season starts. It’s a crap show once that’s open and I typically move to archery only properties to avoid the extreme pressure gun brings. Keep at it boys!

Swamp Stalker and wibowhntr like this.
  15. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set up for the final weekend of the park hunt this afternoon. Got in, set, trimmed, and got out. I ended up using my old hang on and got it pretty comfortable. Hoping the time of year plus the chilly temps tonight will have them moving!

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys, it's about time to make our move.

I have to get through another 7 days of work and then I will be im a tree, or at least in the woods, more than at home or at work.

Nov. 1st is my next outing and I'm committing myself to the first doe that presents a shot next weekend, given there is bot a buck sighting. I have been burned by the wait for the buck after the does pass by, way too many times. Not ruining anything by taking a doe on November 1st or 2nd.

After that I start an 11 day vacation on Nov. 7th which has become my single most favorite day to hunt and a won't miss.

It's finally here.

Hooefully everyone has a chance to get out a few times during the first 3 weeks of November. Magic is about to become a reality....

wibowhntr and Swamp Stalker like this.
  17. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the entire week of Nov 4th off!

short69 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  18. buckjeezy

buckjeezy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to get out tomorrow night. Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend!

19. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally in the the tree my first solo set of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for a little bit. Was a little of a disaster so ended up leaving early. Gonna head out in the morning for little bit of rain holds off.