Tree saddle info

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by opossumhunterNC, Oct 18, 2019.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to purchase a tree saddle and not sure what to buy. It seems like the mantis or krestral are the go to options and maybe h2 as well. Anybody have any recommendations on which of those would be the best option. Anybody out there who had used both and can compare the pros and cons or each.

There isn’t anywhere around here that I know of that sells them and I don’t know anybody who uses one so I can’t check them out in person. I hate to drop that kind of coin only to find out that I should have gotten a different one. Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

oldnotdead and Berwickbuckmaster like this.
  2. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Berwickbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are probably people around you that do have them. There is a site that is all about saddles. They have a fourm map with everybody's location. You can check it and see who is closet to you. Usually people on there willing to help others out. Saddlehunter.com. Trophy line also came out with there new saddle in the last couple weeks. There are 2 types of saddle hunters. Leaner and sitters, or a combo of both. The Mantis is geared towards light weight and more for leaners. I have 2 Aerohunter saddles and they are great for either leaning or sitting in. The biggest problem is the back order of almost all saddles. You will probably have to wait 10 or more weeks to get one. The H2 is a home made saddle that is being sold by 1 guy. It's not a tested saddle and says it's rated for ground use only. For liability reasons. I would definitely try one before you purchase. Any questions just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I made my own from a tree saddle seat...I wanted to see if it is for me..comfy but I need to find a better climbing method. Though now I use it in my regular stands Home built. And cheap ladder stands. Lets me have a more comfy "sit". Knee pads are a good thing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the JX3 Hybrid saddle. It is the most comfortable saddle and after I purchased I am done looking. Il love this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did a DIY sitdrag/rock climbing harness. It’s comfortable, just kind of clunky putting on. I’ll be going to a real saddle next year. The diy one was just a cheap way to make sure id like it.

sgcableguy and oldnotdead like this.
  8. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those are the two main ones out now, Aero Hunter has the Flex and it's supposed to be very good as well. Trophy Line just released their own (re-released really) saddle and reviews are still coming in.
    I went with Tethrd since I got it all one package, I did have to wait about 3 months to received but I was already planned to start practicing in the off-season. You really need to get this during the off-season or you will hate it, you need time to play and adjust until you find a comfort zone. Pinching in the hips is a big complaint, I too had some pinching but made several adjustments plus I got my body in "saddle shape" as the folks in the biz call it.
    I slept for about 30 min waiting on the sun the other morning very comfortably. It is not the end of all other tree stands as some claim, but it is a good way to cut a little weight off your setup. Wait until the season is just about over and I bet you will find a mass exodus of people giving up on their saddles, it requires some work and is not the most bestest easiest setup.
    Read more here: https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/tree-saddle-hunting.62634/

cantexian likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt from a Kestrel and agree with all the above. In the middle of the season is not the time to be buying a saddle. It took about 15 hours of being in it before I felt comfortable. Now that I am comfortable with it, I do not see myself going back to a tree stand. The learning curve with a saddles is greater than a tree stand, but, once learned I think it is a way better method for hunting elevated than any tree stand.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  10. Berwickbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:

How difficult is it to hunt trees with branches, as opposed to "Climber" trees?

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have found it better. Sticks are adjustable around trunk and you just need an extra lanyard to stay connected, but be able to go around limbs. Limbs can also act as " foot holds or platform" of sorts. You can also hunt shorter limbed trees staying lower with cover.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not hard at all. It takes a little more time to get up. I use my tether as a second lineman's belt; when I encounter a branch, I leave the lineman's belt secured below the branch. I then connect my tether above the branch so that I am still tied in. Once the tether is secure, I disconnect the lineman's belt, move it above the branch and reconnect the lineman's belt above the branch. Only once the lineman's belt is reconnected, do I disconnect the tether and resume climbing with a lineman's belt. I climb using 3 Hawk Helium sticks with a single-step aider off the bottom step. This method will get me 18-20 feet up depending on the tree. Most trees, I am up and ready in 15 minutes or less. It would be 10 minutes or less on a tree without branches. Others could get up faster, but I go slow so as not to make a mistake from rushing.

Berwickbuckmaster and oldnotdead like this.
  13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Not hard at all, you will have to disconnect/reconnect the lineman's belt to get over the limb, but other than that, everything else allows you to get up the tree without issue. It would be the same as using a lock-on and sticks, except you do not need to haul a heavy lock-on.

Berwickbuckmaster and oldnotdead like this.
  14. Berwickbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all! Really, really getting interested in this method. I get frustrated when carrying a climber 2 miles back in the woods and then not being able to hunt an area because of tree quality... This really seams like it would foot the bill for that problem. And all the research is pointing to it also!!

15. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you don’t end up liking the saddle, you can at least still use your sticks and sell or trade the saddle for a small lock on. That’ll still let you hunt more trees than a climber

16. Berwickbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    I have hawk sticks, I just don't have a lock on that's light but also comfortable to hunt all day no issues

17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    That is one of the reasons I started looking for a new solution to that issue. I found a really thick spot to hunt last year but the climber was too bulky to efficiently navigate with. I started looking at lock-ons but they just seemed too heavy for what I wanted, plus, when I've hung lock-ons before it can be noisy and somewhat of a pain.
    A big misconception of saddle hunting in my opinion is the weight; yes, the saddle itself is much lighter than anything on the market, yet once you start packing your accessories in your saddle pouches, the weight creeps back. My saddle with my platform, ropes, 4 cransford screws, and range finder weight 9.6lbs. That doesn't sound like much but it is 10lbs held on by on strap on your hips (if you walk in with it on). Below.
    IMG_0227.JPG
    That's only a few pounds less than the lightest lock-on (I think) you can buy. The benefit is that you are already wearing your "stand" and do not have to deal with setting up the lock-on.
    The fastest I've ever setup without worrying about sound was 4:36, it typically takes about 6min for me to be tethered in the tree if I have a nice clean tree and not making a bunch of noise.
    It can be a great tool or it will be a pain in the butt if you do not get your setup right, I had a lot of doubts when I first bought mine and started using it, it is not comfortable right out of the box but after some time I've really grown to like it.

18. Berwickbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:

All good points, and I'm right there feeling the same way on all of them. 10lbs isn't bad at all when you're already wearing it and don't have to lug it off your back and attach it to the tree at 20ft. then pack it up and stuff in the dark.

I'm going to wait till December to order one. That way I have PLENTY of time to adjust it to fit me perfectly, and get proficient with setting the steps and climbing quickly and quietly.

Thanks again for the awesome input!

cantexian and S.McArthur like this.
  19. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am brand new at saddle hunting and I really like it so far. I have an H2 saddle with the leg straps, Out On A Limb Ridge Runner Platform, Hawk Helium Sticks with DIY 2 step aider.

[​IMG]

I'm using the Ropeman on my tether (not this rope, I'm using a heavier rope, this was just a trial run)
    [​IMG]

Made these aiders the way DIY sportsman shows in his videos. I painted the straps because they were too bright. I will paint the Hawk sticks this sunday.

[​IMG]

Camo painted aiders look great; can't wait to finish the sticks
    [​IMG]

Stiffened up the steps with this 1/4" rope webbing

[​IMG]

20. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I need to make some aiders, My 4 LW sticks don't seem to put me up as high as I'd like. If possible I use a cranford step to get me an extra few feet.