Decoy Strategy?!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sycamoretwitch, Oct 15, 2019.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always hesitate to post about strategy scenarios since it’s so difficult to disseminate enough information about this particular property for the advice given to be applicable... So I’m going to do my best and I welcome any feedback or thoughts.

1. Hunting Indiana. Some hardwoods. Pretty flat. Cut bean fields.

2. I own a decoy but have never used a decoy.

3. High deer density area. Decent amount of mature bucks in the area - but a lot of doe (saw 12 doe/fawns from this stand Saturday morning).

4. I’ve got an observation stand on this point (yellow dot) and I can see to the north (top in this photo) very far. Because of thick cover I can’t really see much to the south (bottom in this photo). In theory if I placed a decoy on this long runway (that runs north and south) deer from a pretty good distance away in both directions could potentially see the decoy and be lured in.

[​IMG]

Google view - note area circled in blue is actually cleared out as you can see in the photo above.

[​IMG]

5. The long open runway area would be where I thought about placing the decoy. Sets up for a west wind - put the decoy toward the outer third of the runway.

* Would put the approaching buck between me and the decoy down wind.

6. Only use from Nov. 3-11th give or take a few days.

Now my questions:

* Good idea or bad idea given high deer density? Afraid I’m just going to screw things up.

* Assume rattling would still work pretty well? I can regularly rattle in 3 year old bucks on this property year over year. Rattling in mature bucks seems to be an issue.

* Doe or buck decoy? Leaning toward buck but open to thoughts.

* Obviously trying to avoid human scent on the decoy is key - any tips?

* Any sort of synthetic type scent I should buy to put on the decoy? Evercalm is really the only scent I’ve ever used.

Thanks in advance... I’m pretty skeptical - but I’m thinking it could work on this stand given the makeup of the property with the long runway and open fields.

A few photos of the area from in the stand looking to the north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back onto the runway earlier this summer before trimming it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From experience, hunting over a decoy can be awesome. I've killed 3 mature bucks over a Boss Buck decoy and passed on a few other good bucks. I have not experiences a lot of negative encounters when I use the decoy. I've have had small bucks push it over and run off and does seem to be curious most of the time. I generally set mine up as a buck, but rotate the antlers in so the rack looks smaller. I will blind rattle some and grunt some throughout the hunt. If I see a buck that's out of range, I'll generally grunt at him a few times and might throw out a snort wheeze.

Once a mature buck commits to the decoy, it's about as exciting as it gets. His hair raises up on the back of his neck as he slowly stomps towards and circles the decoy. It's a freaking sight to behold. I've killed over a decoy on Oct. 30th, Nov 11th and Dec. 6th. All three were the dominate buck in the area and once they committed, destroying that intruder buck was the only thing on their minds.

I will usually set up the decoy with some type of dominate buck scent. I've used a few products over the years but I really like a gel type scent. I've used J&S Scrape Rage gel and will be using Nose Down ScrapeDown gel this year. I will put a little of it on the back and top of the head of the decoy.

Scent control is a key, you don't want him hanging up on you just out of range because he catches a whiff of something he don't like. I keep my decoy outside in a covered shed all year long and make sure I'm wearing gloves when I handle it. Then I spray it down with a good scent elimination spray once I get it setup and in position.

I think decoys work really well in transitions areas just off the edges open fields. I haven't had as much luck with a decoy out in the open. I've had lots of smaller deer approach but the big boys have tended to hang up on me. Move the decoy just into the soft edge or just into the timber and they seem to be much more comfortable approaching.

Hopefully you find some of that info as useful.

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t have much to add other than don’t be afraid. You will most likely regret not doing it sooner.
    I don’t put any scent on the decoy itself as eventually it isn’t going to smell right. I put dominant buck urine around it. I place the decoy Upwind quartering towards me.
    I have had the best luck with just a buck decoy.
    I plan on using mine very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either of you have a bad experience using them in thicker areas where the deer may not see them until they're 20-30 yards away?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t have much experience with that scenario so I can’t say. I have heard it can startle them. I use mine in the open to bring the bucks to me.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I don't hunt any real thick areas so I can't speak to that. I've setup in a transition area with the decoy about 20 yards in from an open food plot. On the other side its about 40 yards away from a field with warm season grasses. Then there's a pretty big piece of open timber to the south. I've pulled several bucks on from that time and into the transition area. Both bucks most likely saw the decoy from 60-80 yards out. The other buck I killed, I put the decoy on the other side of the hedge row, in the food plot on this same transition area. The buck came into the transition area to look into the food plot for any un-breed does(December). He saw the decoy and ignored the dozen does in the field to come fight with the decoy.

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used them in thick areas before, but my problem was the bucks didn't show up until dark. you must be aware of the noises they can cause when transporting them into thick areas. they are plastic and everything will scrape up against it.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the area I'm questioning. White block is now CRP and there's more CRP 400 yards to right of these picture. Bullseye is where I'd like to try decoy. Not necessarily very thick but if they come from the bottom or right, they won't see it until they're about 10-30 yards away.

Sorry to hijack OP, just thought it would fit in with your questions. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that would be a problem. The buck I killed two years ago came out of the treeline about 20-25 yards from the decoy. He wasn't alarmed as he was mad about the situation.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  10. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never hunted with a decoy but have seen some videos where a buck literally tore up the decoy. Rammed it and tossed it in the air. Watched to see if it got up. When it didn't move, he left.

11. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve successfully killed two bucks with the freshman Montana decoy. It’s a fork buck postured aggressively. I will agree with the other guys it is an absolutely awesome hunt. When the mature aggressor in the area catch a sight of that decoy they seem to have no interest in anything but that decoy.. best of luck and remember they will try get downwind of that decoy and if the first deer that comes out isn’t your target buck then you must be in the right position to not alert the the smaller ones as well. Before I bought the Montana 2d freshman decoy I used to just use my foam target buck. That worked well until the legs finally broke off from the deer ramming it. Now it has 2x4s for legs and still works great but for pack ability you can’t beat that 2d one.

Attached Files: