my season over before it even started

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Robert Gregory, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Robert Gregory

Robert Gregory Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in Eastern Europe working since last February. I was due to leave and come home on the 30th of September. Was looking forward to taking unlimited time off to bowhunt all season. I live in Highland County, Virginia. I live on the Cowpasture River (which, in reality, is actually the beginning of the James River). I heard that the fish hatchery had just released a bunch of trout at Spring Run which is just downstream from the hatchery. I went down to see how big the fish were that they released. Anyway, I had to go down an embankment to get to the river. When I took a step down the embankment, I think I stepped on a stone which started my foot sliding down the bank. And when the stone rolled out, my shoe caught and rolled my ankle. Long story short, I have 4 fractures and numerous torn ligaments. Having surgery tomorrow and am looking at 10-12 weeks in acast and then a boot. Just my luck!!
    Anyway, happy hunting to everyone else. Rob

2. softedahl16

softedahl16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Huge bummer man! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Speedy recovery for you!

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be hobbling into a ground blind.

5. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same. No way that stops me from hunting. The ONLY thing that stops me from hunting is this thing I call a job. lol

BowedUp likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on your recovery.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man, what a huge let down to think you'll have a ton of time to hunt and then get a major injury. About a month before archery elk season I actually start thinking about the risk of injury in everything I do much more than normal just for this reason. Bad luck can still strike at any time, sorry to hear your season is lost. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

8. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can find a way to still get out. We float the Cowpasture all summer. We usually put in at Sharon Park or one below there and float to the James. Do we pass you along there or are you further up?

9. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be more than happy to take one for the team; and go hunting in your place. :-)

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

20 yrs ago I broke my leg and ankle..my foot lay against my leg. Sole of sneaker facing me break in begining of April , 3 days in hospital plates and screws. Cried until hubby wrapped my leg in plastic and drove me to a ground blind for May 1 turkey opener. I called for pick up when I couldn't handle it any more. I was still in a walking cast when gun season opened in Nov. He bought me my first climber and I shot a doe. By then he had crushed his foot so I had to get her and process her. That taught me to work smart not hard. Point is with help you may get time in yet depending on your season length. Be safe, and sending you my best. P.S. Listen to Dr. Though!

11. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you brother. as you can see in my photo, this will be your Christmas picture. I recommend you start looking for a good knee scooter. wishing you a speedy recovery.

12. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Job? Watch it, there might be young children on the forum. I retired 10 years ago and have less time now than when I was working.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  13. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any large friends...
    [​IMG]

14. BowedUp

BowedUp Newb

Dislikes Received:

just curious, how did you and your husband both end up with major foot/leg injuries in the same time frame but in separate incidents?

15. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've suffered a broken foot before, so I feel ya. Good luck on recovery.

16. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well we have shepherds,130 # ones. We had just come back from having a guy walk the place for possible logging. He and hubby went to house and my male and female were with me. They were both just full of it because it was a warm spring day after a brutal winter. Well our male was about across the road when he looked back at me then got this goofy look on his face. I immediately knew what he was about to do. With the first bound I yelled his name and No ,but he was coming too fast I lifted my knee and he realized his mistake but was going too fast and instead of bounce up to lay his paws on my shoulders. A "trick" our 6ft. son taught him ,he tried turning away hitting me like a line backer while I was on one leg. I happed to be on the edge of a tire divit. As I was going backward I happen to look down as my foot flipped sideways hitting my leg showing me the sole of my sneaker. My foot was so bad that the ambulance crew had no idea that my lower leg bone had broken and the two pieces had passed each other. That was a very bad ride on country roads to the hospital. When I woke up in my room the nurse said " how bad was the car? What car? was my family in a car accident??!! I about freaked. She said the car accident you were in. When I told her the dog did it she said they only see this much damage in car accidents. They figured he was close to 30mph when he hit me..lol
    Hubby had 1200 equipment fall on his foot crushing it.. That was really bad, blew out the side of foot even with his work boots on. Gangrene set in while he was in a cast. It was weeks of trying to get swelling down before cast could go on because all bones were broken or crushed. Did I mention we are all accident prone?

17. fred_Bump

fred_Bump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. All is not lost. You may yet find a way to hunt despite your injury, albeit an alternate method. Best wishes on your recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk