Compound vs Recurve Anchor Point?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by afishhunter, Oct 11, 2019.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fact, or "Fiction"?

"You should use the same anchor point when shooting a compound bow and a recurve or flatbow."

I am unable to contort enough to use the same anchor point when shooting my recurve, that I use when shooting my compound bow.

Frustration is settling in.

Because of a physical deformity my draw length is only 23 inches anchoring my thumb knuckle under my ear lobe.

I bought a 70 pound recurve so I would have a hunting legal draw weight at my pathetic draw length.
    I know I lose 2.5 pounds of draw weight for each inch under 28 inches.
    Yes. I am aware my 420 grain arrows are traveling slightly faster than a snail.

Should I state "The heck with it!" and stick to the compound bow (62.5 pound draw at 23 inches, 480 grain arrows at 189 FPS) or forget vertical bow archery altogether and use my .54 calibure TC Hawken rifle or TenPoint Titan SS crossbow for deer and bigger hunting?

2. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When shooting my compound, my anchor point is on the side of my jaw. When shooting my recurves, it is just to right of center under my chin.

I've never heard to use the exact same anchor point for multiple disciplines.

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you are pulling way too much.. 3 lbs for every inch under 28.so 5x3=15lbs. you need around 55-60 lb bow to reach a comfortable draw length.I shoot 47 lbs at 27 in draw and there is plenty of power and speed.

virginiashadow likes this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting question. I got my first fiberglass recurve bow about 60 years ago (it cracked and crazed so it was cut in two and tossed after about 50 years) and I draw with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth. NASP teaches using the index finger to do the same but I'm not that picky where the shooter anchors as long as it is a consistent point. My compound anchor point with a release is the knuckle of my middle finger under my ear lobe and nestled in the space between my neck and jaw. Never shot my compound bows without a release so I can't help there with a finger release.

5. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I use to shoot a compound without a release my anchor would be the same as a recurve thumb in corner of my mouth. But with a release it's not the same; index knuckle behind my jaw. I would just anchor where it feels natural. And work from there.