Team 8 - Make America 8 Again

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by OK/Sooner, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it helps my brother inlaw shot a buck hes never had on camera yesterday hahaha I wouldn't be able to hold off lol at the zoo today all I could do was pick my shot angle on everything bahahaha

Sent from my LML212VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

copperhead likes this.
  2. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    copperhead likes this.
  3. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I picked up a memory card last visit to camp, and lost it. Good news I just found it falling out of some papers, 1600 pics, probably all wind but I’m excited.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  4. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony likes this.
  5. tca126

tca126 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday morning was a bust with zero movement. In the afternoon with the East winds, I elected to sit on the ground in my ASAT leafy suit due to none of my preset stands working with an East wind. I tucked myself just inside a golden rod field overlooking a plot. Ended up passing on a small 7 point and also saw a very large 8 point with several doe that were just out of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I feel ya. Fall weather starts overnight and into tomorrow. At least for a couple of days we'll be out of the 90's and start off in the 50's with highs in the 70's. Winds will be out of the North so I'll have to rethink where I'm hunting. Both of my properties that I've been focusing on are really best for anything but a North wind for bow hunting.

The property that has some options for ground blinds is to covered up in cattle right now to use a pop-up - which would be my go-to strategy normally. So I'll be heading out shortly to set up a tripod on the Southern edge of the woodlot to give myself another option. Also going to take a look at a third property that I've not even looked at to this point and see if there's a good option for a North wind.

7. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well that felt good. Really wanted to get a doe early on and take the pressure off. Last night I took a brand new hunter out. He doesn’t own a bow yet and is just getting started so I told him to join me and he could film the hunt. Had some problems getting my extra millennium stand hung for him. It’s heavy and I dont have a ton of experience hanging hangons. (Prior to saddle hunting I used a climber mostly) After a couple failed attempts we elected for him to film from the ground. Had some does blow downwind after an hour. At last light 2 came in and I took a shot at one. Shot sailed over her back. He had fun though.

Didn’t plan to hunt tonight due to a bday party but got home at five, sweet talked my wife, and headed back to the same spot as last night. I wouldnt normally hunt the same spot two nights in a row but I figured the corn I dumped out would still be there...and I was right.

Climbed up high using spurs and my saddle. Probably was at 30ft. It was raining up until 6:45pm. At 7pm 2 does stepped out way across the field. Didn’t expect them to step out where they did. They came in slowly and I think the big doe caught my scent trail. Wind was actually good. Started acting suspicious but I think either nose jammer and/or the rain helped me out. I forgot my range finder in another pack so I knew I had to let her get her get in close. She came in to 10-15 yards and I double lunged her. Tracking was a little difficult due to the rain making it hard to see. Found it though and she went about 70-80 yards.

I was able to get it on film. Plan to share the Instagram story soon (Sheddinglightoutdoors)

Probably will take it easy for a while and try to get on some bucks now!

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went to check my cam at the cabin this morning. This is the best buck I’ve got so far lol. Hopefully the big front on Friday starts bringing them around.
    [​IMG]

copperhead and Tony like this.
  10. tca126

tca126 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of projected E and SE the next 3 days here. Hoping to get out tomorrow or Wednesday again to do another ground assault.

11. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job looks like a healthy one too.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

12. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you get one! I haven't hunted from the ground in a few years. It was always exciting to see deer while ground hunting.

13. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    50 more points for the good guys! I’m in shock right now lol I’ll share the story soon it’s a good one.

Tony, copperhead and Kyle Rayburn like this.
  14. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! 250 points on Doe before a buck falls is crazy.

copperhead likes this.
  15. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    They need to update the scorecard soon before we overwhelm brad hahahah. We are killing it. Literally I reckon...getting off work an hour early so gonna go hit some public land. I know of some bedding close to the road with oaks high up. Wind is perfect for it and I'll get set up quick. Fog should lift within the first hour. One of those go for it hunts but ya never know!

16. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I decided hunting on the ground wasn’t for me. Just couldn’t get comfortable or confident. So I thought about finding a climber but I figured out I just can’t support my weight on my hand yet. Instead I decided to buy a nice harness I had been planning on getting and trying out my muddy hang and hunt set up. Practiced a few times in the yard and while slow and not efficient I figured I could do it. I decided tonight to go out for a little practice run with all my gear. Picked a spot about 300-400 yards from my house where I have seen deer cross into the public many times. I got there about 1 hour earlier then I usually saw the deer and picked a tree. It pry took me 40 minutes to get in the tree and comfortable and I made WAY to much noise and got a little frustrated. Didn’t last long though felt great to be in a tree stand. I wasn’t in the stand relaxing 15 minutes and all of a sudden I see a tail flick forty yards through the brush. 2 fawns a nice doe and about a 80” buck were within 20 yards from me in minutes and I took my time and shot the nice doe. I’m colorblind so the second she disappeared I got nervous so I went home got the wife and the new pup I want to train to blood trail for me. I bring him to the arrow let him sniff around and get him going in the right direction and encourage him to “find the deer”. He literally drags me straight to her. I couldn’t believe it, the whole evening was awesome. First public land deer and first trail for my dog. IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0213.JPG

Tony, copperhead, blackbear and 3 others like this.
  17. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job man! Great story. It’s always fun when you aren’t expecting much to happen!

18. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Great story! And nice doe! My best friend is color blind as well. He tracks most of his deer by just getting a line on where he thinks they’re running. The ones he can’t find I usually find in a few minutes by the blood. That’s awesome that your dog took you to her.

19. bloodrunner13

bloodrunner13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go man! Congrats one the deer. I started taking my dog on blood trails when he was a pup, even if I knew where the deer was. last year my dad gut shot a doe and couldnt find her. As a last ditch effort i brought my dog to see if maybe he could find her, 30 mins later he found her piled up in a thicket. never be prouder of a dog.

20. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Well got me another doe this morning lol doesn't help the team but it will now allow me to buck hunt solely! Three doe came in to 8 yards and the doe i shot looked up and saw me. She runs into some thicker cover down wind and curiosity killed her. She came back to 18 trying to get a wiff and it didnt work. Mind you this year I went to zero scent control products. Just wash my clothes and try not to stink lol. Thermals rising is what saved me I suppose cuz she couldn't get scent. Anyway i was able to get my camera on her and drew as she put her nose in the air. Went in front left shoulder and out the back right ham....she 100 yards or so. Had to hurry to get my daughter from school cuz i left her lay for a few hours before tracking. So no field pics.... She's a big mature doe and im one happy hunter!

Tony, copperhead and bowhunt4abuck like this.