Team 14 - Cross Country Killers

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    My computer is on the fritz. The trackpad (mouse) is all jacked up, so I can’t email them to my phone and upload them. Here’s a pic of a pic of a new buck that showed up. I’m 98% sure it’s the 8 I glassed in the field last week or the week before. I’d say he could make 120”
    6C23717A-EEAC-41E8-A263-C683F452D327.jpeg

4. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys, that buck jumped us up to 2nd currently. Let's win this thing.

5. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Setting this evening out, thunderstorms rolling in. I’m trying to hunt smarter not harder. Next Saturday, they’re showing a high of 54 and low of 39. Probably won’t hunt again until then unless there’s a west wind. Found some beds that seem like they are wind based bedding on my midday scouting Friday. I’ve never hunted and early season and didn’t feel like I was spinning my wheels.

6. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I may try and go after another doe in the morning, depending if the rain is out of here. I know I'm done contributing as far as points go, but I'll be on here all season.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  7. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    So guys. This was my one of my 2 new spots this year. They say your first sit in a stand is always your best opportunity to kill a nice buck. This is the second time now this has happened to me. The first time I killed a 145" 12 point. But here is the story. It was a fairly uneventful evening. I hadn't seen a single deer and it was approaching 7pm. About 7:02, I looked over the bank where I'd suspect they'd be coming from, cause that's where the bedding area is. I seen this buck. At first I wasn't sure which one it was. There are 2 10' I had on my hit list. One I named Big Brow 10, and the other Small Brow 10. I think these bucks may be brothers. I'll show you pics of both. I had both on my hit list. He walked up through a natural drainage ditch and I thought I might not get a shot. But then he cut up out of the ditch and started coming. About 7:05 he cut around a tree and gave me a perfect broadside shot about 25 yards away. He even stopped so I didn't have to grunt at him. I shot and couldn't see where it hit but I was pretty sure I put a good shot on him. I waited about a 1/2 hour and went down after him. I found really good blood and he ran into some really thick stuff. I heard some thrashing around so I immediately stopped tracking. I waited a few minutes and the thrashing stopped. So I gave it a few more minutes and started following the blood again. This time I heard thrashing again but saw brush moving so I knew right where he was. I stopped again and watched him now. I could tell he'd be dead real soon. He stopped thrashing again so I waited another minute then walked over and gave him a couple kicks and he was dead. The drag out was brutal. Tons of thick bryars, downed trees, old logs all over. Had to go up about a 30 foot steep bank and a few very soft watery, muddy areas and all in the dark. But my daughter's boyfriend came out and helped me. It was his first deer drag ever and he was whipped after it, lol.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a couple pics of the buck I shot and the buck I think that might be his brother that I call Small Brow 10. 20190927_161734.jpg 20190909_071128.jpg 20190827_184723.jpg 20190909_071019.jpg 20190909_071039.jpg 20190909_071159.jpg

slickbilly-d likes this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Damn man, I read the intial post when you made it and was hoping it was a quick and temporary deal.

With some bucks dropping realized I hadn't seen you post in a while, got concerned but see you are still able to make it on the forums at least.

Hope things turn around for you in the deer hunting world. Any relief in sight?

Any cams out in AL? Sorry had to ask just in case. :lol:

If anyone can do it with a few days and a trail cam, you'd be my pick.

gri22ly and entropyfx like this.
  10. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck Shawn! I only saw a few does he other day. Nothing came inside of 50 yards so I just enjoyed the morning. My next sit is set for Friday, and I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

entropyfx, Shawn Clark and Fix like this.
  11. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be going out Monday in the morning, but I'm going in the evening. The rest of the week I'll be helping my grandson to try and get one.

entropyfx likes this.
  12. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    View from tonight's stand. Expecting some good action. Hopefully the grandson nails a nice one or I nail a nice fat doe. 20191007_172215.jpg 20191007_172204.jpg

13. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a nice first sit, but no deer. And the squirrels ate my seat, which I should have checked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on the awesome buck shawn!!! sounds like it was a great hunt. I was able to harvest a couple of does last night. I will try to get the pics posted on the score card tomorrow. Keep up the great work Guys.

15. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the does.

16. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    This evening I saw 2 fawns, a 1 1/2 old buck and a decent older buck that was all broken. So we decided to pass on all of them. Might get out tomorrow evening.

17. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm going to try and hunt Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, and Thursday morning also. Then after Thursday I won't be able to get back out til Sunday evening.

18. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I know scores aren't updated but that doe gives us 280 6/8 which currently puts us on top.

entropyfx likes this.
  19. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saweeet! My next sit is Friday morning. I’m very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

entropyfx and Shawn Clark like this.
  20. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: