***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2019***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Not just you, and it is not fiction.

The stand I hunted last year when I killed my buck absolutely without a doubt confirmed it for me. 100% no one will ever change my mind onthe matter.

I was sitting there watching I think it was two does and 3 fawns. I posted about it in the LFTS last year, will have to go find it.

Anyhow, watched them coming in from the south, 35 yds to my left, is an oak stand. 12 feet up, has an 8ft aluminum ladder bungee'd to a horizontal branch. The fawns strolled by carelessly, one of the does, possibly the only one, stopped before going past that stand. She literally stopped in her tracks and stared intently at that stand with no one in it. She head bobbed, stared at it, head bobbed, stutter stepped, she did everything but stomp and blow.

No doubt in my mind someone did one of 3 things in that stand in October. Got busted drawing or gettingnin position to, whiffed a shot on her or if she was the onky doe with 3 fawns in tow, they shot a doe with her and she caught the movement from the stamd and knew where the danger lurked.

I kinda lean towards one of the first 2, as I think with the 3rd she may avoid that area altogether.

Made me want to start putting up some sort of ribbon/streamer at stand sights hooing to get them used to some sort of movement and not so edgy.

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen it a few times.

The first time was when I used to hunt in a lease in Arkansas where it's legal to hunt over feeders. I almost never did, but once I went to hunt my brother's feeder. I knew he had been busted moving because he told me about it.

He had a Summit climber on a tree and when I got there the wind was wrong for it so I moved it to the other side of the feeder.

After a while a big old doe came from upwind, which would have been directly behind anyone sitting there) and approached the tree the stand had been in very cautiously. I thought she kept looking up but when she got almost right under it she looked straight up, moving her head from side to side.

That taught me a lesson.

Oh yeah, I killed her 10 minutes later.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will add that I do not believe deer walk through the woods staring up in the trees at random, but that they can hold memory of events and retain specifics.

Hell, I know that my dog knows the difference between the sound of his treats bag compared to a chips bag. When he hears the treat bag he is calm and cute, when he hears a chip bag he is impatient and unruly. He knows one is certain, the other is either a "no" or a "fine, take it and shut up" :lol:

5. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience those ol nannies will check out that spot nearly every time once they have busted you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think that depends on how much hunting pressure they get every year.

In Arkansas I hunt at Wattensaw WMA. Except for a draw muzzleloader hunt it's bow only and it has always gotten a lot of pressure.

Every time I see a group of does coming my way there the lead doe, without fail, will glance up in the trees every few steps.

Those deer are educated to the point that they have learned to look up for threats on a regular basis. If you kill a doe there you've done something. If you kill a mature buck there you're a God-like hunter.

Now that I have a Tactacam on my bow I'll try to catch those does doing that on video.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  7. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My night got very interesting not long after my last post. Doe and 2 fawns came from 40 yards behind my house and out into the field I was sitting. They proceeded to eat apples and came in to 30 yards where I released an arrow. Not sure what happened (I think I hit a branch) but momma busted out with an arrow thru her face. Ughh, worst feeling ever! I thought of her suffering for weeks until she starved to death. Got down and actually found a blood trail. I learned that shooting a deer in the face can be deadly, although I hope to never repeat this. She didn't make it 100 yards. I thankful that I was watched over tonight as this could have been a rough one. Thank you Lord. Congrats to Jim and Merlin. IMG_20191007_192516003.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    doesn't matter what deer stares you down, if you just close your eyes they seem to leave you alone. i've done this over and over. it keeps them from blowing out the woods and you might still get a shot once they don't think you're a living thing.

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats pastor!

10. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, didn't see much except a lot of pheasants. Still nice evening in the stand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Jim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail and pastorjim08 like this.
  12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    vermontwhitetail likes this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn that’s a worse case scenario with the best possible outcome!!! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear you are seeing lots of pheasant

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!

And think...NO meat wasted! Nice job Dan.

16. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Clintons to do list:
    Wake up on time
    Use correct broadheads
    Wake up..set 11 alarms
    Get in truck
    Make sure truck has gas
    Wake up
    Walk to stand

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% agree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just hide behind my bow.

vermontwhitetail and tdk5525 like this.
  20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, finally back home. Long story short, I was on my way to my evening stand and I saw two does in the food plot that I needed to walk through to get to my stand. I kinda stepped into some brush thinking they might come close enough for a shot. I sat down on a fallen log and spotted another doe coming from the opposite direction. I waited until she moved into the timber then got up to see where the first two had gone. They weren't there any longer so I continued on to the stand, busting the third doe out of the timber. I wasn't feeling to confident after that but got in my stand anyway. I had sat there close to an hour when I heard foot steps. I looked up and the buck was coming out of another section of woods. He was within 30 yards but I couldn't get a shot sue to the foliage. He fed around a little bit and headed my way. He stepped into the only lane I had and I stopped him at 25 yards, I had ranged that spot previously. I grunted, he stopped and I put an arrow through him. He ran about 30 yards and he saw him go behind a downed tree and he never came out. He dropped right there. Not the biggest I've ever shot but a decent deer that will feed a family for a while. I've had no internet for most of tjje day so I texted swampy and he did my work for me on here. I must say it felt good to turn that arrow loose tonight. He I had some weird things going on with his rack.

Blessings...........Pastorjim [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.