Good or Bad start? You tell me

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNBowBender, Oct 4, 2019.

1. MNBowBender

MNBowBender Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First sit for the 2019-20 season in WI and had this guy and two of his buddies come in. The Vertix made quick work of him but I hunt a small property that has a lot of fawns. Never have scene or had any photos of Yotes on camera on this property. Glad this one is dust but I think I have a couple more bulls running through my china shop.

Attached Files:

2. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some might view predatory animals hanging around your stand as never good when you’re hunting deer or pronghorn!

But maybe not!

I’ve noticed when I’m attempting to hunt coyotes. If I come across an area with a large herd of pronghorn around, the song dogs come in quickly after we start calling that area! Like they lurk around behind the herd!

Idk for sure! But hunting coyotes themselves proves very challenging and is exciting and fun in its own right. Folks don’t hunt them for fur like they used to for centuries. And they don’t have wolves and other apex predators to keep their population in check anymore.

I hunt more coyotes than I do anything else.
    They’re a fun challenge, as you have to call them in to you to hunt them successfully in numbers. They don’t stick around and graze. They come in looking for a quick meal, kill, or fight. Then turn around and head out quick when they figure out they’ve been duped!

This was a healthy looking brush wolf you got here. In a couple months he probably would have yielded a beautiful coat for a jacket lining!

Bowhunting coyotes is mostly what I got into archery for. It keeps my intrusiveness in many areas to a minimum for other hunting later on. And I hunt some areas right on the edge of town where I can’t legally use a firearm or the property owner has requested I don’t use a firearm. One of them in hunting right outside his back yard to protect his wife’s hen house!

3. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some of mine. I tried using the suppressed LWRC some but it was still a little too loud and intrusive for me...

Where it doesn’t matter I bring out the SAKO in large calibers. I’m not gathering pelts. I just want to knock down some of the numbers.

One area I hunt has a pack with 25+ dogs running in it. Which is ridiculously huge. Normal pack is 8-12 dogs or so.

Attached Files:

4. LauraKenn

LauraKenn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    where there is smoke there is fire.
    where there is 1 there is several.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be overly worried about the coyotes, but weird things do happen on occasion. I've had coyotes come in and ruin turkey hunts multiple times, they come to the calling and run out the Tom. I have seen them chasing deer on several occasions. In one instance it worked to my favor, as I was still hunting (rifle) and would've walked by the buck if the coyote hadn't caused it to stand up in it's bed.
    It is good to hunt them and try to help out the fawn survival rate a bit, plus they are just flat out fun to call in, but in your instance I wouldn't be too worried about the affect on your deer hunting.