Why do you hunt?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bonus question (if it applies to you): why do you prefer to strictly bow hunt instead of using a firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy archery hunting over firearms for a number of reasons. Weather is generally better for sitting out longer for one. I also like the challenge of getting them close trying to trick their nose and eyes. I don’t even own a rifle to use for deer. Too many crazies in woods in pa for me to even want to be out.

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the challenge. It's a real life strategy game that needs real time thoughts and changes to be successful. I do rifle hunt but I don't rifle hunt where I bow hunt coz I put all my time into my bow hunting area to try and get a history with them.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t really care for shooting guns. I mean I own some guns, but it’s not nearly as enjoyable as shooting my bow for hours. I traded my Ar-15 for a Halon 6 and sold my 1000 rounds to buy bow stuff. I just love archery. It’s not so much the challenge aspect of it, but more so I feel as if when I harvest an animal, I am paying my respects to both the discipline and art of archery as well as the animal. Gun hunting, for me, feels like...bang, okay it’s over, instead of preparing my self all season to make a good shot

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pondering the outdoors
    I read this a few years ago and have saved it., and it really touched me.

Pondering the blessings of a life long love affair with the outdoors is humbling. It brings me this simple thought: Thank you lord, for all that you have given me as a hunter. For the joyful days of good health and freedom in wild places. For great friends and hunting partners. For the magnificent creatures it has been my privilege to hunt. Not all hunts were successful, but everyday hunting was good as gold.

I bow hunt it because it makes me get to know the animals better. Also any time on the mountain is special to me.

6. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine has been a die hard bow hunter for 30 years. He only shoots trophy bucks, usually 1 a year. His trophy room is loaded.

He does NOT eat any of the meat. Donates it all.

What do you guys think about that?

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No problem, now if he shot them and only took the head that would be an issue.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer bowhunting over gun hunting because of the season, it is warmer. I can shoot my bow all day and not bother anyone if I was shooting a gun all the time it would annoy the neighbors.

Stikman likes this.
  9. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love to be up close and personal in my hunting escapades !

10. skull

skull Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting is part of my daily life sense I was born, bow hunting is my passion

11. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago, I was hunting with a Winchester .270 during the rifle season in Washington state. I was sitting just below a ridge glassing for blacktail deer in a valley below me. Shortly after getting to the spot, I noticed three hunters clad in orange spaced fairly far apart working their way down into the valley I was glassing. The noise they made was significant and kinda ruined the serenity of the moment. Meanwhile, the road had several vehicles continuously traveling up and down it. It was public land, so I understand all the folks out there hunting that day. What I did not tolerate was a couple of idiots getting bored and doing target practice at a log or something near me. I could hear the whine of bullets zinging over my head as they talked loudly, oblivious to the fact that other hunters were out and about (specifically, ME!). I hunched down and worked my way far from those two jerks. At that point, I started looking at bow hunting instead, and bought my first bow shortly after. MUCH quieter, less crowded, more challenging.

WillO likes this.
  12. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel bow hunting is more of an accomplished and worked for kill. Someone tells me about a buck they shot with a rifle it never interests me cos in my mind it’s easy and required little effort to spot something 300 yards away and shoot it

13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up rifle hunting. I have shot many animals with one and I don't find it all that interesting or exciting anymore. I've had bows since I was 8 or so, but never hunted anything bigger than a squirrel until I was 19, I had a couple friends that took my archery elk hunting. After playing with elk in the rut, well...there's nothing else that compares with it. Haven't missed a year of it since and couldn't imagine giving it up to go rifle hunt for them after the rut...boring IMO in comparison. The up close encounters, having to have all your senses tuned in, figuring out how to draw without being seen, watching the arrow flight, the sound of a broad head tipped arrow when it hits them, it just all adds up to way more sense of accomplishment than seeing one a few hundred yards away, putting a scope on it, and squeezing a trigger. For the last several years I have also been choosing to use either a bow or an old traditional sidelock muzzleloader (loaded with patched round ball) during the any weapons season for whitetail. It just requires more skill with a close range weapon, the encounters are more exciting, and the sense of accomplishment is much higher for me. Other than shooting my home defense pistol, the only time I shoot a CF weapon these days is when I go coyote calling or need to fill an extra doe tag in the wide open area I apply for it in.

14. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bow-hunt and rifle-hunt because I want there to be healthy herds of animals for future generations to enjoy long after I’m gone! I support the ideals of the North American Wildlife Conservation Model, hunting under Fair Chase only conditions, following established hunting rules. I trophy hunt, as is defined by the Boone and Crockett Club of North America(this is not killing for sport...please research if you don’t know). Being a part of conservation as a sport hunter, that has brought all North American big game species back from near extinction due to commercial hunting in the 1800’s shows that I care and want to preserve managed levels of big game animals in the U.S.

15. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started hunting in central Ohio about 68 years ago. My father and uncle had two farms so it was no problem for a place to hunt. Deer in the mid 50s were scarce so rabbits, squirrels and pheasants were on the list. Have some grandkids who want to hunt so I'm getting back into it. I have hunted with rifle, handgun and bow. Retired 10 years ago so this is on the biggie list for this year.

16. Roamer

Roamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solitude, Zen

17. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer bow hunting to rifle hunting, but I like both.

I love everything about it man. I love everything from the early morning wake-ups, to putting on camo, preseason adjustments on your bow, scouting and putting up cameras, the excitement of harvesting an animal and seeing what you've got on the camera when you put up. I love getting in the truck or on the side by side and driving to and from the area I hunt. Every little thing about it.

18. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel bow hunting is more challenging & takes me back to basic roots. Nithing better than having a deer walk right under your stand without having a clue you are there or stalking up to a deer. I only use rifle season to finish up meat stores for the tear!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

19. trophyhill

trophyhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I cut my teeth rifle hunting mule deer. If I could see em, I could kill em. It got too easy not to mention dangerous with all the orange vests in the hills.

Then I started hunting with a bow. Now when I see em, I have to try and figure out how to hunt em. Sometimes it goes my way, and sometimes not ;)

jonderrs7 likes this.