Heads up all....

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Skunkworkx, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From another site I'm on....

CDC warns deer with tuberculosis can transmit bacteria to humans
    POSTED 11:51 AM, SEPTEMBER 26, 2019, BY FOX59 WEB
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images

Federal health officials are warning hunters to take additional precautions after discovering deer with tuberculosis can potentially transmit the bacteria to humans.

The advisory comes from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which did a case study involving a 77-year-old Michigan man.

The man hunted regularly and field-dressed deer for two decades. In 2017, lab tests showed he had been exposed to Mycobacterium bovis, which is found in deer, cattle, bison and elk. The bacterium can spread to humans and cause tuberculosis.

The CDC said two other cases in Michigan in 2002 and 2004 were also linked to hunters who had apparently contracted it from deer while field-dressing them.

As a result, “hunters are encouraged to use personal protective equipment while field-dressing deer” as a precaution.

Hunters in Michigan who submit deer heads that test positive for M. bovis might be at higher risk of infection, the CDC said. The agency recommended TB screening on a precautionary basis.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How long until we wait for test results before we eat venison?

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I imagine it depends on the state. In Michigan it's about a week or even less depending on how many deer get submitted for testing. Mine was done last year in about 5 days if I recall correct. CWD test done at same time.

From what I've read, infectious TB is pretty easy to spot though. Inside of ribs will be spotted with lesions. I only cared about CWD but if you submit it to the MI DNR they test for both automatically.

4. Veronic23

Veronic23 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]

5. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    The way I read it, it's only the dressing of the deer that can cause this ?

Anything looks "funny", I may pas on it. But that hasn't happened …...yet. We had one Doe that looker like she had a Jay Leno chin and it jiggled as she walked/ran....we never got a chance to take her out.

6. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/CWD_in_Maryland.aspx

Deer Hunters and CWD

Concerns over CWD should not stop hunters from enjoying the hunting season or any venison they may acquire. CWD has not been shown to be transmissible to humans. However, it is recommended that hunters field-dressing or butchering deer should take the same precautions as they would to protect against other pathogens or diseases. It is also recommended to not consume venison from infected deer.

The following common-sense precautionary measures are recommended for the safe handling, field-dressing and home processing of venison:

• Avoid shooting or handling a deer that appears sick.
    • Wear latex or rubber gloves when field-dressing or butchering deer.
    • Remove all internal organs.
    • Remove the meat from the bones and spinal column if home processing a deer
    • Do not use household knives or utensils when field-dressing or home processing a deer.
    • Avoid cutting through bones or the spinal column (backbone).
    • If you saw off antlers or through a bone, or if you sever the spinal column with a knife, be sure to disinfect these tools prior to using them for the butchering or removal of meat.
    • Always wash hands and instruments thoroughly after dressing and processing game meat.
    • Use a 50/50 solution of household chlorine bleach and water to disinfect tools and work surfaces. Wipe down counters and let them dry; soak knives for one hour.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now consider this...popup deer processors handling hundreds of deer with limited cooler storage. I'm thinking none of those measures are used going from deer to deer. Saws, grinders, knives......

Skunkworkx likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very valid point OND.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. But not only popup shops, but even regular processors.

No one is going to disinfect after each/every deer, or cow, or pig, or …...

oldnotdead likes this.