Team 11 Hab en Arrows

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by fletch920, Aug 26, 2019.

1. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So are we going with the Hab en arrows then? How’s everybody doing, been kinda quiet. Opening day is this Saturday for me. Might be a good weekend

2. Mlavigne78

Mlavigne78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think so? I’m going to get a doe before muzzleloader comes in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John adams likes this.
  3. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am good... just got promoted at work so I been busy... only been able to get out once and was winded by a fawn at 5 yards... fingers crossed I can hunt Saturday and put some meat in the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Mlavigne78 and John adams like this.
  4. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    78754521-987A-4CA8-B96C-22C3C1D67E57.jpeg 460AD879-B1A6-477C-8EC7-25B9FE646E8E.jpeg God blessed me with an opportunity and I took it. I will post in scorecard thread sometime. Scored 130ish

5. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    John adams likes this.
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John, that second pic you posted is so Top- Notch it crazy!!
    Congrats on a great deer and to capture that pic!

John adams likes this.
  7. Mlavigne78

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats John! That’s awesome

John adams likes this.
  8. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like once they update the score card we will be at 247! Good luck these next couple weeks guys. I’ll be focusing on getting my son a chance at one.

fletch920 likes this.
  9. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I have been gone for a few days. I just got back and saw that we have ANOTHER buck on the ground. Huge congrats to those that have already scored a buck. I did come back to a private message with some concerns about how our two bucks have been scored. Scoring is done to the 8th of an inch and it is extremely rare for most or all measurements to fall on exactly inch or half-inch increments. Can you please take the time to take another look and add or subtract measurements to the 8th of an inch if possible. Nobody is claiming that we are cheating, just wanting to see that scores are done as accurately as possible. Thanks for the help on this!

Fix likes this.
  11. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    In regards to my buck I really don’t care about gaining an eighth of an inch, so if it Was closer to an inch I went with an inch if it was closer to half an inch I went with half an inch, just figured it would make it easier to add all up. Didn’t know it would cause and issue Nor did I mean for it too. I would understand the “concern” If I made the score out to be higher than what it realistically looks like. Unfortunately the deer is at the taxidermist so I have no way of rescoring it to the exact eighth of an inch. I can try and call the taxidermist and see if he will do it for me. If it’s that big of an issue count it as 50 points I guess.

12. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    I want to make a note I DID NOT ROUND UP, I ONLY ROUNDED DOWN.

tynimiller and fletch920 like this.
  13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Not my call to make, but the contest is based on a clearly stated scoring system. I would suggest that we should probably follow it to be legitimate on all entries. It just seems to raise questions if we dont. Its all for fun, but there are a few rules that some folks are strict to follow.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just for reference sake, and to kick the idea out I was not any of the ones messaging Fletch...I wanted to share a quick reason why some would draw concern from scores. Also don't worry genuine ignorance to scoring or honest mistakes in scoring happens every year (I don't see any egregious ones yet...but they'll happen).

The reason why you don't just round to nearest half is there are basically 8 different side specific measurements (16 measurements total) and then the spread. Say if all of those are just over a half when measuring...you are adding over 8 inches to your total just because of that rounding. Where as say all 17 measurements are to the 5/8 figure instead....the actual true gross score is a lot different.

God bless and awesome kickstart to the season for this team! Keep it up folks!

Fix, John adams and fletch920 like this.
  15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I think we all get that, in our case, it seems that John actually rounded down on measurements to the full or half for easy figuring of totals. Which means he may have shorted himself a few inches. You could lose up to 3/8 per measurement. Maybe his taxidermist would be willing to send an accurate score sheet and put this to rest. He shot a beautiful buck and deserves to get full credit, that is for sure!

No word from Mlavigne78 yet, as it appears he may have done something similar.

The most common measurement that I see messed up year after year, is the spread measurement. Even though the P&Y score sheet asks for outside measurement, it really means nothing towards score. Remember that the inside spread is measured between the main beams, not the outside of the beams. For reference, an average buck will only be around 15 or 16 inches from ear-tip to ear-tip. That mistake was made multiple times last year.

We are off to an amazing start and most of our guys have not even started hunting yet and no does have been shot. Lets keep it going!

John adams and tynimiller like this.
  16. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    I’m calling him today to see if I can’t swing by after work and get a re-score. Thanks!

airenlow and fletch920 like this.
  17. Mlavigne78

Dislikes Received:
    I just saw these posts. My deer is also at the taxidermist, that was my biggest bow kill. I also rounded down due to I’m not a professional scorer and didn’t want to in anyway cheat. I will see if I can get anything done about a remeasure

airenlow and fletch920 like this.
  18. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bear from this spring, pretty proud of it. I did the baiting, and making the spot all by myself and arrowed this bear on the 3rd last day of season. First archery bear and bear ever. Resized_20190930_113831_6452.jpeg

19. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    That's a beautiful bear. Congrats on doing it all yourself.

20. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone on the team get out today? I’m waiting for the cold front this weekend. Finally some fall(ish) temps here in northern KY

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums