Camera Choices - worth the upgrade? How much memory?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Jack69, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Jack69

Jack69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I'm looking for advice. I'm setting up some cameras on private property. The property is in the mountains with both large clearings and heavy timber, and has a couple of ******* neighbors that I've had confrontations with about trespassing and poaching on the backside, so I'm trying to see if they are doing this or chasing game off of this land onto theirs. There's no cell service and no line of sight between the locations I want to monitor, so I've given up on cuddlelink and other cellular solutions.

A couple of cameras I've been looking at are the Browning Spec Ops Advantage and the Bushnell Core DS No Glow. I've also been looking at cheaper options like the Browning Dark Ops Extreme. I'm wondering how much of a step down it is to go with the cheaper cameras?

I was going to just go for the higher end cameras, until I started mapping things out and realized I'm going to need at least 15 of them to cover the different possible routes, so cheaper at least for some of them is preferred.

Has anyone used these different cameras and could you share the quality differences? Important is that they are no glow and can be out in the field for a long period of time and withstand extreme temps as they will be out year round.

Also, how long with the memory cards take to get full? Max capacity is 512 GB, which run $100/each, but I haven't seen how quickly the cards can fill up. I'll have them set for both video and photos if possible at high resolution and may only check them every 3-6 months in the off season. I'd like to go cheaper here too, I just don't know which way to go.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used any of that model. I had a problem with trepassers and thieves a few years back. I hang my trail cams 12-15 feet up to keep them out of the sight of people and away from thieves. A Black Flash cam is great for areas people trespass early in the morning. Also, check out Wing Supply for some good deals on Trail Cams. Keep an eye on Amazon as well. I have got some good deals on some Stealth Cams there.

3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm testing our a Stealth g45ng max now. The Stealth ds4k have worked good for me. In your case I would go for the browning spec ops advantage. I have 3 spec ops extreme which is the same as the advantage model. The are the best video cameras I have. I have the external battery packs for mine. They have been out for 4 months without changing batteries in video mode. I use 32 gb cards. Depending on the amount of activity you may be good with a 64 gb card for that timespan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure about the high end cameras, but I thought most cameras only worked with SD cards 32 GB and below.

5. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    EBay is your best friend in this situation. I run 12 Moultrie W40i cams. I have not paid more then $70 each for them. Not that I have had to send many back but Moultrie has been very good about standing behind them if I send them back through a dealer. Even if Moultrie is not your favorite company EBay may be the cheapest place to get a high quality camera for an affordable price.