Brand new

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by NMGuy, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have someone watch you if that fails try to set up your camera on your phone and analyse the footage.

NMGuy likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please know that this guy isn't being made fun of because if his spelling and grammar. It is solely derived from the opinions and nonsense that he stated in other threads. He is a troll and unlikely that anything he wrote was truth.

dnoodles and NMGuy like this.
  3. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Will do.

I’m supposed to go shoot with an experienced friend on Sunday sometime. I’ll have him watch.

I can tell I’m pulling the shot. I just need to figure out why and stop doing it. If I can stop it my groups will be cut in half. Best group so far at 30 was ~2.5” but I haven’t gotten under 4” since then. Most are closer to 6”

I’m going to stop shooting groups though because I’ve lost a bunch of arrows doing it. I’ll just photograph or mark hits and compare.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't let a pro shop talk you into shooting a RH bow LH and then making a decision. I had one try that once on me and I was tempted to punch the "tech" in the face. Yes you can do it but it's the dumbest crap I ever heard of...until this post:

grammar/typos aside; none of this is even close to being true or good advice. He's a troll. Or a retard. Or a retarded troll.
    Most of us on this site can deal with uneducated. Heck, a lot of us are uneducated. But to be intentionally and proudly ignorant is contemptible. This guy is both.

Back to archery-

For hunting, you can get away with a whisker biscuit. I've had them, and there's nothing wrong with them, but I shoot and like QAD Ultra Rests better. That's all. I've also shot a few other limb-driven rests that I really like for distance shooting but not so much for hunting.

I love my Spott Hogg Fast Eddie 2-dot more than I ever thought I could like a sight. Worth every bit of the $250 price tag. But I've also used $80 Trophy Ridge V series sights to great effect.

Your selected release should be fine; most of them are personal choice rather than "good" or "bad"

As to your bow, my advice is don't get stuck on a price tag. There's plenty of very good "budget" bows out there in the 400-600 range. If you can afford a $1000-1600 bow and find one you love, great. I love my $1000 Bowtech. But I also really love my $400 Mission Ballistic and as much as I hate to admit I shoot it better than my Bowtech. I prefer my Bowtech for hunting because it has a much better back wall which especially when treestand hunting is a big plus. But as a pure shooter- that Mission is a dream.

My personal experiences- it's much better to shoot a $400 bow with expensive accessories than a $1000 bow with cheap accessories. You'll end up spending around the same amount of cash originally; but if you buy a flagship bow with cheap accessories you will always be chasing the dragon by buying "better" more expensive accessories.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn dude! I need to find a better job! A brand new bow to just learn on and then 1000$ bow with 800$ accessories after you learn!! 5500$ shotgun! I knew I should have been a lawyer instead of a history teacher! damn! all jokes aside, with money being no object, a high end bow is just that...the quality of a Mathews, Hoyt, Elite, Bowtech flagship bow is the way to go if you can afford it...it's not a necessity to kill deer or any animal, but it will shoot and hold well. get the best you can afford and enjoy shooting those Cadillacs! I buy the flagship bows, I have to save for them and sacrifice in other areas of life but bowhunting is my passion and it's worth it to me.

NMGuy likes this.
  6. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’m probably not making much more than you are. I’m definitely not upper middle class.

I have no wife to answer to and no kids to spend money on yet.

I made an emergency savings account that I built up and I keep funneling small amounts of money into it every paycheck. After that ~$75 a month in savings and all my bills, anything I have left over is for fun! Just bought a new truck so I’m a little down on fun money as of late, factoring in that big payment, but I’ve been working a lot of overtime lately! Part of why I just took the cheap bow is I don’t have any downtime to drive to the nearest big town with an archery shop.

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    dude you are living the way you want and I think it's awesome man. Keep doing it an enjoy while you can! I wish I could back have a redo sometimes.

NMGuy likes this.
  8. DWitt

DWitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like other guys have said, nothing wrong with whisper biscuits but you can eventually have the whispers start to wear out as in they start to get some strays sometimes where it won't necessarily keep your arrow where it did when it was new.

Like the other guys, a lot of us like the QAD ultrarests because they are durable, have worked well for a long time and have an arrow guard that is pretty functional. Like I mentioned in another post about the QAD ultrarests, there's a reason why the top bow manufacturers have QAD produce ultrarests that are designed to fit their risers better.

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    QAD hands down the best IMO.

10. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So is the “Hoyt ultra rest” a QAD with the Hoyt brand put on it?

And the “ultra rest” from Mathews is the same I assume?

11. leastbay

leastbay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Take a rest and try again tomorrow when you're fresh.

NMGuy likes this.
  12. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went back out today and shot about 70 times. Mostly at 30 yards.

I also turned the limb bolts to increase the poundage on my bow. Should be around 60lbs now

I’m now down to about a 3 1/2”group and the horizontal stringing is gone. I’m getting nice circular groups and consistently hitting the kill zone at 30 yards. Not quite there on the 40 yard range but I’m pretty happy with myself being a right handed person shooting a left handed bow.

I had a fellow archer watch me and he pointed out I was grabbing the bow at the end of my shot with just my index finger. I focused on letting the bow go instead of trying to see where my arrow impacted after the shot and it got far better.

I think the extra draw weight help me hold it on the back wall a little better as well. I’m a big guy. I was concerned about being able to pull the bow back left handed but I’m not having any problems at 60lbs.

13. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I setup some of the G5 deadmeat BMP tips as got sighted in with them. I intend to bring the bow on my coyote hunt tomorrow and if I find a nice area where I can get them inside 30 yards I will attempt to take one with the bow.

Bringing my rifle with me too and my hunting partner is bringing his shotgun with some #4 buck Incase I butcher the shot with the bow. But I’m confident I can make a clean 30 yard and in shot.

14. DWitt

DWitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the manufacturers work with QAD to get the rest to fit perfect to the riser of their bows instead of the universal fit.

NMGuy likes this.
  15. trophyhill

trophyhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had any experience with a fall away. Haven't had a need. I haven't had to touch my WB since initial set up in 2009. I have well over 10,000 shots and probably closer to 20k thru the WB mounted on this bow.....