Is Deer Hunting a Rich Man’s Game?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know your beer sir. Well done! And keep the savings coming!

dnoodles likes this.
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One problem here in TN is bidding for leases. Our recreation minister is an outdoorsy guy. I had occasion to hunt with him on his lease a couple of times. Last year, he lost the lease because someone came along and offered the landowner more money. Money talks. As for places to hunt, I'm looking at the TN hunting regulations booklet. The South Cherokee WMA includes 250,000 acres in SE TN and is a part of the Cherokee National Forest. There is the North Cherokee WMA but the acreage isn't listed. TN has a few state parks that allow hunting plus there are other places that are open for hunting and open to the public.
    "Seek and ye shall find."

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't read the article because my filter at work, but I will say that the price I pay to hunt the lease I have is actually a hunt club of 30 members..it's also a deer dog club primarily because that's pretty much what we have here in southeast VA. We all pay $1500 a year for 7,000 acres. it's good land with lots of deer and some of VA's best best live here. With that said, the average club here runs about 700-800$ a year per member, so yeh I pay more to hunt than many others, but I make sacrifices to do it in other ways.

4. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Hunting Public as much as the next guy but, honestly that's not realistic either. Sure they show you how to scout and hunt big bucks on public land...now if only I had several months a year to do nothing but scout and hunt like they do and 6 of my best friends did too :confused:

Brad Kaufmann and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It may not be reasonable to hunt multiple out-of-state tags every year. But, one out-of-state tag is manageable every year with a little effort. Right now, my wife has been a stay-at-home mom for two years. Last year I still managed to make it to Alberta for the semi-annual elk hunt with my dad and brother. The only reason I am not taking an out-of-state trip this year is because I opted to take my family to Disney World instead. Both trips are paid for with cash as a single income family. It is not easy, but I make sacrifices in other areas of my life so that it can be done.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    virginiashadow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's all in what you want out of hunting.. hunting for trophy animals on private land/outfitters is going to be a rich man's game. the average joe after meat, not so much.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will hunt on a few public lands spots totalling about 100, 000 acres this year. I couldnt be happier or richer. Animals killed based on my hard work and a little luck make it worth it. Another guys 150 inch trophy my be my 110 inch trophy. And thats ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not rich but I spend all my excess money on hunting.

It doesn’t require a TON of money, but it’s what I like to spend mine on. I don’t need 27 stands and 25 cameras...but it makes it enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk