Adjust the bow, or myself

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by moosebee, Aug 3, 2019.

1. moosebee

moosebee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I've had my bow since the beginning of april and I've been shooting a lot. I feel decent in my ability but I know I've got a ways to go. I've been watching John Dudley's videos for instruction and I feel I've come to an issue. When my bow was setup, the guys at the bow shop installed a "kisser" button for me. I had grown accustomed to using it but after listening to Dudley I've realized that I'm having to crane my head forward to keep the kisser button in place and to touch my nose to the string. I've readjusted my anchor point to better account for the angles and alignment and stopped using the kisser, but something I've noticed now is all my shots are down and left. I'm fairly certain it's the change in anchor points but I'm trying to figure out the best way to attack this: 1) go to the shop and let them re-setup the bow 2) adjust my sight 3) go back to the kisser

Thoughts?

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the draw length too short?

IMO, a kisser is a must. Take your rig back to the shop and show them how you were having to "reach" for your anchor point due to the placement of the kisser. I wouldn't adjust your site.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No kisser, I use the underside to the tip of my nose on the string, but just a little. If I shoot low I know I am getting lazy and dropping or tilting my head down on the anchor point.

WRFlatt likes this.
  4. moosebee

moosebee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OK so sometimes you need to see what you did wrong to see what you're doing right...

So I went back to the kisser and focused on the key points of my anchoring: anchor point, kisser, nose. Didn't feel like I craned as much as I thought I did. I'm moving the head forward, but not necessarily as much as I thought. In the end i was able to hit much more consistently and got my best group at 30 yards. (The one outside the circle was because of a little trigger anxiety)

IMG_0536.jpg

Sota likes this.
  5. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If for some reason you do change or feel the anchor point should change again, just have the kisser button adjusted. Shoot and sight any pin changes and eventually you may not need the kisser button. It is not weak to use one, if it helps make ethical and accurate shots. Either way it looks like you are carefully considering your shooting needs.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use my peep to tell if I've gotten lazy or changed my anchor point. I draw back and anchor, string just touching the tip of my nose, and this should always result in my not having to move my head at all to see through the peep with the sight frame centered in it. If I do need to move my head, then I know that my anchor isn't right. I try to always put my first knuckle at the end of my jaw bone, but sometimes get lazy and have to re-focus on it for a bit.
    Since you're struggling with your anchor right now, I'd keep the kisser for now and have it adjusted if you're having to move your head to acquire it. Your a fairly new shooter and your anchor and form will change a bit as you find what's comfortable and works for you, so don't be afraid to have that kisser adjusted as your form settles in. After that though it shouldn't really change and you'll want to figure out what changed in your form if you start having to hunt for your kisser again.

7. DWitt

DWitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you feel like you are able to actually full draw? If you have to move your head forward, I feel the draw length maybe a 1/2"-1" short.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Toss the kisser. It’s a waste of time and weight on string, futhemore it adds contact to your face which unless it’s totally consistent may degrade accuracy.

Step one, establish a consistent and repeatable anchor point. Step two add another point of reference, sting to nose tip for example, step three adjust your peep to proper location based off step one and two.

You now have three frames of reference to establish and maintain a consistent anchor point for accurate shooting.

9. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Moosebee, just following up to see how it is coming with your adjustments. You feel good for the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Gekkodojo

Gekkodojo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been working through Dudley’s program and my draw length has increased by about an inch. I found I also started having to lean my head forward to touch my nose to the string. I think this is common, because he talks about this exact thing happening in one of his podcasts as you learn to “shoot proud”.

11. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Very good program. A lot of people have a lot of opinions about Dudley himself, but I have used that program and it works. They are fundamentals for anyone novice or pro. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums