Is it to late already to go pull a couple sd cards now???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Killin tree, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Killin tree

Killin tree Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When do you guys stop going into the woods before your opening day. I dont know if thats a big issue or not? Im just really eager to see if this buck has been sticking around and what his patterns have been

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stay out until I go in to hunt the spot and then collect my cards. That way I'm not doubling the pressure and scent unnecessarily. I'm sure there are situations unique to you that it may not hurt, but overall I feel this is a good approach. My .02

Killin tree likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All depends I go where the deer frequent almost every day that I am home, has zero impact.

Killin tree likes this.
  4. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I change mine once a week now. I only go in the middle of the day and I'm not sneaking in or out. They can hear me coming and going. Thats on purpose. I believe if you are sneaking, it put them on high alert when they do bust you. I never have deer snort because they have plenty of time to move out my way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ash d and Berwickbuckmaster like this.
  5. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what both of you say. I ride my four wheeler right to the tree the cam is in. I never shut it off, and then I turn around and leave. That's my thinking that they will associate the 4 wheeler with danger, and not me hiking in and out...

Fix likes this.
  6. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50 percent of the time I ride mine also and don't turn it off. I do like walking to keep in shape and trimming trails as I go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on the property you hunt. People are on the property I hunt all day almost everyday so I could check cards 4 times a day and it wouldn't matter much. If I were walking into a place a mile away where people aren't frequent, I'd check it much less.

Fact of the matter is if you want to pattern a deer, you have to check them at least once in a while to see the pattern and if there is one. Mid day is usually a good time to check the camera and the least likely time deer would be traveling.

8. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it depends on how much other pressure is on the property. If a lot of people are in and out, I would not worry as much.. If its just you, I would at least wait until midday, preferably in rain or expecting rain to help with scent being left behind. I do agree with the notion of not sneaking in and out.. I have often thought that sneaking up on a deer could be worse than a deer hearing you come from a long ways off... I don't have any solid evidence if any of that is true, but I have certainly entertained the idea. I think it also depends on what value the card pull will give you, if it will dictate when and where you hunt I would say its certainly worth some sort of risk to check the card.. if its just to see what deer has been through, I would say its worth waiting.

9. Killin tree

Killin tree Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I went in today. It was raining so it was perfect. I also went in around noon. Didnt spook any deer

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums