Team 1 - Team One Shot Wonders

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I screwed up! I put out a new cell camera and I don't think I set it up right. I'm getting a message of "No activity found". I guess I'll have to get out there and pull it to see what I did wrong.

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm. What kind is it? That sucks having to go out to fix something you got so you don't have to go out to.

Bob Thomas likes this.
  3. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's a Moultrie. My fault I didn't read the instructions.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, I’m back from Wyoming with no meat in the freezer. Had an awesome time but did not get what I was hoping for. I was hunting for a good mule deer this year and passed a ton of other deer trying to make it happen. Saw lots of target deer but either ran out of daylight, had younger bucks between me and the shooters or could never catch up to them before they bedded down. In the last few days I saw some whitetails I would have had a hard time passing if they came close but they stayed about 40 yards out of range. On the last day in literally the last minute of shooting light, I shot under a really good buck at 58 yds. Two bucks came over a ridge and headed down the hill toward an alfalfa field I was set up on and passed by my 40 yd rock. At full draw I couldn't see the buck when I looked through the peep so I didn't stop him. He was walking pretty fast to another spot on the hill that afforded a little more light but there was no time to range him. I figured for 50 yards as he passed by, stopped him, settled the pin and touched the release. The lighted knock was on it's way and went about 2" underneath his rib cage and stuck into the dirt bank he was skirting. He and his buddy ran off and I ranged the lighted knock; 57.8 yards. If I had only used the 60 pin I'd be telling a different story. I typically take 2-3 does when I go to Wyoming and this year I didn't even buy a doe tag, focusing entirely on that big mule deer.

It was a great two weeks though. Three of my friends from Oklahoma had drawn elk tags and I told them I would go a day early and find them some elk, which I did on the first night. The next morning they were in elk, my buddy and I were glassing mule deer while they chased elk around the mountain; and we were all happy :). They ended up killing to bulls by the end of the week. I also got to spend a few days with Levi and Samantha Morgan at my son's hunting lodge and also met Tyler Rector and reconnected with Josh Sturgill from the BHOD show. Hung out with friends, family and the grandkids so it was a good week. We saw over 400 deer, 4 moose, tons of antelope and over 100 elk on this trip. Also saw 10 coyotes and had a badger walk past my set up while in a tree stand. It was like wild America all week.

Oklahoma season opens on October 1 but if it stays as hot as it has been I won't be hunting for a while. Kansas deer are looking pretty good and I still have a 3 day special draw hunt in Texas so I'm hoping it all comes tother somewhere along the way.

5. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an amazing trip! It's not always about the kill to have a successful hunt. I would love to take a trip like that.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JGD and Bob Thomas like this.
  6. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we may catch a weather shift this weekend. Maybe it will get the deer moving. If I dont get pouring rain and lightening I will probably hunt. Anybody else have weekend hunt plans?

Bob Thomas likes this.
  7. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be up in a tree bright and early Saturday morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner3 and Bob Thomas like this.
  8. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in a tree Saturday morning also. I found a spot in RI that I can hunt in but don't know much about it so I'll be hunting and scouting at the same time. I'll have my saddle and climber with me so I can set up at anytime.

JGD and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  9. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Youngest daughter has soccer game sat morning so I'm relegated to evening hunts which is fine. I kind of prefer evening hunts early season provided it's not a million degrees.

JGD and Bob Thomas like this.
  10. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went in after an optometrist visit Monday afternoon and moved my set to a new area of the park. I thought this corner was a good spot on my first scouting trip back in August so I packed everything back and found a good tree. To my back is brush so thick there's no way to shoot into it and to the front of me is a more open little circle that looks like it gets good traffic and then on the other side of that is an oak stand. Hoping I can catch them going to and from food with this setup and get a drop on a couple of these big city bucks. [​IMG][​IMG]

Bob Thomas, JGD and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be checking cameras, looking at a couple of small kill plots I planted 3-4 weeks ago, putting up a ladder stand and hopefully catching some stripers. :)

Bob Thomas and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  12. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Bob Thomas likes this.
  13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checked cameras this morning and was really disappointed. No bucks on camera and only one doe and a few hogs. Cows have been turned onto the lease and they "redirected" one of my cameras so I got nothing on that one. The next one had dead batteries and I'm not sure why. They are only a month old but it's an old camera. The last camera I didn't get to as it started pouring rain and never let up. I did get the stand up but am now thinking of moving it. The food plots don't show any growth at all and I'm really confused about that. Did everything right but nothing is coming up. It's been 3-4 weeks so I expected to see something... Not a great day but I'll be after the "strippers" tomorrow. :)

Ridgerunner3, Zblevins and Bob Thomas like this.
  14. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait! I'm going out in the morning. Have a birthday party to go to in the afternoon. Good luck with the Strippers! lol

Ridgerunner3 and Zblevins like this.
  15. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its parents weekend here in Clemson. A year ago, I was big $hit. I didn't see myself missing my parents at all. I was ready to grow up and face the real world all on my own. Fast forward a year and now nothing makes me happier than having them here to enjoy the weekend with me. And Its only week 5! Perspective is a powerful thing, for sure.

Its been a long week of exams and I'm definitely excited to go to the game with my parents tomorrow. In only a few weeks I'll be in the tree in Illinois. Nothing sounds better than some time in the stand. Until then though, you're stuck with my boring school updates.

Good luck boys, I'll be following closely.

JGD, Zblevins and Bob Thomas like this.
  16. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am elevated! I was about a half hour later than I wanted to be this morning, didn't get up and situated until about 645, but I'm here. My boss called me right when I was walking out my front door and told me they had the gate closed and locked so I had to park on the street on the other side of the park and walk in from that direction which is was cost me so much time. Never walked in from that side before and trying to navigate to my stand was a little more difficult in the dark on a trail I hadn't used to get to my tree before. All I need now is that big ass buck to walk by.

Good morning and good luck to everyone that's up in the air this morning! [​IMG]

JGD and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  17. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck!

18. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Me too! So far just a grey squirrel climbed the tree next to me to get a better look but didn’t sound the alarm.
    IMG_2148.JPG

Probably sent from a tree with my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  19. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
  20. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received: