Twenty-five degrees and below; What are you wearing?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 16, 2019.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I may being dropping the money on some Sitka stuff this year, guy at work says he can get me last years model the fanatic stuff for like $300ea. Waiting on some details but figured that was decent deal. I hate being cold and sick of dropping money every year trying to find the right thing; time to bite the bullet.

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m watching some cabelas wooltimate stuff on eBay. If it gets up past $70 per piece, I’m going the fanatic route as well. It’s easy for me to say I don’t really need it when it’s August. Come December, I’ll be kicking my own ass for not spending the money. Or I’ll buy it and it’ll be a 50 degree winter hahaha!

3. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to drop that kind of money on clothes, but everyone that has them says it is the end of the search for warm quality clothing. So, it's time to spend the coin and find a decent boot to go with it. I kind of need rubber boats for the marsh/water around my hunting areas, yet rubber boats make my feet cold. Might be time to buy the lacrosse 1000gr and use my artic shield covers.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  4. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Buy once, cry until it’s actually cold and you’re not.

5. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Packing your clothes for the walk in and not working up a sweat helps a lot.

Feet are my worst enemy. Having boots that are dry is a major step. The insoles will hold moisture even when you think they are dry. Dry them out good before your next hunt.

early in and slickbilly-d like this.
  6. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Are you in the military? I believe Sitka gives a discount for vets and active law enforcement or fight fighters. You might call them and ask.

7. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First lite sanctuary set. It's amazing.

Black Hills Hunter likes this.
  8. Black Hills Hunter

Black Hills Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ this right here. Good to go in minus double digits easily!! Stupid comfy and quiet been in lite drizzle to crawling though and laying in deep snow never been wet or cold love it!!!

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I just ordered the Sitka Fanatic Jacket/Bibs, I got a pretty good deal, at least I think I did. Now to find a new pair of boots. I want rubber boots but rubber boots no matter the insulation always result in cold toes. I may just stick with what I have (artic shield covers) and just buy some extra hand/foot warmers to drop in there.

TheHardWoods913 and slickbilly-d like this.
  10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered the same lol. Couldn’t help it

S.McArthur likes this.
  11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wait...you mean this thread wasn't a joke?
    I don't know if I'd even put on my snowmobile gear to go out in -25 weather.
    In -25° weather I'm wearing sweats...in my house in front of a roaring fire, wondering when the freakish cold will end.
    Sure glad it doesn't get near that cold during my hunting seasons. Got my first stand ever last year, used to dressing for stillhunting and such. Dang near froze to death the first time I sat in it, and I'd actually dressed a bit warmer than normal. I think it was about +25 if I remember right ha ha. In all honesty though, I layer my clothes. Breathable base layer, then more of a thermal type layer, and then my heavier Rivers West hunting clothes for an outer layer if its pretty cold. That 100% waterproof stuff doesn't breathe at all and keeps me pretty warm.
    But around here "pretty cold" during deer season is anywhere between 10-20 degrees. I don't envy you negative temp hunters.

12. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Noooo lol 25 degrees and down to 10 or so. I’m staying in if it’s colder than that.

13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, see that I misread it now. "25 and below" for some reason made me think 25 below.
    Thanks for clarifying...I don't feel quite so wimpy now either. lol

slickbilly-d likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an ,old now, cabelas suite. It makes me look like a camo Michelin man and is heavy , but Love it and Baffin boots. Dad in law said go out to stand and I'll walk a mini drive. - 13 degrees. I sat in that stand for HOURS, frozen eye lashes , snot , head buried in hood and face mask just peeking out every so often. He never left camp...not funny than but now my stubbornness makes me laugh. My face was the only cold part on me.
    So what ever suit you get... Get a great face cover and a back up for when it gets moist. Boots good socks and not tight boots

15. wfd38383

wfd38383 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For me its my feet and fingers. I have a pair of lacrosee boots with 1600 insulate and my feet sweat like a bugger walking in. I dont wear my gloves in, but as soon as I put em on my fingers start ti sweat and then get super cold. I have tried keeping hands in jacket pockets etc. Handwarmers in the boots dont seem to work. Makes the late winter months up here in Mass stink for me to hunt.

16. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This, I have the vest and that is plenty warm. I bought the extra large battery for all day sits. Works great and the vest goes great with "normal" clothes too.

Fix, oldnotdead and slickbilly-d like this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I got my Sitka gear in, super comfortable and well made. I hated paying for it but damn does it feel like a perfectly made piece of clothing.

18. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I know, it’s amazing. I put it on for about 5 minutes and get too hot and take it off and put it back up about twice a week hahaha. I’m trying to figure out what I want next.

19. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I put the jacket on for about 3min and could feel the warmth. Now, I'm in an A/C office but I can't wait to see how the fanatic stuff works come winter. Had I not already had good base layers I buy up some of the other Sitka stuff. Who knows, I may end up getting some other stuf at some point.

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I needed new hunting clothes last wear, other stuff was getting pretty beat up, and bit the bullet and went with sitka. Went with some of the light weight stuff for early season with intentions of buying heavier stuff when temps dropped. Got the fanatic lite bibs and the equinox hoody. Worked really good early season but as got colder wasn't best. Pretty lightweight stuff but ended up getting the stratus vest and it was bout perfect. Only thing added wjen it got really cold was my Milwaukee heated hoody. Sat through a pretty good snow storm and never really got uncomfortably cold.

Stuff is definitely worth the price in my opinion. Wanna try and find some pants to wear this year only because I'm not a big fan of wearing bibs bit other than that think I'm pretty set for while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S.McArthur likes this.