Finishing up

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Sep 13, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While many of you are already hunting I'm still plugging along trying to finish up projects before the 1st. I'm way way behind. Today I took out the Otter Clothe I used to water proof my spring turkey blind(pic) to waterproof the two doghouse tower blinds I have. 3 yrds will just about cover them both so will cut then buy several large metal clips to fit and hold the "caps" in place camo Gorilla glue tape will hold sides to the blind walls from wind lift. Then checked the big tower blinds and need to do a few mouse repairs and cleaning.. One I counted 27 fresh piles of deer dung all around it.
    Then yep disced and drag yet more plots. Disc comes off this weekend, I need to wash and wax the tractor for winter.
    Anyone else putting on finishing touches?

IMG_20190416_120611.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So finished seeding that other plot section with millet filled bird seed that and some oats and sunflower. This is an experiment. Hell it certainly germinates great in my feeders after a rain. Then went down to put up that stand I repainted it's big and heavy but my system is to drive in rebar stakes tie off stand bottom then walk it up. Well it's rained nearly every day for a week half way up stand over my head one stake pulls out. WTH!!. It's a dang good thing I'm a tough old bird.... I stabilized then tried to seed the leg back down NOPE! looked to see the closest young tree and bushed then heaved the stand up and out away from me. The tree and bush broke it's fall completely and I walked away strained but unharmed....long stake tomorrow...if I'm still moving ...hhhmmmm

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm done plotting for the year.
    Took off the cultivator this a.m.
    Brassicas are incredible. Oats n rye not so much. 2 much rain I think?

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I checked the turnips again. Not growing bad getting hit very hard. Never this early but both the wood chucks and the deer...deer are now just piling in on our place. Bigger bucks are showing and the farmers have cut there beans shaved there clover and alfalfa and the corns next. When that goes I'll see the big boys if they are out there. Oct 1 is opener, but Oct 15 is go time. A few wooden stands to reinforce , waiting for clips to arrive that will hold down blind caps, that will waterproof them and mice repellent packs to install.
    I hope you have a fantastic season.

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just realized that archery season starts two weeks from today. Thanks for the reminders...don't have food plots as I hunt WMA lands. Good and safe hunting to all!
    OND, make sure the Gorilla tape is where you want it. Wife says it sticks the first time and sticks hard. Need to check out my ground blind and burlap blind.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Adding- are they expressing an opinion?

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'm an old hand at gorilla tape and their sealant is awesome as well. Fixed a couple of watering koi ponds and tubs.
    The blind sits back off the tree plot and has 6 mature red oak dropping behind it with black locust scatteded around. Deer love locust pods.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Old. Same to you!:bow:

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol.I need an intervention!. So I bought some rye redid the bird seed plot section,experiment. Some germination , not enough. Today the farmer came up and prepped the field next door for his grains, so I went out and dragged in a heavy rye planting . These two plots run right through the middle of our place and up to their field.L shaped.
    So now I'm discing one more small spot and planting rye there and maybe one failed clover plot.
    Cams are getting a ton of activity.

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Coming back and reading this I wonder out loud...WTH happened to my season?!!! Greed greed and karma happened. I let some really nice buck walk early and karma spanked me. Now you have to really know me to understand how true that statement really is. Today I checked cams and still have a few young buck that made it. So many new rubs around and some tracks that had me dumb founded the size of my not small hand. I'm hopeful for 2020. I took some pics of the late over seed of turnips I did in fall. Very very nice, lots of little bulbs even with deer feeding. So this will keep them happy well into Jan. Pics on phone so I'll post later.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Pics of the small turnip bulbs. They are hitting them hard now. Just a nice bite size snack for them.

20191230_144408.jpg 20191230_144312.jpg 20191230_144258.jpg