Fixed blade

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Crazyhunter, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Crazyhunter

Crazyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Who uses fixed blade broadheads and which one? How have they performed for you? I like the idea of a fixed blade for penetration and not having to worry.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

grommel likes this.
  2. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the NAP Thunderhead Nitro and absolutely love it. It sits really tight to the shaft and flys exactly like a field point. I shot my
    buck at 40 yards double long and he ran 10 yards and tipped over. I’ll keep using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to shoot a fixed again it would be a slick trick.

4. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I’ve heard these are some incredibly sharp broad heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katt72 likes this.
  5. OhioHunter72

OhioHunter72 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Slick trick can’t go wrong. I use magnum 100, fly like field points.

6. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Magnus black hornet. Or if your bow is tuned really well a 2 blade single bevel would be a good choice

7. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the ramcat original 100gr for 7-8 years now and will never switch to anything else as long as they’re made. My wife shoots the ramcat diamond back 100gr and the muzzy trocar. All three are top notch heads that fly perfect and penetrate deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slick trick mag or slick trick viper, can’t go wrong with either one.

9. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Slick Trick Magnums. Always get a pass thru which in my mind is the most important thing. I recently listened to a podcast with a blood tracker who has 10,000+ recoveries. He said the deer they don't find typically are ones that don't have a pass thru. He shoots a fixed blade and thats good enough for me.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Trick Magnums. Switched over to them a few years back and have been very happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Wac'ems

They are like a montec, razor sharp out of the box and I've never had to broadhead tune with them. They fly right with my field tips. They aren't the prettiest things out there, but I like not having to do any extra work to make them fly right.

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using regular old Muzzy 3 blades for years. I've always been able to tune to get them to hit with my field points. I stick with them because around here they are always available as are the replacement blades, others are hit and miss on availability. With internet ordering that isn't so much of an issue anymore and I've been thinking about trying something else, but then I think if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. At 70 lbs with 400 grain arrows I've always experienced a pass through on elk if the shoulder isn't hit. The arrows "ting" down through the trees behind them and sound like they still have some decent velocity to them. Distances I've shot them range from 15 yards being the closest and 38 yards being the farthest, other than one deer I couldn't resist shooting while elk hunting several years ago at 48 yards. It was a pass through as well. A couple elk quartering away the arrow stopped in the far side shoulder, still a decent blood trail and farthest went 80 yards. I find the blood trails to be plenty to read, even with a hit above mid body...just takes a bit longer distance for the blood to start showing up on the ground. Closest recovery was 18 yards, longest was 120...other than one that was really poorly hit. A bit misleading though, as bulls can normally be stopped after the shot while cows usually won't...all the farther recoveries have been cows. I'd say the average distance they run without stopping when hit through the lungs is about 80 yards.
    Do I think it's because of how great the Muzzy broadheads are? No...it is because it's tuned to fly well, the blades are kept razor sharp, and they hit where they are supposed to.
    I find that keeping the blades razor sharp is the best thing I can do for maximum damage and am OCD about keeping them sharp. I resharpen them twice and then pitch them and put in new replacement blades. My old quiver had foam that they slid into, but my new one doesn't have any foam they sit against and I find that they stay sharp longer.
    Years ago I watched a video where a guy took a bunch of 1/4" surgical tubing and stretched it across a board side by side to each other. They had slight tension on them and a hole was cut in the middle of the board. I think he also put some Pam cooking spray on them to make them a bit slick like an artery would be. He took an arrow with a broadhead that had rode around in his quiver for the entire season but hadn't been shot and pushed it through the surgical tubing. It only cut one of them and just pushed the others out of the way as it passed through them. Then he took a brand new broadhead and did the same thing after replacing the tubing. The new one cut every one of the tubes as it went through. This showed that dull blades may contact arteries but push them out of the way and not cut them if they're dull, while a nice sharp one will sever them if it contacts them. Very important when hemorrhaging is the sole way it kills. Also important that the cut is cleanly cut, as it will bleed for longer, vs. one that is torn/ragged and will clot or close up sooner.
    I think if you get any fixed blade that isn't cheaply made, tune it well so it flies with a field tip, have the bow tuned well so the arrow doesn't fish tail around, use an arrow of decent weight, and keep the blades razor sharp then you'll be good to go. Then it's just, as they say, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Longdraw and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  13. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Razor Sharp! Straight out the package!
    When I got started into the sport, I was using a mediocre brand. My first year hunting with a bow, I had slight quartering to shot on a nice doe @18yds. It was a pass thru shot. Upon investigating the shot, I missed the lungs. No bubbles in the blood from the arrow, deep dark red in color. After 2 1/2 hrs grid searching, very sparse bloodtrail from impact site, no signs to lead by. Point is, with a very sharp broadhead, in a not so perfect scenario could be the difference between success and failure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Benny_Bucks likes this.
  15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now the Fixed Blade Heads that I won and shoot are: Solids, Ironwill, Day Six Evo, Slick trick viper tricks and OZ cut Ultra 4.

16. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been using G5 Montecs in 100 grain for years! Never let me down, ever!

17. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot NAP Hellrazors broadheads. I like a broadhead I can sharpen myself.

18. Trenton Loewen

Trenton Loewen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for these! Have nothing bad to say about them. Can’t say they are better than others cuz I haven’t used many others, but I definitely recommend them!

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  19. Kris Henderson

Kris Henderson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor 125's, but looking to up the game again next year with some 2 blade single bevel heads in an even higher grain weight. Loving what HFOC has to offer and the evidence of excellent devastating properties the single bevel is showing is undeniable. Even in soft movable tissue. Steel Force 300 gr. single bevel looks VERY promising.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot a fixed blade it's the NAP Thunderhead Nitro. They are scary sharp, fly great and I've never not passed through an animal with them.