Serving question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Leewong82, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Bear Species last July. It’s set at 29in draw and 60lbs of draw weight. I’ve shot a little over a thousand arrows with it. I can see the colors from the strings showing through the serving. I can’t see anywhere that the string is rubbing. They are stock strings on the bow. I know it’s a entry level bow but I would think the strings would last a little longer then that. The strings aren’t frayed. Would I be able to redo the serving or would I need to buy new set of strings.

2. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I forgot to load the pictures of the string

Attached Files:

3. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you can reserve. Just need a jig and 300 pounds tension. Also dont forget to serve in the direction of twists.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would I be able to make a jig and put the string under 300 lbs of tension. If so are there any post on how to make the jig. Also how would I know when it’s under 300lbs on tension.

5. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Patches thanks for your reply. I’m hoping I can get this fixed. Is it normal for the serving to do something like this.

patches2565 likes this.
  6. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    Well if the serving isnt that tight or if it's a material prone to separation then yes it common. I personally would ask for powergrip serving. I use that type on my strings I make and it holding this far. Good luck.

I suppose you could probably come up with some kind of jig. I had one built but only for checking length.

7. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. Was the string kept waxed? Just curious. I have a Bear Whitetail that is over 45 years old. The plastic on the cable cracked from old age. Had the string and cable replaced. Kept the string waxed but decided to replace both at the same time.

9. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Always kept waxed. I clean the old wax off and rewax the string and cable.

10. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious. Why do you clean the old wax off? Does it not just eventually get less and less then you apply more? Also how are you doing that? Are you taking the threads off and essentially burnishing the string? Like I said just curious.

I personally spend a good amount of time waxing and every now and again will re wax. I do it more in the summer months versus the winter

11. Leewong82

Leewong82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just use a scrap piece of serving and run it up and down the string and cable. I usually do that after shooting all summer because it get used so much I’m always rewaxing. By the time the snow hits here and I’m joking indoors to shoot the strings look black so I clean them off and rewax again. Then summer hits and I clean and rewax. I don’t put a lot of pressure just enough to clean the strings. I don’t go over the serving on the string or cable just the strings themselves. My string and cable look good. Is just the serving on the cable that makes contact with the cam that is wearing out. I’ve never had the strings off the bow.

patches2565 likes this.