Suggestions on a scope

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by pastorjim08, Aug 16, 2018.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting my new crossbow this week and I think I'm not too happy with the scope. It's a Hawk XB1 and I just don't like how close the horizontal lines are. I'm also not sure if I'd like an illuminated reticle better. I also don't like the fact that you are stuck at a single power with the scope since it is speed compensated. Any suggestions from you evil satanic crossbow users would be helpful.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Brandon backwoods and chieffan like this.
  2. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the multi line/distance single power scope on my crossbow and love it. Why would you want to change the power setting when you shots are going to be out to around the 35 yd mark? Use field glasses for scouting.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure that you can find a vari power scope with speed compensation-not that I have looked all that hard. My Excalibur has a tact zone scope. This is what the reticle looks like. It has an adjustable rheostat that comes in green and red. tact-zone-reticle-green-chev.jpg

SsgBowhunter likes this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From my research I have come up with two possibilities. Either a Parker Red Hot Pinpoint or mating my Hawke scope with an HHA Optimizer, the latter being a pretty expensive proposition. I'm not going to change this late in the game but after the season is over I will be looking in earnest. Thanks for y'alls suggestions.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

5. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I was wrong about the vari power. Excalibur as a 3-6x44. Twilight DLX with the same reticle as the tact zone.

6. SsgBowhunter

SsgBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I put the same one picman has on my new pse Invictus and love it! Like chief said, if you are at crossbow distance it shouldn't matter. If you want a closer look use your binos. I would personally rather know that my shot will hit exactly where my reticle says it will. Confidence is a mighty big feather in your cap!

7. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HHA on my PSE Fang and the old redhead scope from my muzzleloader. It is a single reticle scope so it works as a perfect setup for me. once you get the right sight-tape, its dead on out to 80 yards. It was well worth the investment for me as I have one on my Monster. I prefer a single pin/reticle.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It that an HHA scope or a single pin adjustable sight for a cross bow? I don’t like the scope that game on my Fang either. Thinking about an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is the Optimizer Speed Dial w/a single crosshair scope mounted on it. Yes, the scope that came with is junk

10. Kevin Mulder

Kevin Mulder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Leupold VX-2 3x9x40 rifle scope on my crossbow and I love it! It is SO much better in low-light conditions than any crossbow scope I have used. I sight it in dead on at 30 yards. At 20 yds I know I have to aim a bit low. At 40 yards, I have to aim about 6 inches high. Most deer I have shot have been right around 30 yds. I will NEVER go back to a crappy crossbow scope.

11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to find a crossbow scope worth a damn !!!!! get a dec3ent rifle scope in either 4 power or a low power variable with thick crosshairs de clining to a fine cross, you will be much happier. I am currently using a dusk to dawn bushnell and absolutely love it plus around $60.00

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a zero magnification 3 dot scope on my crossbow.

I shoot with both eyes open just like with the sight on my compound bow.

I couldn't make a "rifle type" scope work for me.

Sent from my 5059S using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. Brandon backwoods

Brandon backwoods Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It really all depends on your crossbow i shot and ownd 200+ scopes on crossbows i have had everything to recurves to well you name it in a crossbow anything around 240fps a big 4x32 reticle with the Lines something like a Horton or Sa sport or Utg crossbow scope or a 3x9x40 ..A 320 fps bow you need a 3x9x42 Thats what the Factory recommends on bows of that power and you should be Able to get one even the Trusty 3x9x40 will work anything beyond those Are good for close to Med range depends on your Bow but there is Absolutely no point in Spending alot on a Crossbow optic Amazon got ya coverd Take it from a guy that has Literally ownd and shot A lot...its my passion

Rebel

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you just claim that the faster the xbow the bigger scope objective lens you need? Lol awesome

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well crap, now my B.S. meter is broken. I've been through at least 200 now.

16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_20191001-213603.jpeg