What is Onx/huntstand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Sep 8, 2019.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could someone explain to this old man what onx/hunstand is and what it does. Now don't you younguns make fun of me cause when you get old there will be some new technology out there that you'll have to ask your grand kids to explain too you.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like another hunting gps app, with added property boundries and the legal name of owner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does it work in Iowa?:biggrin:

arrowflinger1, cantexian and bowhtr1 like this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are 2 different apps. Huntstand gives you sattelite and/or topographical maps and allows you to set marking points for scouting sign, stand locations and such. Has a realtime weather upload(as long as a signal is had) and can show you wherr scent is blowing.

OnX Hunt gives you multiple aerial views as well as matking points and tracking capabilities. Don't thinknit does the weather part but I like it because it has property lines and who owns it. It is a subscription, can do individual states or entire US. Click on each property and it tells you acreage, secondary owner and such.

Screenshot_20190908-171937_onX Hunt.jpg

78littlered likes this.
  5. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That would be nice when looking for land to lease or hunting a new property where you don't know where the lines are.

6. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Huntstand gives you property owner names(10 free each month). It’s a good tool for knowing property lines and owner inquiries.
    There is a lot more you can do with it such as plot out deer sign, food source, stand locations, sightings,etc.. I just use it for property info and look at the wind graph for days I’m in the stand. For free it’s good to have.

cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  7. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Onx is very useful for hunting public land. If you just hunt your own land and dont venture off much then there probably not much use in it.

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always wonder how they find the boundary lines. Here you register your offical survey to the county. A whole lot of people years ago sold farm land on a hand shake and discription, registering it to the town for taxes. On all our properties we payed for title searches and surveys. Our tax map is different than our actual property lines. For instance the tax map shows one frontage 396 ft. But our title search and survey shows 411.

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can look online at the GIS thing and see boundary lines and property owner names. I wonder if it's pretty much the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

virginiashadow likes this.
  10. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At one point all private and public property has been surveyed, which is public record. Just because land was sold on a handshake doesn't make it legally binding

11. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, it is very similar to the GIS system but you dont have to find new maps for every county! You can also use it to see where you have walked (while grid searching) mark stands, it has topo maps and a bunch of other features. I used to try to get the GIS for different areas I hunt to try to get permission, now i have it all on ONX!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That was my point. That is why one should ALWAYS have a title search and a survey. Though no, not all properties have had surveys. Prime example big farms that sell or gift pieces of farm land to family members.then sell pieces to non members. We own on one such property we have a survey based on a legally written up boundary description with a title search and title insurance. Also officially registered in the county. Next to a son that got his land no survey. His brother once said to me well they don't even know where their line is now.(after their parents passed). I said well he can just go to the county and look up our legal and registered survey to know. Not another word about it.
    So again where are they getting their info? The county maps or town maps. Towns don't always update their maps. We have bought and sold many properties . We've had to hire extra surveys because of loggers using GPS to determine lines. Not a big deal to us because of being in construction, cost isn't what others pay. Every time they had to come back and un mark timber. We now pay to have lines marked by surveyors the entire line, not just the corners. Which is great when fencing, string line from metal pin to pin fence back from that.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most any modern county has an interactive GIS program that the public can use free of cost.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not really. Maybe out east, but not here in the midwest.

15. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have the GIS maps here in MI at least for my county. It’s good info. I like onX since it uses GPS location so you know when your are getting close to the property line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt massive parcels of public land that have many sections of private in between.

I use OnX hunt maps religiously.

You can mark ponds, wallows, locations you’ve shot or found deer, gates, etc... it will also track your route, so if you want to find a location you visited 2-3+ years ago it will show you exactly how you got in.

You can also use the satellite view to try and locate land marks, ponds, etc...

17. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked as a surveyor once. there are laws for situations where lines are not clear.

If public record shows that your property line is in one place and you claim it to be half a mile further. You have to have a GPS survey done by a licensed surveyor and submit it to the county, state, city, etc... as proof.

You would not believe how many fences we had to jump because folks didn’t know where their property lines were and just built where they wanted. Lots of fences and even structures moved or demolished to fix it.

Citizens are protected though. If you’re hunting and public record shows you’re on public land. Then the one claiming to own said property must produce a deed and have it surveyed for accuracy.

Proof of ownership is a big deal. Hence why we give deeds, titles, receipts, etc...

oldnotdead and Between2Bluffs like this.
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    We had a situation at camp. FIL's family had at one time owned half the valley. Sold off many parcels and FIL bought a small section and house from an uncle . It is two houses on one drive so a shared drive agreement was written. Well he sold the other house and a few acres to some guy. Things were OK for a while until we came to camp to find a fence on our place. FIL tried to be reasonable. Gave the guy fair warning then took him to court. Camp got surveyed 2x by the time it all ended but he won. The guy was ordered to pay all survey, court and legal fees. The 10 ft by 1200ft claim cost him thousands of dollars and he had to take the fence down....
    How stupid no one is ever there except during gun season. He literally had the run of the place without our knowledge, yet greed stuck him.
    Gps is only as good as information it's taken from. When it first came on phones we had a neighbor giddy running around painting trees white. Until we showed him the buried pins. Apparently he thought pulling pipe markers would go unnoticed. Back up pins that can't be seen but found with metal detectors saves headaches.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    NMGuy likes this.
  19. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use them both and prefer hunt stand. I can track my gps on a map which can come in handy if you get turned around or want to save a trail on a phone to tracking a deer. I also like that it shows me public land parcels and I can see in real time my position on the map and can go checkout something I may have marked or have a long hike in. Its also free and gives you the current wind which is very handy before heading on to an area if you have multiple properties not near each other.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  20. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been on a computer to look at the GIS your talking about but is there an app for you phone? Having the ease of an app out n the field in case of tracking is worth it. I don’t think it’s a must have but once you get to using them they are nice to have.