Canon G60 or DSLR

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Creeks, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Canon, Sony, etc.... Help??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What will your primary use be? I use both. I actually just purchased a mirrorless Sony A6500. The mirrorless cameras are better in low light than the DSLRs, and much lighter to carry in the field.

3. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's the other camera I was kinda interested in is the Sony.. Does it do as good as the full size cameras.. Say like the Canon G40, G50, G60... What lens gets it all done with the Sony.. I'll be using it just for Deer and Turkey hunting...

4. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been reading some reviews and people keep talking that the sony has bad Shutter Roll Effect....??? what is that??

5. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rolling Shutter. They are talking about when you pan side to side and how it will make vertical lines "bend". Think of panning across a picket fence ... the fence slats would look bent while the camera pans across. People blow it out of proportion though. People used to cry about the Canon video cameras doing it as well. I've been filming for over 10 years and never had an instance where it destroyed what I was doing.

The Sony mirrorless system is great, arguably better than DSLR in my opinion and better than video cameras. BUT ... it will cost you a lot more money and be more difficult to master than a video camera. There is no one lens does all solution. I roll into the woods with 3 lenses and swap out as I need to, though my 18-105 f/4 does the bulk of the work. I have been personally running an A6500 for two full years and love it. I have various other Sony's as well, including an A6000. I am likely going to buy a Sony full frame after the next release of their newest cameras in a few days. Lenses is where you will get killed with Sony. There are no inexpensive options, even in 3rd party brands. You really have to love doing this to make the financial leap into a Sony setup. I question my sanity every day, but then I see the images and understand that it is all worth it for me.

Creeks likes this.
  7. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks very much for the detailed answer....Very much appreciated!

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sony just announced a A6600, that with a 18-105 lens should get me up and running....If I go that route.

WiscoBowHunter likes this.
  9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The A6600 is new, for sure. Honestly though, you are kind of over paying. It is simply an A6400 with IBS. The IBS is over rated and really only works for photos. Stabilized lenses do more than IBS. Other than that, it adds a headphone jack, which as much as filmers like to hype about that, in 10+ years working in this industry producing content for myself and real hunting TV shows and companys ... I have NEVER ... not one time ... used or needed a headphone out jack. I am sure I will get beat up for that, but I just don't view it as important. So if you want the best AF system and a flippy screen is imporant to you, save some money and buy the A6400. There are a few other improvements that the A6600/A6400 have over an A6500, like improved color science, larger battery, and a few other small things. But really buying an A6500 is still a great option. You really cannot go wrong with any of them. It all comes down to how much money that you want to spend. The real money is in lenses.

The 18-105 f/4 is a nice power zoom all around lens. I will warn you though, it is netoriously soft in focus. That isn't as big of a problem in video, but I almost never use the lens for photos anymore. For photos I stick with my primes in 99% of the cases, unless I just happen to have the zoom lens on and need a quick photo.

10. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to do photography.. I had my own business doing sports etc... I hate a Soft lens, and yes primes are the way to go on portraits etc... But Video, I'm not sure yet.. What other lens beside the 18-104 f4 lens is good.. Do you have any videos I could watch using the 6400/6500?
    I shot with a Canon Mark IV when I was doing photography...
    Are you serious in saying the soft lens doesn't effect video quality.. Meaning videos are sharp and clear.. No unfocused subjects.. Etc..
    Thanks

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Soft in video isn't as bad if you typically produce in 24 fps. There is enough motion blur that it won't matter much.

Many videos produced on my channel in my signature.

This video was primarily shot on the A6500 and 18-105 combination.

12. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killer Video, and clear as a bell.. It all looked great to me.. Is that the best camera to go with a6500... Thanks

13. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also what about the 18-135 lens...it not very good??

14. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "best" is relative.

I personally like it. Not sure if I would spring for the A6600 knowing what I know. Yes there are marginal improvements but I don't know that they are worth the money. I want 4k @ 60 fps right now and Sony is letting me down.

You won't go wrong with an A6400, A6500, or A6600.

Creeks likes this.
  15. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 18-135 is a variable apperature lens. So on the full zoom it is going to fall apart in low light. The 18-105 is a f/4 through the entire zoom and is a power zoom lens. It is a better lens, all things being equal.

Creeks likes this.
  16. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sent you a private message on a couple more cameras....Your thoughts?? Thanks