DIY rangefinder experiment

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by HardLuckLarry, Sep 5, 2019.

1. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night, I made a cardboard prototype of a rangefinder based on metal rangefinders from the Civil War. Doing so was quite helpful in determining what cutout pieces are required and what other things need to be considered when making one. I plan on making a more permanent version from thin wood and sighting it in at the range. Then, we'll see how practical it is in the field. I will keep ya'll posted on this if you are interested.

This video inspired my efforts:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty interesting!

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. Where did you find the info for the rangefinder?

4. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the video I provided for more information. There are a few other youtube videos that talk about this type of device (a.k.a. Stadia), but I thought this guy's video explained the idea quite well.

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, but why not just use the technology that is available and use a digital range finder?

Rmc likes this.
  6. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    Because it's fun to experiment with old-fashioned tools and methods that almost nobody ever tries anymore.

oldnotdead and Suncrest08 like this.
  7. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    interesting
    [​IMG]

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like that! Smart back up if your range finder fails. In bow at close range I can range a deer naturally. Takes training but I also do not use sights, neither on my bow or shot gun. The cross bow and rifles have them, longer distance I like the finder with my scopes.

9. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    I can estimate very well without a distance aid at 20 yards and under. Not as well between that and 40 yards. I do not think it would be ethical to shoot my compound bow any more than 40 yards and I am reluctant to shoot any more than 30 (my traditional bows, 20 yards) . I'd rather have the deer get away.

oldnotdead likes this.
  10. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my messy, uneven, lame prototype Stadia, made with thin cardboard, glue and a box knife. The dimensions are 5 1/2 inches long and 3 inches wide with the sliding bar, and 2 1/4 inches wide with the device itself. By creating this prototype, I've discovered that:
    1) it needs to be a bit longer and wider so that it can be more easily held and used
    2) the sliding bar needs to fit the device perfectly, as having it a bit loose make the bar go crooked when moved
    3) the marks indicating distance will have to be seen once the sliding bar is at the right place
    4) the string I will be attaching to it will need to match my draw length precisely

The wooden one I'm planning to pattern after this one will be MUCH nicer, with pieces cut to exact specifications. One difficulty I will have to overcome is moving the middle sliding bar up and down with only one hand, but I think this will be easier with wood compared to cardboard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019