Shooting Tabs Vs Glove Release

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Jeffrey Jones, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today I think I made a good choice by experimenting with my first tab style release I'm noticing more accuracy if I execute a good shot out of my recurve. I got 3 for 3 bullseye today from 20-25 yds my affective range and to my surprise the tab is just working better for me then my glove. I shoot instinctive and use split finger. Anyone else shoot a finger tab and experienced the difference when you switched?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never used a release on stickbows , always have used a tab, I'm not one to change what works for me. Hope it works out for you.

Jeffrey Jones likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well let me rephrase it then I shoot fingers with a glove and just tried a tab today and it's working for me Maybe I'm getting in deeper on my anchor with it and when I do I can tell it's a cleaner release then the glove at least from what I can tell so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While hunting I prefer a glove. I seemed to get the tab twisted in the heat of the moment. When bowfishing I shoot my recurve with a release because my fingers get wet.

Jeffrey Jones likes this.
  5. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another option is the shooting glove with the individual finger stalls. I used to shoot a compound with those before the releases showed up.

kennyg and Jeffrey Jones like this.
  6. Fiddler

Fiddler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a plain, cheap leather tab with a felt spacer. I suppose calf hair is slicker, and years ago I tried them, but I never saw much of an advantage to them and they wear out pretty quick.
    If you watch the super-duper amazing trick shooters on YouTube, they all wear gloves. Must be something to it!
    I suppose I've stuck with tabs all these years because, for one thing, I'm used to them. And for another, I can flip the tab backward around my middle finger and leave it there while I do other things with that hand. When I want to shoot again, I just flip it back.

7. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the top Olympic shooters........ tabs.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use deer/bear fur tabs, always have and plan to continue doing so. I've thought about switching to a release but every time I see all the velcro, internal springs, triggers, and how light the trigger pull is it all just turns me off.

StickbowJo likes this.
  9. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never could stand tabs. Esp as im experimenting with blind nocking, to me they’re cumbersome, esp with a back quiver. But that’s just me. I like the 3 finger glove :bow:

10. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Older thread, but will add an answer:

Olympic recurve: I shoot a tab

Takedown recurve: use a shooting glove

Why? Personal preference. To me, the tab seems to get in the way for traditional/instinctive shooting as well as general movement. A shooting glove seems closer to bare fingers, so I can do things with the glove on and not lose as much dexterity as with a tab.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kodiak bear I always shot tab. I still have that last tab in storage in case I decide to shoot recurve one more time before I can't. I tried a glove,still have that to. But never felt right.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    DarkTater likes this.
  12. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started with a tab about 60 years ago. Went to a glove with a Bear recurve about 40 years ago. Got used to the glove with my first compound. Went to a release wit another compound bow. Still use the glove with the NASP Genesis bow.
    ond, wish I had my old Bear Kodiak!

oldnotdead likes this.
  13. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both a tab and 3 finger glove for my recurve. I haven't decided yet which I prefer.
    I use a release with my compound bow.

DeepSouth54 likes this.
  14. Kris Henderson

Kris Henderson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have a Bearpaw glove and seems to work fine, but realized that it's really squeaky when I draw back. Pulled out the cheap tab last night that I picked up when I first got my recurve three years ago. Much quieter with minimal squeak. Don't know if it'll play to my advantage, but I feel a lot more feedback on my string as compared to the glove when I draw and release. Thinner leather obviously, but my goal was achieved, less noise and at least as equal accuracy.

15. RedBeardNP

RedBeardNP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot recurve I noticed the same thing. Immediate improvement when I went to a tab

16. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a tab from three rivers. I just make sure I have a spare with me when I hunt because I know it would be easy to drop out of the stand

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums