Looking for help! Land question?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mtraider27, Aug 27, 2019.

1. mtraider27

mtraider27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been lurking and reading for a few years now. I am a new bowhunter (4) years and relatively a new to hunting after a 20yr break. I have caught the bug and am hooked. I have a piece of property right around 50 acres, it has a pond, bean fields and some hardwoods. After taking some inventory there is a pretty nice bachelor group coming in to feed on the corn with 3 I would consider shooters. My question is where do y'all think would be the best place for a ladder stand and also where would you try to use a climber to have a chance at these deer. In the image I attached it is marked with where I have the cameras and also where I already have a ladder stand. The blue mark is where I am getting the good pictures of the bachelor group and was thinking of putting the other ladder stand in that corner. I am looking for opinions as I have stated I am new and looking for knowledge. I hunt in south central VA, any information would be great, let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Land.jpg
      Land.jpg
      File size:
      319.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Which way is the predominant wind coming from?
    Is north up?
    Can you edit your post to have the picture be full size?
    Are the woods flat? like any terrain features?
    can you post a topo map?

I'm not too familiar with hunting farmland, mostly woods, but will do my best to help!

3. mtraider27

mtraider27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully a better picture. I am not totally sure about the prevailing winds I say maybe a north wind blowing south? Not much on the topo pretty flat 5-10 ft of elevation change maybe.

Attached Files:

4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
  5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm,,, The problem I see is access.
    If it is a North wind, the bucks are bedded looking into the field, seeing anything in front of them, and smelling anything behind them.
    I can't offer any solid advice, but I'm sure some more experienced farm hunters will chime in here in a few!

6. WhiteBoy95

WhiteBoy95 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would set up a more permanent stand (hang-on or ladder type) inside the hardwood line of one of the fields, facing downwind of a bedding area or well defined trail. The funnel on the North side of the pond would be a good area that deer might use to get from one field to another. If I were to pack in with a climber, I would try to get set up on a trail or crossing on the creek that runs through the woods, to the pond. I have seen lots of deer tracks in and around small creek banks that I hunt. You can usually find where the ground turns from very soft to somewhat stable, which creates a bridge for deer to cross with the least resistance possible. Biggest thing would definitely be the wind direction. I like to use windfinder.com to see historical and live data on wind direction and movement for the places I hunt.

Hope it works out and you are able to ventilate one this year!

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it looks you are going to have to hunt that piece with an off wind. Meaning the wind will be in the deers favor the mojarity of the time. You will have to hunt it with like a NW or NE wind.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  8. mtraider27

mtraider27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any last min help would be greatly appreciated. Its gonna drop from 95 high Thurs/Fri to 50 Sat morning at 6 am with a high of 70. Looks like a N to NE wind at 5mph. The big boys have been coming out around the blue dot into the field in early am I have a tree cleared about 70 yds to the south of the corner with a few lanes cleared into the hardwoods its very thick though. Planning on climbing should I face into the hardwoods or field? If they show in the corner should I try to grunt to get him in closer if they are not working my way. Any type of info would be great and if I can bag one I defiantly post a picture.

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Learned a bit here. Can't help with your setup but I am up for adoption.

10. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a guess but is this kind of how the deer use that area

Attached Files:

11. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Their destination early morning is usually water after eating and running all night.. from what I’ve found anyways. Every property is different. Hard to say without stepping foot on it.

12. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    You should hang an observation stand a couple hundred yards from where your getting pictures and watch the spot for an evening and then see how the deer use that field and how they react to things in that area before you move in.

13. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I have a haybale blind set up 400 yards from my best spot and I watch bachelor groups from it most of the summer

14. mtraider27

mtraider27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your help