Cellular trail cameras with antennas v/s no antenna

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Aug 23, 2019.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just trying to get some input from some fellow hunters. I recently purchased one of the new Moultrie XA-7000i cellular trail cameras. Long story short i returned it for a refund because I couldn’t get enough modem signal strength to send pics to my phone. I have noticed some cell cams have antennas and some don’t. I am trying to find out if the antennas make that much of a difference compared to ones without as far as increasing the strength of the signal. What’s weird is I went with the AT&T version camera and I have both AT&T and Verizon cell phones and both had LTE service where I had the camera put out so I can’t quite figure out why I didn’t have enough modem service to send pics. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me!

2. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Spypoint for $116 on eBay new. No subscription to your cell service needed. You can actually get 100 pics a month for free or pay for a few services , the best being $10 a month for unlimited pics.

It doesn’t use your cell provider. It’s a cloud based app that the cam sends a pic to which then the app is linked to your text messages, then notifies you a pic came. You tap on the notation that links to the app opening up and showing you the trail cam pic.

Very impressed so far for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  3. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Outstanding thread Thank you. I was just looking at these this weekend.

JHasty likes this.
  4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    is it legal to use this while hunting, ie
    place on a trail that leads toward your stand and be checking for pictures while hunting

JHasty likes this.
  5. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    mikey custom-g which Spypoint camera did you purchase if you don't mind me asking

mikey custom-g likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You might check your state laws. Sorry but can't help any more than that.

JHasty likes this.
  7. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Spypoint Micro Link.

No additional cell service charge. You download the app to your smart phone or tablet. Your pictures via the cam antenna is sent like a text message to your phone and is downloaded onto the app via a “link.

You get unlimited pics for the first 30 days. After which, you get 100 free a month with no fee.

If you want more pics, they have packages. Best one being unlimited pics for $10 a month. Nothing to do with your cell carrier. It’s to use their cloud which links to the app. Almost like using Facebook. You get a notification, open it and it links you to the notification and it’s content.

JHasty likes this.
  8. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll try to post a couple pics I just got as I was answering this post.

I’m watching the Yankees play Seattle and watching my stands pigs coming in.

[​IMG]

Earlier this evening.
    [​IMG]

Plus are very clear. I don’t have the cam positioned fully under my feeder. I wanted to view traffic patterns more than looking for numbers of critters. Seems they are coming in from the south which is an EZ kill with summer Southeast Trade winds being dominant.

JHasty likes this.
  9. Bowhunterlink

Bowhunterlink Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought a 155acre tract in KY. Can’t wait to purchase some cell cameras to put out, now that I don’t have to worry about them getting stolen. Great thread. I’ll look into these

JHasty likes this.