strings and cables

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ks.hunter, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have a bad problem with peep rotation on my string. My question is. Do you always change the cables at the same time as the string?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I might be wrong but I have to ask... You aren't changing your string just because you have a peep rotation issue right?

3. Ks.hunter

Dislikes Received:
    no, its cause of string stretch and has had several twists put in it already

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always do cables at the same time as string.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you're replacing due to age or wear & tear on whole set then yes, you'll want to replace the cables at the same time as the string. The only time I would swap just the string is if was damaged somehow such as nicked with a broadhead or a knife.

6. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I replace them all.

I think you’ll find string material and string maker pre-stretch set up the key.

I used a combo 452x and 8125 for maybe 20 years ?

Me thinks after a recent set I put on a Nitrum I set up to hunt with this summer while I broke down my Hoyt Carbon, was made of Fury. The peep hasn’t moved a millimeter.

After redoing my Carbon bow, ofcourse I’d put my old standby 452x and 8125 right ? I did. The peep is fine, but it does move after the shot, unlike the Nitrum.

I’m going Brownell next time. BCY is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had both replaced at the same time.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your string is stretching due to shoddy building your cables are mostly the product of the same shady workmanship.
    Good reason to change everything at one time.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  9. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:
    Let’s take a look @ what you’re saying.

What “ shoddy workmanship “ would cause string stretch ?

Could it be end serving? Prolly not, if the ends are done like junk, they undo or minimum separate.

Could it be string length cuts ? I’d say yes to a degree. Wrong lengths causes more twists to bring bow into spec. Too many twists, or even not enough string twist causes instability in the string, especially when brand new.

How about string materials. Well no one string maker that I know of has a “unique” string material. They all use the same materials, so they all start @ the same place.

Then we come to “set up process”. Namely what each maker uses to “pre-stretch” their string materials. This area here, appears to be the widest varying difference from string maker to string maker.

I do believe you find your “shoddy” workmanship begins exactly right here. So if you think like I think,you inquire how the common to every makers string materials are “pre-stretched” and under how many pounds of pressure and the process used to do this. This area is greatly varying maker to maker.

Just for an example, PSE has just installed a newer system to pre-stretch their factory strings. According to people I know shooting them, they are not moving, period. So you’re getting “custom string” quality on factory strings. Just as an example. You’re getting straight up better “quality “ from the onset.

Craftsmanship is where I put “ends” twisting. I like super tight twisted ends. I want zero separation after 1,000 shots. Twisted-X, HogWire and Viscosity are 3 custom makers that imho have the tightest ends in the biz. I’m sure there’s more, just giving examples. Ends are imho “craftsmanship” and very important.

So do yourself a favor and ask your string maker some quality set up questions to a very good response as to why “shoddy” workmanship comes into play. It’s not the materials,there are only so many choices.

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    If a set is laid up and stretched correctly for the appropriate time and corect amount of tenison they arent moving.
    It's not magic it's just takes doing it correctly. Material is material no body can make it into something it isnt.
    The only way to build it is correctly.

The PSE Evoke I bought has good set on it from the factory. It hasnt moved at all. Hoenstly I cant changing them because the look and are built as good I seen most anyplace.
    Now the shim job they did is a different story..

mikey custom-g likes this.
  11. mikey custom-g

Dislikes Received:

Exactly!!! Regardless of material, 452x which has the reputation of no stretch, 8125 which has a reputation to stretch but give better speed, and Brownells materials such as my new fav Fury, if you don’t put enough poundage of pressure pre stretching and for a long enough time, I don’t care how pretty in craftsmanship you are twisting ends, you’re getting stretch, and peep rotation.

Everyone up your way is shooting PSE and everyone is tell me, an old PSE lover, their bows are awesome again. My brother dropped Hoyt and went PSE as did all his crew he shoots with.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Mike the Evolve cam is the best cam in bow history.
    You might find smoother, maybe. You can find faster. Howver you will he hard pressed to find anything this smooth that is this fast.
    Add to it a rotating mod that feels super through then entire range, add to it adjustable let off with minimal change in valley size. This thing is a work of art. I havent owned a PSE in years so I am no fanboy by any stretch.
    The Evolve cam is the best cam produced to date

13. Ks.hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I emailed zebra strings about the stretch and peep rotation on these strings. They are on a 2019 Vertix. They told me that I should not be having the issues I am having on these being less then a year old. I went to the bow shop and the guy there told me that they have had a lot of people come in with problems on strings this year. They are building me a set of strings and cables. thanks for the replys

14. BaronJennings

BaronJennings Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I also have a 2019 Vertix. I purchased it on Aug 20th. I have well over 1k arrows through it (minimum of 50 per day religiously) I have started noticing my peep twisting in the past few days. How many shots should I be able to put on my factory Zebra before it stretches enough for string twist?

I took it to the bow shop yesterday. They told it me the twist was due to nocking the arrow and then swinging it onto the rest, instead of nocking the arrow in line. So, I took it home, and today I'm still getting the twist even when I nock the arrow as suggested. I can twist the peep a little before the shot, and it will stay in line for 2 or 3 and then revert to about a 30 degree twist.

Any suggestions?

15. Ks.hunter

Dislikes Received:
    this is an old post but since you asked I will tell you. I took mine to a good shop where I had purchased it from. He told me that it was the 3rd set of zebra strings he had looked at that day alone. He said I could get another string under warranty but I choose to have him build me a set of strings and cables. They are a lot better. Have them on there now for a year and no issues.