Bowhunting Exotics: Would You Do It?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good article, very accurate. I grew up in Texas and I've hunted on ranches. Not all are created equal. They offer management hunts to thin out the less desirables and females, which are great for the kids to get cool opportunities to hone their skills. And filling the freezer with venison is always a good thing. Theres nothing like harvesting a fair chase animal with your bow, but ranches are great for a change of pace.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 0 desire to go on some ranch hunt or guided hunt for exotic animals. Just me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same! Whitetails are the only animal I want to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me personally living in Tx view this article a little differently. Like Cannon mentioned above, not all ranches are created equally. It all depends on how much money you want to shell out. The more money, the higher or probability of killing something. There are "guided Hunt's" and DIY hunts on most ranches, just do your research before hand. I've had plenty of buddies go to bow only ranches and did not harvest an animal. You still have to execute your shot, scent control still plays a factor, and just because you're hunting over a feeder doesn't make it guaranteed either. The more mature deer/animals go nocturnal and will rarely be seen at a feeder during daylight hours. I wouldn't knock it.... plus it allows you to harvest an animal and break up the monotony of the summer lull.

*fyi, axis deer is some of the best game meat you can eat*

moosebee and Russ morton like this.
  6. Racks&Ridges

Racks&Ridges Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd consider it

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to high on my list of things to do but I've pissed away money on worse things I'm sure.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was skeptical when I first started reading, then that was affirmed when the author called out the brand and model of the broad head. So predictable, and exactly what turns me off from magazines and shows. You see yourself as influencers and honestly it has the opposite effect.

virginiashadow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I won a hunt I would do it. other than that I am not paying those prices.

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Texas a couple of times. One ranch wanted us to hunt our turkeys over bait because the gobblers were really henned up at the time and not very receptive to calls. They could not understand why I was so stubborn and unwilling to sit on a road over corn. I left three days early without a bird. I also sat over a feeder for deer and chose to simply watch them come and go. I could not make myself shoot something that was coming to a feeder, exotic or not. Hunting in Texas was not what I had hoped it to be. To each their own, but after growing up hunting fair chase, the idea of killing animals over a timed feeder, just did not appear to be hunting. If I could do spot and stalk on a ranch that did not run feeders, I would likely have a different experience and opinion.

HardLuckLarry and Swamp Stalker like this.
  11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on going to South Africa to hunt kudu in the next 3 years. One of my Bucket List hunts.

12. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I lived in TX. No real opinion. Ranch is a loaded word, and most have no idea what a Texas ranch looks like. So, they picture 300 acres and say a ranch is not fair chase. A Texas ranch is more like 1000 to 10,000 acres. Average acreage is 524 in Texas. Unless you have a hunter per 100 acres, hunting on the same day, that is pretty fair.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the information an the article, except for what Sota mentioned. Really? You heard the blades of your broadhead open? Com'on man.

It does give a better perspective on high fence hunting for people who have pre-conceived notions of it like me. 7,000 acres is a lot of land. Fair chase by definition, maybe not but the word "chase" certainly seems appropriate. Cost is a big factor but if you weigh it against harvesting these animals in their native habitat, it's probably pretty darn cheap. Will I ever go, who knows, but I do think this is a great alternative rather than traveling to Africa.

14. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this article did reaffirm why I don't shoot Rage, too noisy :-)

On a serious note. If the area was large enough I wouldn’t have a problem as long as the animals are wild and the hunt is conducted in a sporting manner. My favorite sport is still hunting / spot and stalk where I’m pursuing the game in their environment, but also enjoy deer hunts over food plots and hog hunts with corn feeders. So under the right circumstances am fine with all of it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  15. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with fletch! I have yet to get my first deer, but the reason why I try is for the challenge of hunting them and for the respect I have for these amazing animals. I'd rather go home empty-handed than shoot anything over a man-made feeder or man-made food plot. At the same time, I don't look down on anyone that does do so, as long as what they are doing is ethical and legal. It's just not my style.

16. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If Fair Hunt and I could afford the hunt, yes.

17. Killin tree

Killin tree Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No. Its for rich people who cant hunt