The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you were so honored I was almost sorry to remove the "dislike"
    By the way, the open tabs on my laptop match 11 of your 27.

you are correct sir. Fat fingers McGee here.

Sota dislikes this.
  2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A neighbor moved into his parents house after they both passed away, him and his wife decided they wanted to remodel so they started gutting it out. Was just a normal one story ranch home. Before it was all daid and done then ended up tearing the whole house off foundation and starting from scratch. Can't remember now but it was like foot or more out of square and 6 or 8 inch difference in ceiling height in spots. So they just started over.

I can tell ya from doin what I do, there's not many houses that are square or plumb. We do some room additions and its pointless trying to get new foundation square with rest sometimes. Try to go straight off the existing walls to make it look right ususlly trumps getting it perfectly square.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GregH likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just had to throw that out there.:dan:

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I should have said "What carpenter doesn't know". :biggrin:

5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit that whoever built this original structure did a great job.

Whoever did the remodeling, add-ons and deck, however, most likely didn't know a saw from an axe and had absolutely no clue what a level is used for.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also live in a house like that. It is built way back off the street close to the alley and was originally just an unfinished basement under the living room, a living room, one bedroom, a dining room between the living room and hallway to the kitchen, a bathroom off the hallway, and then a really small kitchen. He got into some kind of fight with the city when he wanted to add on to the house on the front side towards the street and they denied issuing a permit for the work. So he decided to remodel it himself. He added a dining room on the alley side to make the kitchen bigger and made a pantry room out of the small carport area on the other side of the kitchen. He then finished the attic space and made two bedrooms up there...the ceiling angles are really crazy up there.
    He did all this work, I swear, without a square, level, or even a tape measure. To top it off, the house is one of those cement brick houses with stucco.
    Absolutely nothing is square or level. I redid the bathroom when I bought it, painted inside and out, put in new carpet, tiled the bathroom floor instead of the kitchen type carpet it had, and also did some Wilson Art tile in the kitchen, which also had carpet. When I tore up the carpet in the kitchen there was linoleum under it. So I tore that up too. Under that...was the most god awful tile job you've ever seen. It was so bad that you'd trip trying to walk across it. Bathroom floor was the same. Had to buy leveling concrete and just poured over it until I had a level surface. When I went to put up a large mirror in the bathroom, I was holding it in place with a level on top of it and getting ready to screw in the first hanger when my wife walked by and told me it was nowhere near level. The ceiling was so off level that I had to measure from the ceiling on each end of the mirror and fasten it so it was out of level the same so it would look right.
    I won't even talk about the low voltage switch system he installed in the living room with transformers all over the place or the rest of the wiring in the house. There's also a 3-way switch system in the upstairs master bedroom that doesn't work correctly and I can't figure out what he did. It appears to have a hot, switch leg, and all the travelers it should, yet I still can't get it to work.

Sota likes this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cannon06 likes this.
  9. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been away for a few days, so slowly catching up...

As a single person, I've yet to find a reason to buy a membership to Costco.

Cub is owned by Super Valu, which also used to own Red Owl (Ironically, I saw a Red Owl T-Shirt yesterday). I dislike Target as well for various reasons.

I'll be 48 in about three weeks, and have never been told to get a check yet. I will also decline when I turn 50 and they recommend it. No reason for this procedure, IMO.

When I was serving my sentence of marriage, myself and a few of my married friends used to say "Can look 'n lech. Just can't taste, touch or try."

As to coffee, I don't drink it. But, I do keep it in the house. I buy Caribou Medium Roast grounds. Seems most people seem to be okay with it. Though, because I don't drink it, I don't use an electric perc coffee maker. I have an old style percolator coffee maker because they never go bad. ;)

Yep. A few years ago, I read an article about how they broke down the percentages of a colonoscopy actually being useful in catching something. I forget the percentages. But, it was broken down by how many people actually get colon cancer compared to the number of scopes. Then, of those who have an "abnormality", a small percentage of those have a procedure done. Then, broken down into those who actually do have cancer or precancer. It was something like .03% of people actually benefit from it.

10. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A carpenter would know that, your problem is the deck wasn't built by a carpenter, it was probably a do-it-yourselfer who's deck building knowledge was gained from watching 3 episodes of bob vila and a 15 minute conversation with the Home Depot employee.

LittleChief likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really going to miss our old house when the new one is finished. It was built in 1921, nominal lumber, door frames that have wood dowels for whatever reason and built to outlast those who built them, real hardwood floors, masonry work that could never be replicated and the slate tile roof. I am however looking forward to all the new home bonuses. Just another six months to go.. after having started 8 months ago.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I finished up today around 1:00 ahead of schedule. I visited this landfill and had a 20 minute meeting with their engineer 2 years ago. I will never forget when I drove away with my Florida rep he was saying that was a waste, a dead end sales call. 2 years later with start up costs the project was $200,000 and the rep gets 15%. I sold it and started it up, filling in for our field services crew. That is why I am only at the office when I am in town from 10 to 3, getting home at 7:30 on a Saturday night.

13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In states where Costco is allowed to sell liquor, the savings on that alone will pay for your annual membership. Maker's Mark, Dewars, etc, is almost 50% cheaper than in a liquor store. Heck, their store brand blended scotch whiskey is as good as Dewars and is only $19.99 per big bottle.

When they sold store brand light beer, you could get a box of 48 for $20 and change. It was as good or better than any light beer I've had.

Just food for thought.

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhhh what a feeling pissing off most of family.

Had to go out today and steal the keys out of almost everything at grandparents because my grandpa can't figure out how to stay off stuff. Had to go out last night because was the thrid or fourth time he's fallen getting off mower and bout killed himself in last month. Grandma doesn't get around best and uncle that basically still lives with them can't do anything on his own or without getting told by grandpa. So went out and finished mowing and grabbed keys when got done. Told my grandma and she was like good, somebody needed to. And sent uncle msg saying same thing and he started goin on about how grandpa will be mad and I shoulda just left it alone. I was like someone had to be a adult. Don't think that went over well.

All could have been prevented if my uncle would grow a pair and start doin stuff. I usually mow anyway but couldn't make it out yesterday and it just got done raining for 3 days and the old guy gets impatient.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got to love it when someone doesnt clean a floor before they wax and buff it. Pubic hairs preserved for eternity. It is pleasant.

outdoorjoe, Artem256 and dnoodles like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    now that's a rant.

17. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fossilized pubes. Cool

virginiashadow and Artem256 like this.
  18. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That actually made my wife and I laugh out loud.

You're probably right.

Artem256 likes this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That dogs can't live as long as parrots.

No way am I going to be ready to let this guy go.

20190823_210652.jpg