Arrow selection?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by servsuper, Aug 20, 2019.

1. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I bought a used Bear Encounter and have been shooting it without problems. The bow is rated at 310 fps, the DW is set at 61#, and a 29" draw length. The arrows that came with the bow are cut to 28", and just barely make it past the whisker biscuit at full draw. (Some are 340 spine, some are 400 spine.) I know that I will not be able to shoot these to hunt with, as I don't have any room for the fixed broadheads. Since I need new arrows, I am looking for advice.

A guy at the local bow shop said I should be shooting the 400's (said I would never be able to get the 340's to fly straight) , but from the research I've seen so far, I need to be shooting the 340's. Also, the field tips that were on all the arrows were 125 grain, but he recommended I shoot 100 grain tips instead. I also plan to shoot 100 grain fixed blade broadheads.

I'm all about supporting my local shop, but was he correct in his advice or should I look elsewhere for assistance with arrow selection? I'm looking for recommendations for length, spine, fletchings, and weight.
    Thanks for any help / recommendations!

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO, the draw length should be longer. Over the years, I have read and/or heard the DL should be at least one inch past the grip or rest at full draw. Getting excited and drawing too far can put the arrow in places you don't want. Others will chime in here with more info. Good luck this season!
    Edit- overlooked part of your inquiry. I shoot 100 grain bullet points and 100 grain broadheads. My recommended arrow was a graphite 500. Works for me with my draw weight and draw length.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. 406ElkSlayer

406ElkSlayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 29.5" draw and a drop-away rest. 70# dw

My arrows are Easton Axis 350 spine at 30.5". Allows for broadhead clearance, allows me to try different (wider cutting diameter) fixed broadheads.

I have had no issues with shooting straight. I can stack them at 30 and I'm sure if my form was better I could do the same at 40+.

I shoot a Matthews Halon 32 with 125gr broadhead and a 50gr insert up front. This set up shoots at 272fps on the Chronograph. Primarily this is intended to have some punching power on elk/bear. For other big game animals, and even those 2 animals, 100gr will do the job for you.

Ultimately, your biggest concern will just be tuning. Try one or two different set ups in a shop, get some arrows downrange and see what your bow likes the most!

4. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If by draw length you mean arrow length, I agree. I think they should be cut to 30”. They are way too short as is (see the attached photo).

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums View attachment 94880

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Kchapman likes this.
  5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Missed that- arrow length. Thanks. With an eye like that, you should be great at tracking.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what kind of arrow you want to build. Are you just hunting deer, or elk, or hogs...?
    The guy at the archery shop's advice is a little confusing to me, as I'd say you want the 340's just like your research is showing. The 400's will probably be ok with a 100 grain head, but if you are almost drawing them off the rest I wouldn't mess with them for hunting.

Running your numbers through the Gold Tip calculator using 60-64 lbs draw weight range, a 29" arrow, under 315 fps, and with either a 100 grain tip or a 125 shows a 340 spine. If you were to go with a heavy insert like another 50 grains or something like that it would bump you to a 300 spine. Going to a 30" arrow will also bump you closer to a 300 spine. But honestly the charts have a buffer built into them and I personally would do a 340 spine with confidence that I could get it to shoot fine.
    A Gold Tip Hunter XT in 340 spine, cut to 29" with a 50 grain insert and a 100 grain head would put you at about 440 grains with a 12% FOC.
    With the accu inserts that come with the arrows at 12.1 grains and a 125 tip it will give you a 430 grain arrow with 11% FOC. Take the 125 tip out and do a 100 and you'll be around a 400 grain arrow and 9% FOC.