Pack Your Backup Release Now!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckHunterUnlimited, Aug 17, 2019.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Longdraw likes this.
  2. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup. Have to carry a backup because $#!T happens and stuff falls out of tree stands.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never have had a spare have never needed one.

Swamp Stalker and redpresto66 like this.
  4. redpresto66

redpresto66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a ground blind guy so my release stays in my pack zippered up until I’m in and ready to shoot. Thought of having a second one but rather put the money into broadheads or arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always keep my release on my grip on my bow when I am not shooting it, every single time.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wrist wrap stays on my bow handle when not in use and while being stored. Never brought a backup release but I also have never needed a backup while bowhunting for the last 15+ years

7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i always make sure to pack my backup release, dropped my thumb release into 9 inches of snow spent a long time looking for it, gave up hunted with backup.
    did end up finding it later on, but would have been finger shooting if i hadnt had my backup

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One is none. Backup packed

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used my spare last season, first time in 28 years bowhunting. Took a dump while elk hunting and it fell out of my pocket when I was squatting. I looked carefully for it .... I would rather not take another 200 **** again. Lucky i had a spare.

10. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a thumb release attached to the nock loop. One accidental bump and it could be on the ground. So yes I have a spare Stan Shootoff in my pack.

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like all the thumb release shooters bring a backup

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always carry an extra wrist release after my first one years ago came apart. Can't say what brand it is, but while elk hunting one morning I returned to camp at about 11:00 a.m. and then discovered that the head of my release had came unscrewed and fell off somewhere that morning. All that was there was the wrist strap and arm that the head attaches to. Miles from any store and no spare. I figured I was screwed, but started back to where I'd been that morning. I'd rode the atv a ways from camp and then hiked/called my way through a heavily timbered drainage that morning. Amazingly I found it a 1/4 mile from camp and didn't have to do a ton of searching, as it had fell off when I was riding the atv back to camp. It was laying in an old logging road not far from where it met up with the "main" gravel road in the area. No way I'd have ever found it if it had fell off in the drainage somewhere, I'd never have been able to perfectly retrace my route through it. Since then I've always carried a spare, but haven't ever needed it.
    A friend recently just had his release fail on him at the last 3d shoot we went to. One side of the jaws had the spring break or something. It would close and open normally when you tried it off the string, but when he clipped it to the string and tried to draw it would pop open and release the string. Popped himself in the mouth pretty good when it happened at about 3/8 draw. He finished the shoot with my back up, and it reiterated to me why I carry a back up.