Was wondering if anyone has experience with cellular cameras

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by justinwmoe88, Oct 23, 2018.

1. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking to buy a cellular camera for a bedding area but don’t know anyone who uses them. I’m on the Verizon network. Any brands or advice would be appreciated

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The only brand I have experience with that runs on Verizon's network is Spartan. The cameras are pretty pricey but the technology is rock solid - they never miss a beat with sending photos and their app is great as well. The cameras themselves leave a lot to be desired in the way of photo quality and trigger speed though. They're passable, but not the best by any means.

IF you have AT&T service in your area the new Stealth Cam WXA is very nice. Photo quality and trigger speed are just as good as the top of the line Stealth Cams and the cell service/app have proven to be very reliable. You can get a full year of pre-paid service for $75 per camera so they won't break the bank either. If AT&T is an option I think these cameras are great. If Verizon is a must then look at Spartan or possibly Covert.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so one thing to note is that you don't necessarily have to connect it to your existing cell plan. Some of the prepaid sim cards are actually cheaper than adding it to your account and a lot less headache. For example to add a line you may pay like 20 a month but you can get prepaid 2GB of data for 3 months for 25.

I second what Justin said the SteatlhCam WXA is a great camera. A far improvement over their first release and they do seem to have worked the issues out with the app.

I have the original covert as well on AT&T and it works just like batteries. I have heard the newer ones are better but have no experience with them. Snyper Hunting Products makes a decent cam the uses either AT&T or the "Hero" Sim which uses any carriers network I believe. I've only used AT&T but the Snyper 4G Commander has a building cell booster but seems to do well on battery.

Regardless of what you go with I would also invest in an external battery pack just else they tend to die at the most inopportune moments.

Good luck!

4. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys both the advice I think I’m gonna look into the stealth cam

5. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    stealth has some GX series that are verizon compatible for around 300 i see

6. Firek920

Firek920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heard good things about spy point

Eddie234 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  7. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I have they’re xcel 1080 action camera and it works awesome! My brother is using the spypoint link micro right now so we will see how it goes. So far he loves it.

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any update from your brother on how the micro is performing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update on the Moultrie Cell Cam...The camera, app, and customer service is great...lynch pin being the cell service. It is not as strong as I would like for a cell cam. I have 2 of them, and if you can get good cell phone service where you place the camera, you should have consistent operation and sending photos to the app is solid. If you have 1 bar of cell service (basically if you have problems streaming Youtube for example) then the camera probably won't consistently send photos. One of my cams has 70% modem signal and works like a charm, the other has 30% modem signal and stopped sending pics completely after a week. Conclusion: if you are very remote and have limited cell service on your phone, then I'd go with a more expensive camera that has stronger signal strength/antenna, or at least a camera where you can add a signal booster antenna. Hope this makes sense.