Piebald Deer (Shoot or Pass)

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Justin Goins, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, guys I have this little 6 point piebald on camera. He is a really beautiful piebald but I want to let him walk and let him grow to get bigger hopefully. The only problem is I hunt a high pressured area. I only hunt a couple acres but all the properties surrounding me are hunted hard. I know of at least 3 hunters around me that I talked to and they said they are going to shoot it if they get the chance and they wouldn't agree with me to give it another year or two atleast. So what would you do if he gave you the opportunity a shot at him? I am torn and its going to be hard to pass him up knowing he probably won't make it threw this season. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are you going to do with the hide if you do shoot it? If it is just to shoot a piebald and eat the meat then I would hold off. If you plan to mount it regardless then go for it. I would have a hard time passing it up "in the moment" because your adrenaline starts pumping but then I would feel like I need to at least tan the hide or something.

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about what your neighbors shoot. If you want him to get older, then don't shoot him. Can't control what the deer does or your neighbor. If you do shoot it, then there is zero chance for it. I had a almost all white piebald that I have been passing the last 2 years. During rifle it got shot, it probably only weighs 80 lbs. The only reason the guy shot it was because it was white. It bothered me a little, but I got over it quickly. There will always be others. Also there might be a chance he will disappear and make it another season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fix likes this.
  4. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do what you want man, but don't talk yourself into killing it because it might die by another hands.

HardLuckLarry and Suncrest08 like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot. I watched this one for 3 1/2 years and would have kept just watching it if it hadn't been for a twat neighbor posting on social media how he was going to shoot it. As for the full body mount, good luck they start at $3k, I have the room and the money but still went with a shoulder mount. 20171122_175911.jpg 20180913_123331.jpg

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn’t let a neighbor dictate what you do, that’s the name of the game when you pass deer. Take the gamble and let it reach potential or kill it young. Whatever you decide it’s your call and if your happy with it do it, but don’t justify a kill bc your worried about others. Hunt your way and for yourself.

8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    pass it

9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could go either way, but it is awfully small.
    I personally would probably gamble on it making it through and wouldn't shoot it. Sure, you'll be disappointed if someone else shoots it this year, but you'll know that you did the right thing for you personally plus you can focus your disappointment at the jackwagon that did shoot the bambi if it happens lol.

But...if deep down it is really important to you that you shoot it, then better take it if you get the chance. If I did take a deer that looked like that, I'd do a head mount, tan the hide to hang on the wall, and a young deer like that will eat good too.

10. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys. Great advice. If he gets my adrenaline going and excited then I'll probably shoot it but for now I will pass on it cause I got some for sure shooters that I have been chasing for 3 years now. If my fiance gets a shot at it, I told her to shoot it. It would be her first ever bow kill.