Almost here, so time to tell...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Aug 16, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your wildest deer encounters.
    I have many actually because I am in the woods EVERY day. I am also not too brilliant at times, so when looking back I can say Never do this or that!
    One in that realm was while hunting at camp, steep hill country , I had a brawl with a buck.
    Husbands was on stand at top of hill, so I walked down the hill to turn and push deer up toward him. As I walked stopped and listened the hunters below us in the valley let loose. It sounded like a war movie and not that far away. I continued back up the hill along the hedge row when I heard a rushing sound and froze. About then a buck cleared the hedge above me. His feet tucked so tight I couldn't see his hooves and half way over the hedge he saw me and eyes as big as saucers he yanked his head back slowing his " flight". This all happened in a split second but felt like a long time. It was enough time for me to react in dropping to one knee as I swung my shot gun into a two hand grip and shoved it out and above my head. He hit my right side and we were in the snow rolling around kicking each other. We finally broke free of each other and he was digging in his front feet trying to get his hind legs under him to get away. I had lost my brain by now and not even thinking grabbed the shot gun and let loose. HOW STUPID WAS THAT! I had no idea what was stuffed in that barrel and even with him feet away I missed every shot. Off he went leaving me terrified. I could thank Field and Stream for that because the night before I had read the "when deer attack" articles. I went from tree to tree up the hill thinking he may come back. Back then it was walkie talkies, no cell phones, I stopped at a big oak and sat down . Husband heard the shots and called when he hadn't heard from me. All he heard was my garbled sobs. A few minutes later he came barreling down the hill past me and I called out. He looked worried sick. Are you shot I heard shots are you OK? All I could manage to sob out was.... " I wet my pants ". He stood back and started laughing. Then helped me to the cabin as I told him what happened. That buck literally kicked the pizz out of me. I slept for 3 days and looked like a bruised turd. Funny now not then. But I have been a deer killing machine from that year on..bambi my butt!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    gri22ly likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Old you are a bas ass. I have nothing that would ever come close to a deer fight.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol not by choice....

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I know but still, you fought a buck and the buck didn't win. Don't feel bad about peeing your pants I pissed my pants when I got hit by a car when I was in second grade. I did not cry though.:lol:

5. Theana9

Theana9 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some crazy encounters(Most involve bobcats)

I had a very similar experience, less the physical assault very early in my hunting life. The people I was hunting with was doing a deer drive, so they set me up in a spot. The walked the draw of timber. Out of nowhere this doe come flying down the trail I was standing on and literally ran right past me, like inches. I didn't even see her until she was almost on top of me. Like an idiot I swung and shot, missing everything and feeling pretty dumb afterwards/

One day I was sneaking in to check a trail camera. I was almost there when I heard something coming down the trail so I froze and watched. It was a bobcat carrying a dead squirrel. The bobcat made it to about 6 feet from me before a whistled at him. He dropped the squirrel and bolted about 20 yards then looked back and just starred and growled at me.

Another time I was walked down the hedge row to get to a trail camera on the back corner of my property. On my way back I saw 4 or 5 bobcat kittens playing on the hedge trees like it was a jungle gym. Watched them for a good 10 minutes. Then I noticed their mother walking out of the beans into the hedge row. As soon as she stepped into the shadows she saw me there and her mothering instincts kicked in. She started growling and walking towards me. I got out of there PDQ.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No other encounters? I know you guys have got to have some interesting encounter.