Advice on Arrows

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by GDL343, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GDL343

GDL343 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have just purchased my first bow and need advice on the best arrows. I will be shooting a Bowtech Realm SR6 60# with a ripcord drop away rest. So far I am leaning towards the Easton Full Metal jackets either 5mm, or 6mm. I have pretty much ruled out the 4mm due to breakage, bending and limited broadhead selection. Thoughts and Suggestions please?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So much to consider. Are you shopping online or at a shop? Are you building them? Do you wanna shoot normal small or micro ? What distances do you shoot? Have you looked into Black Eagle?

3. GDL343

GDL343 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can do either online or at a shop. wasn't going to build them planned on purchasing them. shooting whitetail from 12 -35 yards. I will look up Black eagle now i have never heard of them

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is allot you can put into your arrows. All depends on how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go man. How much do you wanna spend. If you are just starting out I would buy arrows all set to go. If you have a shop close and don't mind spending a little more it's always a good idea to support a good shop (they are very helpful) they can help you decide on weight and spine and diameter.

Spalding likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also look in this forum there is lots of threads about picking the right arrow.

6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What fix said- local shops can be very helpful. I know that BPS isn't exactly a Mom-and-Pop store but I have had good luck with the guys at the archery department at the Chattanooga store.

Fix likes this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also recommend a local shop. They will ensure you get set up with arrows with the correct spine and weight for what you want them for. Local shops are fabulous for knowledge and repairs when something happens with your set up...when something fails during hunting season they are even more important. Support that local shop! A day will come when you'll be happy they are still there.
    Do some reading and know before hand what kind of arrow weight you're after. Some guys like a heavy setup that can go through the shoulder, some want more speed to lessen drop for unknown yardage shots, and some go for a bit of both.
    I've shot Goldtip arrows for years now and have never been disappointed with them, I still have some old 5575's that have thousands of shots on them and are still good. Currently running some Hunter Pro's for 3D shoots and just bought a dozen Hunter XT's to set up for a new hunting arrow (going to build them heavier than my normal set up with a higher FOC). I've never tried any other carbon arrows, so can't recommend anything else.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do yourself a favor and hold off on the FMJs till you get some experience.
    Stick with an all carbon regular diameter shaft with standard inserts like a Goldtip Hunter xt, Black Eagle Carnivores, Easton Hexx or Bloodlines.

If you post up your spec someone here can help you with the correct spine. Draw length, draw weight, arrow length and point weight.

9. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Gold Tip Hunter XTs. Find the arrow/s you like, check the company charts, then shoot one spine above and one spine below the chart recommendation. Different bows handle spines regardless of the manufacture recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Longdraw likes this.
  10. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Victory arrows are great plus there cheaper than most brands I personally like the RIP the best

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

BuckHunterUnlimited likes this.
  11. minnesota1102

minnesota1102 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do yourself a favor and go into a shop. They will take into consideration your bow, draw length , draw weight and what you are expecting out of your arrow. If you are sticking to shots inside 40, ecspecially with that particular bow, you dont have to overthink it to much. I shoot FMJs and amd happy with the heavier arrow and the penetration , but any standard size arrow with the correct spine (goldtip, blackeagle, Easton, etc) will do the job on a deer inside of 30 and will group very well if properly tuned. Everybody has a different opinion on arrows, and your local shop will be able to walk you through the advantages, disadvantages of every arrow set up.

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot Gold Tip in the past and liked them a lot. Switched to Black Eagle with my new bow and like them a lot too. Heard lots of good things about the Easton stuff too. All of them are fairly close in price too so mostly it's just up to your preference.