Resources for deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John T., Aug 13, 2019.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been pondering the "Where do I go?" for several weeks after looking at the camera photos of deer. I have a topo map of Tennessee that is fairly detailed to show places with potential. It occurred to me that I have a Hunter Education class coming up next week. The opening part is a presentation by a wildlife officer...who has the general area where I would like to hunt. Here is my equation- Officer + topo map = places to hunt. Now to do some scouting but not enough to disturb the deer. Your thoughts? Anyone use onXmaps as a resource? Considering spending a few bucks and getting the one for TN. TIA.

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX quite a bit. I may be a little too dependent on it. Even when I’m not looking for places to hunt I use it. It’s pretty handy

3. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes on the OnX. Most state agencies nowadays will have an online map showing public land. I'd be shocked if TN didn't. I use mine regularly during the summer and fall.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX but I hunt a small piece of private land so really haven't used the app to it's full potential. I have used it for marking a couple of places I'd like to scout on public but haven't made it there yet. I think it's a great resource because of 2 things; property lines and based on public information records, who owns it.

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you could do pretty good just opening two tabs....one of google maps' satellite view and the other with the online DNR map.