Moultrie XA7000i cellular camera

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Jul 8, 2019.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I am thinking about buying one of new Moultrie XA7000i cellular trailer cameras and wanted to see if anyone had one and how do you like it. What are the pros and cons. From what I read this particular camera is supposed to be 20 mega pixels so I would think it should take good pics but I have never had a cellular style camera and all of the pics I have seen online whether it be Moultrie, Spy Point, etc the pics don't look that crisp and clear. Is that just something to do with how they are sent? Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

2. Jim L

Jim L Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought one last week and its working good. Check your area for reception before you order make sure you have good cell service in the area your going use. Easy to set up and work with. So far folks at Moultrie are good to work with.. Setting in the camera you use can effect your battery life. You must use the hi efficient batteries.

JHasty likes this.
  3. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jim L. Luckily I have good service with Verizon and AT&T in my area. I always like to get people who have used the products advice before I buy. I never trust what you see on tv because we all know how that goes. According to the celebs who endorse the product theirs is the best out there and there is nothing better. I have a couple of Moultrie cameras and have had a good experience with them I was just nervous because I have never had a cellular camera and didn't want to drop alot of money on something that was junk.

Jim L likes this.
  4. Jim L

Jim L Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you order now with Cabelas(have not checked other sites) there is a $50. rebate to go with camera plus 3 year warranty. Here is a pix I got this morn from he camera. This is HD not super HD
    [​IMG]

JHasty likes this.
  5. Jim L

Jim L Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to say went thru the first cam and now the second one and both have failed. Sent back one to Moultrie and one I sent back to Cabelas for refund. I was hoping it would work and it did for a few days but that was all.. Maybe the new ones will work better...

JHasty likes this.
  6. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Myself and my hunting buddy both ordered the same one, I will post an update when its been up for a couple weeks. I heard the Moultrie App is outstanding, but its been rough to get good consistency from the cameras. With the rebate, I paid about $120. I wonder if there are other affordable cell cam brands with better reviews than this Moultrie?

JHasty likes this.
  7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know if the cell cam will work as a stand alone "regular" camera? If the modem doesn't work well, or service is crap, I wonder if the camera will operate as a normal non-cell camera.

JHasty likes this.
  8. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cannon06 from everything I have heard it will work just like a regular camera and save images/videos to a SD card if you ever wanted to deactivate the cellular feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Cannon06 likes this.
  9. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cannon06 I know spy point has a cellular camera called the micro that’s $150 but it is only 10 mega pixel where the Moultrie is 20 mega pixel so I’m not sure what kind of pic quality you would get. I was just in a FB forum and there was some people saying the micro’s night time pic weren’t that great

10. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jim L what kind of failure were you getting? Was the cameras not working at all or were they not sending pics? I had just about made my mind up to go buy one but don’t want to spend that money if they aren’t going to work. I already have a couple of Moultrie cameras so I’m wondering if it would be better for me to just buy one of the MV2 modems and hook to the camera and make it a cell camera or just bite the bullet and get one of these. Only thing I was worried about with the modem is the amount of batteries I’d be using. My cam holds 8 and I think the modem holds 12. I guess I could get a 12 volt external battery but where I’d have the camera there’s not much sun light so a solar panel to recharge the external battery prob would not work

11. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update on Moultrie cell camera. It's been up for 3 days and so far so good. Pictures upload fast, and it seems to have a quality trigger. Photo quality good during day and night. downloaded637006335128805870_248334719972395.jpg downloaded637005058167852580_204347876856935.jpg

325Ranger82 and JHasty like this.
  12. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How much are the plans a month? I know there's probably different packages to pick from correct?

JHasty likes this.
  13. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I chose $14.99 for 1500 photos per month. They have a $9.99 option for 850 a month.

JHasty and kjstaudt86 like this.
  14. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cannon I went out and got the XA (AT&T) version and I cant get it to send pics. When I log into my Moultrie mobile account it says I only have 7% modem which is crazy because my personal phone is AT&T and my work phone is Verizon and I have LTE coverage on both phones where I had the camera out. I even went on the Moultrie's website and checked both AT&T's and Verizon's coverage and it shows I should have great service so I don't know if I am going to take it back and get my money back or try the Verizon version of this camera. I followed all of the instructions setting it up and even got the test pics that it tells you to take prior to setting it up so I am kinda of disappointed. I emailed Moultire and they said if I go back to where I had the camera put out to call them and they would help me to try to pinpoint better service but that doesn't really help me because I had my camera put out over my feeder so if I walk around the woods trying to find a better signal (even if I can find one) I cant see everything that is coming in to my feeder. I had pictures on the SD card and the camera took great pics but its kinda pointless to have a cellular camera if I'm going to have to go to the camera and pull the card to view my pics.

15. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they have several different plans. I went with the $19.99 a month and get 3,000 pics each month but they have a cheaper plan too

16. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The first time I put it out, I had to format the SD card and go through set up process twice before it showed good signal. My phone has good signal where I'm at, and I checked my modem and I'm at 70%. I would return it to Moultrie for a new camera before I gave up on it. I ordered an additional one, so I'll update when I get it set up.

JHasty likes this.
  17. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advise Cannon. I didn't even think of trying to go through the set up process again just to see if I got different results. I know in the manual its says don't use any SD cards that say High Speed, extreme, etc... I did not realize it until the other day but the SD card I purchased does say high speed or something along those lines but I would not think that would have anything to do with the modem strength but I am new to the whole cell camera world.

18. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good information here. I have been thinking about getting one myself since I have had great luck with all of my other Moultrie cams. It does make me nervous reading reviews and seeing the cam seems to be so hit an miss though.

JHasty likes this.
  19. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Henson I really wish I could give a better review. I ended up taking the camera back and getting a refund. I went through the whole process over again and went from having 7% modem strength to 11% and that was in my yard which was in the wide open with no obstructions so I’d imagine in the woods where I had it I wouldn’t have had any service. As far as pics go the ones that it took and stored in the SD card were awesome. Great day and night time quality but if kind of defeats the purpose of having a cell cam if you still have to go and pull the cards to review the pics. The version I had was the AT&T so the Verizon one may be better. I would imagine if you had the camera out in the open like on a tree on the edge of a field or over looking a food plot where there were no obstructions it would probably work like a charm. I have two other Moultrie cameras and haven’t had the first issue with them so as far as the company goes I’ve been pleased but I think this is just one of those situations where this is a new product and they are going to have to work all of the bugs out

20. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hasty, that sucks. I think you're right though, future gens of this Moultrie cam should have issues corrected. If you try another brand, post an update.

JHasty likes this.